Acura to add a CR-V based model?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura to add a CR-V based model?

Read it in Motor Trend, no time soon though. Looks like their going more downmarket.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:58 AM
I'm Cool

downmarket?? as in how lexus share platforms with toyotas?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:45 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's too bad it won't happen for a few years. I'd love to get a CR-V sized car with an Acura level interior (leather, navigation, steering wheel controls, OnStar, etc). There aren't any out there now.

I'm probably buying a CR-V within the next month or so for my wife and we've been shopping around. She thinks the mid-sized SUV class is too big (MDX, RX330/300, Highlander, Volvo, etc). The tiny SUV market really has no luxury segment, something that we'd appreciate.

Cars in this class now: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Jeep Liberty, Ford Escape, Suzuki Vitara & Grand Vitara, Honda Element, Rover Freelander, Mazda Tribute, Geo Tracker. This segment is begging for an upscale model.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
downmarket? they can't get any lower unless they start selling EL's.

it'll probably be like the RSX is to the civic. Not very downscale, just entry luxury.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:42 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Slimey
I'm probably buying a CR-V within the next month or so for my wife and we've been shopping around. She thinks the mid-sized SUV class is too big (MDX, RX330/300, Highlander, Volvo, etc).
Definitely check out the RAV-4 before you buy the CRV.
The wife and I were back and forth between the two and ended up getting the RAV4.

The Honda has a nicer interior, but I just couldn’t get past those UGLY black bumpers and the limited rear visibility in the CRV.
Plus, unlike the Honda, the back seats of the RAV4 can be completely removed for a much larger open cargo area.
The CRV drives like a minivan while the RAV4 is lighter and more agile because of its shorter length.
And I got nearly 3,000 off retail from Toyota while the best I could do with Honda was about 1,100.
The RAV4 is built in Japan while the CRV is built in ENGLAND of all places.
I was worried about quality issues.

I saw the Motor Trend article on the new Acura SUV, but the sucker will probably end up costing 30-35K and be have some tough competition on the market.
Hopefully Acura doesn’t screw up and keep the 4-popper under the hood.

Shawn S
Old 07-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm sure without a doubt it'll be an I4, similar to the TSX. It's too bad...

In a few years we'll be in the SUV marker and I'm sure we'll at least see what Acura has on the table. It would be nice to get back into the family again.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Shawn S
Definitely check out the RAV-4 before you buy the CRV.
The wife and I were back and forth between the two and ended up getting the RAV4.

The Honda has a nicer interior, but I just couldn’t get past those UGLY black bumpers and the limited rear visibility in the CRV.
Plus, unlike the Honda, the back seats of the RAV4 can be completely removed for a much larger open cargo area.
The CRV drives like a minivan while the RAV4 is lighter and more agile because of its shorter length.
And I got nearly 3,000 off retail from Toyota while the best I could do with Honda was about 1,100.
The RAV4 is built in Japan while the CRV is built in ENGLAND of all places.
I was worried about quality issues.

I saw the Motor Trend article on the new Acura SUV, but the sucker will probably end up costing 30-35K and be have some tough competition on the market.
Hopefully Acura doesn’t screw up and keep the 4-popper under the hood.

Shawn S
Thanks and I remember your reports about shopping for this car too.

We're definitely in the early 'shopping' phase of the process and both the CR-V and the RAV4 are at the top of the list. She still has to drive them and figure out what she likes (ultimately it matters very little what I think because I won't be driving it too much).

The more I think about 'need' at this point, the more I think we should wait until Aug/Sep to make the purchase, and with that in mind I may want to see what the 2004 model year adds, if anything. I don't think either model is destined for any major changes with the new model year.

