8K on CLS 6-speed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 07:18 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8K on CLS 6-speed...

I've had my new CLS for almost 4 months and it's about to hit the 8K mile mark. These have all been touring miles as the car is NOT a daily driver. I thought it might be useful to those considering a CLS purchase what one driver's impressions might be at this state.

I've gotten quite used to the clutch action. The way it grabs quickly off the floor is still not my preference but I've accomodated to it. Initially I had moved the seat closer to have better control but it's now much further back. With its positive engagement, I expect this clutch to last the life of the car. However, I still intend to purchase Honda's extended warranty.

The shifter is butter smooth with only the slightest hint of notchiness. It's still sometimes an effort to remember what gear is in engaged as the engine pulls strongly in all gears (failing mental acuity may also be a factor). And, of course, with the tight gearshift spacing it's next to impossible to tell visually as to gear position (bifocals may also be a factor). Driving slowly around city streets in low gears will never be very smooth as the gearing and torque make on-off throttle response very sensitive. My wife minds but not I. It's just evidence of the gobs of power readily available.

The least talked about performance feature of this car is the Helical LSD. It positively transforms the feeling of this front driver not into a rear driver but into a more athletic, dynamic and engaging car. I knew the HLSD would be an improvement for this FWD fan but I didn't think it would be this much fun too. It doesn't totally eliminate torque steer but does tame and control it. I originally passed on the Maxima because I was waiting for its own HLSD introduction, but then we drove the CLS.

I still think the Michelins are undersized for this car and their wet performance is less than average. However, my confidence in the car's handling prowess has grown considerably. It is quite tossable. This is hard for me to do psychologically as I don't associate this level of tossability with this much luxury. I certainly don't drive to the nth but I can't wait till the tires get replaced by some wider shoes. Overall, this car is a great compromise between ride quality, and handling. The shocks seem right for these tires but might be too loose with larger ones. It will be important to keep unsprung weight close to original.

I continue to be impressed by Acura's selection of quality interior materials. It was an important factor in its purchase as I couldn't even look at a Max after test driving the CLS. The ebony/titanium combo was the perfect choice for us and my wife's critical esthetic is still pleased. Storage space is aqequate. The glovebox is slightly undersized but does hold the V1 comfortably. The center front console is useful for casettes, and the rear one holds plenty of CDs. Controls are all readily at hand and the instruments are easily read.

The entertainment system is perfectly adequate. I'm not looking for quality on the level of my home's Martin-Logan Aerius speakers. I'd rather invest big bucks in a home system then in an auto whose background noise level is anything but musical. Anyway, I get good performance with the bass up 3 notches, the treble up 1 notch, and the fader forward 1 notch. Your ears may vary. I expected the CD quality to be superior, and it is. But I didn't expect the casette quality to be this high. I've recorded mine on a home Nakamichi unit and they replay through the Bose beautifully. The in-glass radio antenna is not my favorite. Reception distance is shortened and dropouts are more frequent. On the other hand, it doesn't make any wind noise, looks better, and can't be damaged in a car wash (oh no).

The exterior is still handsome. I've never been a fan of the rice and chrome schools so the CLS's understatement suits me fine. The Nighthawk paint application was superlative and seems to be tactually softer. It certainly looks beautiful under carnauba. Brake dust is minimal.

Fuel mileage in city driving is in the very low 20s and it needs premium to boot. However this is offset by its very high 20s highway mileage and sizeable fuel tank. 400 miles is easily achievable between stops to smell the roses. Major trips have included Philly - Miami, and Philly - Hilton Head.

Problem areas:

Mooroof squeaks have been recently tamed by the dealer's installation of anti-squeak tape around the inside perimeter of the moonroof opening. This should have been factory installed.

The interior mirror "flopped" and during its replacement the windshield was broken, and it's own replacement scratched. All is well now except that a non-factory molding was used. It may be aerodynamically cleaner. The dealer's attitude was: WOW you got a new mirror and windshield WOW. My attitude was far more reserved!

Ingress and egress to the rear is a chore. Once there, it's quite comfy, or so my passengers tell me. The TL is not a solution as it lacks a manual tranny.

The seatbelt anchor points on the B pillar are non-adjustable. I knew this before purchase and have learned to live with it. I'm short and the belt hits me in the neck. Wearing shirts with collars really helps.

The front of the seat could be lower. I've raised the back to have a more level seat.

Overall the car is quiet, comfortable, solid, and fast. I rate the CLS an A-. It's just a bit short of perfect.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:25 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
That is great!! You should start writing as a long term follow-up author for edmunds or something! I am glad to see that life is good with the six speed. I am very envious.
Are you planning on changing your rubber anytime soon or will you just wait until this rubber needs changing?

Glad to see that you are happy with your vehicle. Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2002, 10:13 AM
CL 6 speeder

Nice Review

I enjoyed reading it. What is your assesment of how the HLSD effects cornering?
Old 07-14-2002, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: 8K on CLS 6-speed...

