2001 Cl 3.2 Type S Mods and Kits. Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Male Jiggalo?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Cl 3.2 Type S Mods and Kits. Advice Please!

Sup Folks,

Im in the upperstate of NY area, Im looking to get in contact with some people that know alot about Modding a car. Im going to Do what I can to my car.
The car is stock as it stands. White with a scratch so im gunna get a new paint job not sure what color but some prick opened his door or hit me with a shopping cart so I have about a 3 inch long scratch on my door.
Heres what I plan ondoing,
New Rims
Bodykit
Greddy Turbo Kit with Engine Managment
CAI
New Intake and Exhaust
Vtech Air Flow controller
Im working on my sound system as well
I got a Rockford Fosgate 900w amp. Im gunna get prolly 2 10' Punch 1's for my Subs. Not sure if the Bose speakers it came with are worth a Damn but bose is a good brand so unless some one speaks up here im gunna leave it all the same

Im gunna try to get like a 5% tint on my windows

What other Mods Can I toss on to this thing to make it better but not cost me an arm and a Leg.

Im in the Army and im going to Iraq soon so I will have a large sum of cash to blow when I get back. I was looking at dumping 5 grand into my car when I get back.

If you know alot and wanna help me and or are in the Upper NY area Hit me up so we can hook up and talk car shit. Ill buy the Beer.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I would definately say HEADERS!!! Without a doubt one of the best mods. You can get Comptechs, or OBX if you need to keep it cheaper. I got headers last week and it makes such a big difference.

H&R springs with those wheels. That will make for a nice drop. I think you should go with the Comptech ICEBOX as your intake system. Check out the Black Market for some used parts. And check out www.comptechusa.com.

Check out RonJon for wheels. www.ronjonwheels.com. He also has a kick ass grill for the CL.

The stock Bose speakers are pretty good. I have MB Quarts in mine.

Have fun. Enjoy and welcome to the A-CL family.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Male Jiggalo?

CAI ?'s

Why the Ice Box. I was looking at some other CAI's From AndysAuto Sports that will do the same thing wont they ? and they look alot better Also. Whats the Diff? and or reasoning for going with the ICEBox?

-Mike
Old 11-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wwg6983
Why the Ice Box. I was looking at some other CAI's From AndysAuto Sports that will do the same thing wont they ? and they look alot better Also. Whats the Diff? and or reasoning for going with the ICEBox?

-Mike
I like the Icebox a bit more. It looks a bit more stock and doesn't sound as loud as the regular CAI. I had a the AEM CAI in my car before, and after hearing about all the hydrolocking issues with cars hitting a bit of water, I switched. It's also easier to clean or change the filter. Power gains are fairly similar. There are some that say that the Icebox will give you an extra horse or 2, but it's not noticable.

If you get one from Andy's Auto Sport, get the AEM and get one of the Bypass valves. At that point though, you would have spent the same as getting the Icebox. You can also check out http://www.c-c-c.net.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sup Folks,

Im in the upperstate of NY area, Im looking to get in contact with some people that know alot about Modding a car. Im going to Do what I can to my car.
The car is stock as it stands. White with a scratch so im gunna get a new paint job not sure what color but some prick opened his door or hit me with a shopping cart so I have about a 3 inch long scratch on my door.
Heres what I plan ondoing,
New Rims
Bodykit
Greddy Turbo Kit with Engine Managment
CAI
New Intake and Exhaust
Vtech Air Flow controller
Im working on my sound system as well
I got a Rockford Fosgate 900w amp. Im gunna get prolly 2 10' Punch 1's for my Subs. Not sure if the Bose speakers it came with are worth a Damn but bose is a good brand so unless some one speaks up here im gunna leave it all the same

Im gunna try to get like a 5% tint on my windows

What other Mods Can I toss on to this thing to make it better but not cost me an arm and a Leg.

Im in the Army and im going to Iraq soon so I will have a large sum of cash to blow when I get back. I was looking at dumping 5 grand into my car when I get back.