It'd really be nice if they came with a navigation system. My wife loves the Acura navigation and sees this as a near necessary part of a new vehicle. I might have to add an aftermarket navi to her new compact SUV.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

doesn't sound like a bad idea as long as its really nice inside. i think the crv has a cheap interior for the price they sell it at, maybe when it gets redesigned it will get a little larger and have materials to match the accords.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:12 PM

downmarket?? as in how lexus share platforms with toyotas?
Take it easy. You don't see Lexus Rav-4s do you?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:12 PM
__

first off this is a repost, and on top of that it's old news.....

but anyway, I agree that Acura is going "downmarket," but then again they may see a new trend segment ahead....such as the X3. Is the next hot thing going to be small luxury SUV's???? BMW is producing one, Land Rover has one, Volvo is going to make an XC50 mini-ute....so maybe Acura is just "ahead" of the game? I am sure that if this segment becomes popular, we will quickly see a Lexus based off of the Rav4....so don't be too cocky sick
Old 07-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Slimey
It's too bad it won't happen for a few years. I'd love to get a CR-V sized car with an Acura level interior (leather, navigation, steering wheel controls, OnStar, etc). There aren't any out there now.

I'm probably buying a CR-V within the next month or so for my wife and we've been shopping around. She thinks the mid-sized SUV class is too big (MDX, RX330/300, Highlander, Volvo, etc). The tiny SUV market really has no luxury segment, something that we'd appreciate.

Cars in this class now: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Jeep Liberty, Ford Escape, Suzuki Vitara & Grand Vitara, Honda Element, Rover Freelander, Mazda Tribute, Geo Tracker. This segment is begging for an upscale model.
I've thought about the CRV a little myself. I like the styling direction it's taken in the last generation (and it looks far better than the Rav4). But I just can't see myself in a car like that. It'd be like downscaling to a Civic...just isn't going to happen. However, I'd hit a Acura version. The MDX is just too big. A CRV sized SUV is just right.

I know it won't have a V6 though. It'll most likely be the 2.4l...which is just fine with me.

But Slimey, if you're looking for a compact lux SUV, I hear a Mercury version of the Escape is on the way. It's supposed to have a little more lux than the Escapse. Hopefully, by the time I feel the need for an SUV, the Acura CRV will be ready.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Zoot
but anyway, I agree that Acura is going "downmarket," but then again they may see a new trend segment ahead....such as the X3. Is the next hot thing going to be small luxury SUV's???? BMW is producing one, Land Rover has one, Volvo is going to make an XC50 mini-ute....so maybe Acura is just "ahead" of the game? I am sure that if this segment becomes popular, we will quickly see a Lexus based off of the Rav4....so don't be too cocky sick

And didn't I read something a little while ago that Honda/Acura is very pleased with its sales in the light truck market and plan to expand the models? I mean, the MDX is Acura's #1 seller...and it's their only SUV. So, I can easily see them adding atleast one more. A full sized SUV really wouldn't be Acura's style (especially without no V8 option) so a compact makes more sense...and whould make more money too.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here's the article...
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=107092
Old 07-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by AcuraFan
But Slimey, if you're looking for a compact lux SUV, I hear a Mercury version of the Escape is on the way. It's supposed to have a little more lux than the Escapse. Hopefully, by the time I feel the need for an SUV, the Acura CRV will be ready.
My wife is allergic to Ford products, and I fully support this allergy. She ain't interested.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I understand. I tend to break out when I get near pretty much any domestics...
Old 07-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by AcuraFan
I understand. I tend to break out when I get near pretty much any domestics...
It's funny though, she also had the same allergy when I suggested we look at Suzuki, Kia, or Hyundai products.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:19 PM

But Slimey, if you're looking for a compact lux SUV, I hear a Mercury version of the Escape is on the way. It's supposed to have a little more lux than the Escapse. Hopefully, by the time I feel the need for an SUV, the Acura CRV will be ready
Mercury is not a luxury brand.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Racer

Toyota Scion XB comes to mind....

read more about it here:
http://www.toyota.com/about/news/pro...n-pricing.html
Old 07-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Mercury is not a luxury brand.
You're right, it's not. But this Mercury version of the Escape will have more "luxury" features than a Ford Escape. The point is, at the moment, there are no compact Lux SUVs. You can't have both, it's one or the other...and if you're not going to move up to midsized, then you're only alternative is a regular compact SUV. The frontrunners, CRV and Rav4 were already mentioned so I thought I'd mention one that's supposedly a step up from most of the domestic compact SUVs.

I guess what this conversation comes down to is, we see a need for a compact Lux SUV...now we just have to wait for Acura to build it.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sdho
Toyota Scion XB comes to mind....
That's too mini-vanish and way underpowered. If you're looking for a box on wheels, the Element is a much better choice. IMHO.