Originally posted by Klamalama
Mooroof squeaks...........
The front of the seat could be lower.
I have 6k on mine and these are the only 2 complaints I have. I havn't fixed the roof yet. I do regret not getting the nav. I'm looking into an aftermarket system.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:26 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Great review.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:54 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Originally posted by Loseit
That is great!! You should start writing as a long term follow-up author for edmunds or something! I am glad to see that life is good with the six speed. I am very envious.
Are you planning on changing your rubber anytime soon or will you just wait until this rubber needs changing?

Glad to see that you are happy with your vehicle. Enjoy!
I can't justify replacing the rubber now unless someone could buy the tires. I'll likely wait to at least 20K.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: Nice Review

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
I enjoyed reading it. What is your assesment of how the HLSD effects cornering?
The HLSD doesn't improve cornering limits because that is tire and suspension dependent. What it does is let you power out of a turn more effectively. As anyone who has driven a FWD can attest, the inside front wheel lifts in a turn and, because it's more lightly loaded, receives most of the power from the differential. These two combined events overwhelm the tire's available traction and cause it to spin.

It would be far better if the more highly loaded outside tire were to receive more of the engine's power. This is what the HLSD does. Because of the natural weight transfer to the outside tire it has more traction available. The HLSD puts it there.

Can you feel it in daily driving? I can feel it working even when not driving near the limits. It certainly inspires confidence in the car's ability to get around a curve.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:11 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: Re: 8K on CLS 6-speed...

Originally posted by 6speed

I have 6k on mine and these are the only 2 complaints I have. I havn't fixed the roof yet. I do regret not getting the nav. I'm looking into an aftermarket system.
I don't regret not getting the NAV. Anyway, none of the 6-speeds on my dealer's lot had it available. However, if you do find something in the aftermarket that's not outrageously priced then please let us know.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: 8K on CLS 6-speed...

However, if you do find something in the aftermarket that's not outrageously priced then please let us know.
I'm not concerned so much about the price. I figure it will run about 2k. I'm just want a good install. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Ouchie

Long enough review?...LOL.. Damn how can your car be 4 months old and have 8000 miles on it and not be a daily driver??.. my goodness.... I have had mine for 3 months and i got 1600 on it...LOL...

Smitty
Old 07-14-2002, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

Great review man.
Looks like you’re winning the “most miles in the shortest time” award for us 6-Speed owners.
That’s one competition I DON’T care to excel at.

Shawn S
Old 07-14-2002, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

ditto

Originally posted by Shawn S
Great review man.
Looks like you’re winning the “most miles in the shortest time” award for us 6-Speed owners.
That’s one competition I DON’T care to excel at.

Shawn S

Yep yep i highly agree there.... stack them on... someones got to drive it and see if it breaks...

Smitty
Old 07-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

how bout you work for a car magazine company. I swore i was reading something out of edmunds or motor trend
Old 07-14-2002, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

damn dude......nice novel u got goin here. very imformative, are u sure u arent a writer from some firm? well, i dont think that u have the most miles on this 6-speed. i remember someone else having alot of miles too. however i have 9100 miles on mine and i have 4 months on this too. i did my oil change already and im still debating on whether i should change it tomorrow again with my tire rotations. anyhow, our michellins suck donkeys and i cant wait to change them out. Shawn..........i thought u bought your car with the navi.....damn......u should have bought it. this navi has helped me numerous times even though it took me the long way, but as long as i got to my destination. couple times to San Jose, then looking for businesses and such around here. anyhow, i cant get enough of our 6speed....just have to get those damn Comp headers now :P :P
Old 07-15-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro

Excellent write up with reserved objectivity. I will have to look into acquiring a 6-Speed now
Old 07-15-2002, 07:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by crazymongol
Shawn..........i thought u bought your car with the navi.....damn......u should have bought it.
YES....I have NAVI.
See my SIG below.
What makes you think I don’t ???

Shawn S
Old 07-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Where's your 6th gear?

Great write-up. Very accurate. Even though ingress and egress to the rear is a task, the "cool factor" of the seats motoring forward and back without intervention makes people forget that they have to contort like Cirque du Soleil acrobats.

1600 mile in three months?!? I've done that in three weeks! I can't stop driving this car. Add to that my planned trip from Portland, OR -> Pensacola, FL in September and I'll hit the factory warranty mileage limit in one year.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:17 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 8K on CLS 6-speed...

The dealer's attitude was: WOW you got a new mirror and windshield WOW. My attitude was far more reserved!
Yeah it's like, "But there was nothing wrong with my original windshield or mirror, so it's not like you were going out of your way for me - you guys just screwed up!"

Glad to hear the overall positive review of the 6speed though. I find myself hard-pressed to find a better combination of interior quality, interior design, and interior ergonomics on any car under $40k compared to my Ebony interior CLS.

The Nissan/Infinity/GM/Audi/Honda/VWs that I test-drove just don't stand up to the Acura CLS/TLS's interior. Only car left really is BMW which I didn't consider because of the price raping, so I won't mention their E46 interior until I've seen it first-hand.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:53 AM
Intermediate

sorry shawn......i must have been reading other peoples posts and got mixed up with yours....sorry. :sqnteek: