6mt Ice Box question (resonator)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
6mt Ice Box question (resonator)

im wondering about the effect of cutting off the resonator on the inlet tube of my ice box and what effect it might have on the noise...seeing as how i have my aem still and i cut it pretty much where the ice box tube would connect to it's filter im going to swap that pipe in and see how it sounds....if it's good ill report and tell you how you can cut off the resonator and cap off the hole
Old 09-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Audi S4 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would you want to? just for sound?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:03 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember reading that another member bought his icebox used with it already removed and he said it made a horrible sound at every rpm
Old 09-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by spdy0001
I remember reading that another member bought his icebox used with it already removed and he said it made a horrible sound at every rpm
That would be me and yes the sound is not cool at all. Just a loud HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at all RPMs that doesn't change pitch with the speed of the engine. I ended up making my own resonator out of an old Neverdull can. It's funny. You have to get the exact size to get the noise to stop. Figures the most ghetto looking thing I tried would do it but it's not really visible. I've been meaning to get the right part one of these days. You probably won't like the noise without the resonator. It's really really weird sounding but the engine noise is basically the same.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ChadT
That would be me and yes the sound is not cool at all. Just a loud HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at all RPMs that doesn't change pitch with the speed of the engine. I ended up making my own resonator out of an old Neverdull can. It's funny. You have to get the exact size to get the noise to stop. Figures the most ghetto looking thing I tried would do it but it's not really visible. I've been meaning to get the right part one of these days. You probably won't like the noise without the resonator. It's really really weird sounding but the engine noise is basically the same.
but you did close off the hole right? and with what?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by typeR
im wondering about the effect of cutting off the resonator on the inlet tube of my ice box and what effect it might have on the noise...seeing as how i have my aem still and i cut it pretty much where the ice box tube would connect to it's filter im going to swap that pipe in and see how it sounds....if it's good ill report and tell you how you can cut off the resonator and cap off the hole
Are you swapping the AEM aluminum tube in for the plastic tube from the Icebox to the TB or are you eliminating the Icebox and using the AEM filter+tube with the Icebox intake tube?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by typeR
but you did close off the hole right? and with what?
Yeah I closed it off with a rubber plug I think. Open or closed it makes the same sound. The only thing that will stop it is a chamber of just the right volume that will absorb the resonance.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ChadT
Are you swapping the AEM aluminum tube in for the plastic tube from the Icebox to the TB or are you eliminating the Icebox and using the AEM filter+tube with the Icebox intake tube?
swaping
Old 09-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
dont do it you will hate the Huuuuuuuuuum noise after several days. I did something similar with the stock air box. I actually cut the front bottom panel of the box and oh man what a mistake was that. The dam noise was very loud and piercing.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by dfv3.2CL-S
dont do it you will hate the Huuuuuuuuuum noise after several days. I did something similar with the stock air box. I actually cut the front bottom panel of the box and oh man what a mistake was that. The dam noise was very loud and piercing.
Yeah it's weird. Those little chambers and tubes you see do more than they look like they would. I wonder why the AEMs don't have the resonance with no resonators on them.