Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 04:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
14.32 @ 98.88
Old 07-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
God what is this forum coming to??? A war between autos and 6speeds?? Do we need a to add a separate section to the forum, dedicated to the 6speed owners??? For crying out loud we have the same car here!!! This is too much!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:08 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
God what is this forum coming to??? A war between autos and 6speeds?? Do we need a to add a separate section to the forum, dedicated to the 6speed owners??? For crying out loud we have the same car here!!! This is too much!!!

I can understand what Jim's trying to say BUT i think the article was in good humor. I know people that are like AUTOs suck etc., Eh they have their draw backs but many positives as well!

To reference my own thread i think that people need to :wackit: or get laid one of the two

I've had AT all my life but am looking for more control and reliability of a well managed MT. I know i'll miss my AT the first time I get stuck in a traffic jam however i know that MT is going feel great as well and days when i have the open road and even in twisties!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God what is this forum coming to??? A war between autos and 6speeds?? Do we need a to add a separate section to the forum, dedicated to the 6speed owners???
No, it’s just another battle between Jim & I.
It just happens to be about Transmissions this time.

He just LOVES to argue.

Shawn S
Old 07-23-2002, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mattg
14.32 @ 98.88

12.9 @ 115.98

j/k

I am just trying to have some fun here...

You know the poor guy who started this thread is probably really disappointed...
Smitty
Old 07-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
It just depends on how you like to drive. For instance.....my little brother cannot stand manual transmissions. he can't see why you would want to waste time shifting gears. He is like.... you can' t eat of drink while driving....don't get to enjoy the drive cuz you are busy shifting gears......can't relax....

I think it is great (manuals) because i feel like you are driving the car....you are in control of every aspect....downshifting when you are going into a turn and upshifting when you start coming out of it....the rush when when you feel it pull when you upshift....letting the engine brake when you are slowing down...to me that is fun!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Loseit
I think it is great (manuals) because i feel like you are driving the car....you are in control of every aspect....downshifting when you are going into a turn and upshifting when you start coming out of it....the rush when when you feel it pull when you upshift....letting the engine brake when you are slowing down...to me that is fun!!!
It sounds to me like you’re almost done convincing yourself to do the trade.

Shawn S
Old 07-23-2002, 11:54 AM
Where is my super sauce?

It just depends on how you like to drive. For instance.....my little brother cannot stand manual transmissions. he can't see why you would want to waste time shifting gears. He is like.... you can' t eat of drink while driving....don't get to enjoy the drive cuz you are busy shifting gears......can't relax....
Umm...I hate to continue this thread, but I feel obligated...shifting can be as mindless as stepping on the gas or turning on the headlights. Once you're experienced it is not intrusive at all. You can eat/drink/talk on cell phone/etc while driving a stick - but I would not recommend doing any of that in ANY car, manual or automatic.

Driving shouldn't be about being 'relaxed'. You can be comfortable in your luxury car, but let's not forget that we are in control of a 1 - 2 ton weapon. Get a hands free kit (or OnStar) for the cell.

NO EATING in my car - too much potential to get a stain here or there.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Slimey

Yip!!! I haven't eaten in this car. I used to eat ALL the time in my old car.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

You can eat/drink/talk on cell phone/etc while driving a stick - but I would not recommend doing any of that in ANY car, manual or automatic.

Driving shouldn't be about being 'relaxed'. You can be comfortable in your luxury car, but let's not forget that we are in control of a 1 - 2 ton weapon. Get a hands free kit (or OnStar) for the cell.
Boy I am glad mom is here to protect us....

I am just messing with you Slimey.... all in good fun...

Smitty
Old 07-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Smitty - It's OK - I'm to your post.

But you do undertaking, right?

Driving is serious business.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:24 PM
:)

sound like SS to me.... LOL
Old 07-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

true

Smitty -

But you do undertaking, right?

Driving is serious business.
That would be correct... I am a Funeral Director.. I have been in the profession 14 years now... and I might add I buried a few car accident victims, so driving is serious and I am sure everyone knows that.... so go sit down and tell a few alcohlics your story..You might get them to raise an ear..LOL
Old 07-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Subie Dubie

It would be a very small forum since 99% of us own Autos. Some people always have to one up you and some of the 6 speed guys make alot of it. Personally i prefer the automatic and i'm every bit the enthusiast if not more than anyone else, and i'll be glad to run a 6 speed in the twisties any day. Unless they can drive like a Car and Driver editor we are even. Enough already, manuals are fine if that's what you like, but it's old technology, and if you disagree ask Michael Schummy what he's driving.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Red Rider

It would be a very small forum since 99% of us own Autos. Some people always have to one up you and some of the 6 speed guys make alot of it. Personally i prefer the automatic and i'm every bit the enthusiast if not more than anyone else, and i'll be glad to run a 6 speed in the twisties any day. Unless they can drive like a Car and Driver editor we are even. Enough already, manuals are fine if that's what you like, but it's old technology, and if you disagree ask Michael Schummy what he's driving.

Yeah but i think with this car it's more than the manual/automatic debate. It's the reliability factor that the auto just isn't offering in the CLS. If i knew 100% that my auto would not have problems down the road, then i wouldn't even be considering a MT.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:10 PM
Instructor

I agree with Zapata, I prefer shifting but especially since the automatic CLS has had issues. No way I'd spend $30k on a car with a better than average chance of a major problem or repair with the transmission.
Any news on the 03 automatics? If Honda cared they would have fixed this problem at first knowledge, not just in model year change.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:37 PM
:)

Originally posted by 95LegendCoupe
I agree with Zapata, I prefer shifting but especially since the automatic CLS has had issues. No way I'd spend $30k on a car with a better than average chance of a major problem or repair with the transmission.
Any news on the 03 automatics? If Honda cared they would have fixed this problem at first knowledge, not just in model year change.
yeah, it seems like all the problems are with 01 models?? has any 03 models had any tranny probs yet??
Old 07-24-2002, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by pofi
yeah, it seems like all the problems are with 01 models?? has any 03 models had any tranny probs yet??
I think 2 people were complaining about 1st gear popping out on them when they were driving down a hill or something... and some others were saying something about grinding gears between 1st and 2nd... But I have had no problem what so ever and I don't baby my car when it comes to going through the gears.

Smitty