If you know alot and wanna help me and or are in the Upper NY area Hit me up so we can hook up and talk car shit. Ill buy the Beer.
If all you have is 5 grand for all that, you're gonna need to rethink what you want to do.

ANd unless you have connections with Greddy, or are buying one of All-motor's turbo kits, there is no turbo for our cars. And that alone will cost north of 6K.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but modifying these cars isn't a cheap proposition. New headers from Comptech alone are 1k. Wheels will probably run 2k. ANy bodykit will cost roughly 1k plus paint and modifications (if its the TL kit).

You may want to search a little more and see what you will be able to do within your budget.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Male Jiggalo?

Price Range

Keep in Mind that Not all of this is gunna be done at once. I have 5 grand Im willing to Drop to get me started. But Heres My Pricing so far

All my pricing is done from Computech / Andys Auto World so far
A Body kit at Andys Auto is like 700 bucks,
the CAI is like 200 the Icebox from Comptech is 300.
The Vtec Air Controller is like 400.
a Cat Back Exhaust IF from Greddy is about 1 grand
Apexi has one for 700 bucks. Along with Comptech
Rims will be around 2 K if I get them allat Once.
Headers will be for later on but they are 1.2k from Comptech
turbo Kit / Super charger was a later on thing

Ok So Lets add it UP Right Quick

700 - Kit
300- CAI
400 - Vtech
700 -Exhaust
2100 - Rims (if I get the right now)
1.2k - Headers
--------
+300 Tax
-----
5600 = Total.
This isnt all including if I do it all my self or have some one do it Then service charges and Hrs of work come into effect etc.
But this is just a lil over what I had planned and this is WITH the Headers and Rims.

The sounds System I just need Speakers and a Box or have it custom fit and thats all gunan cost a lil bit ... the Speakers are liek 200 dollars and the box is gunna be costly if i get it custom made. But still thats all not that bad. And like we all know this is done in Steps. If my plans Seem unrealisitic. PLEASE pop my bubble. I dont wanna go into this dumbfounded thats why im here. Please inform me and let me learn. Thanks to every one who posted and will post more.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Keep in Mind that Not all of this is gunna be done at once. I have 5 grand Im willing to Drop to get me started. But Heres My Pricing so far

All my pricing is done from Computech / Andys Auto World so far
A Body kit at Andys Auto is like 700 bucks,
the CAI is like 200 the Icebox from Comptech is 300.
The Vtec Air Controller is like 400.
a Cat Back Exhaust IF from Greddy is about 1 grand
Apexi has one for 700 bucks. Along with Comptech
Rims will be around 2 K if I get them allat Once.
Headers will be for later on but they are 1.2k from Comptech
turbo Kit / Super charger was a later on thing

700 - Kit
300- CAI
400 - Vtech
700 -Exhaust
1.2k - Headers
--------
+300 Tax
-----
5600 = Total.
This isnt all including if I do it all my self or have some one do it Then service charges and Hrs of work come into effect etc.
But this is just a lil over what I had planned and this is WITH the Headers and Rims.

The sounds System I just need Speakers and a Box or have it custom fit and thats all gunan cost a lil bit ... the Speakers are liek 200 dollars and the box is gunna be costly if i get it custom made. But still thats all not that bad. And like we all know this is done in Steps. If my plans Seem unrealisitic. PLEASE pop my bubble. I dont wanna go into this dumbfounded thats why im here. Please inform me and let me learn. Thanks to every one who posted and will post more.

Makes more sense, and sounds reasonable. WHat kit you going with? THere are only 2 really, the Versus kit, or Modifiying the TL lip kit to fit. There are some JT style kits, but they're fugly.

Much of the stuff you can do yourself, just depends the tools you have, and how adventerous you are.

ONe thing though, what rims does comptech make DO you mean the Work Meister wheels, cause if so, those are expensive-ish.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Male Jiggalo?

Rims. and Mo'

Nah I was Looking at www.RonJonwheels.com for my rims I was gunna get the Inspyre's. I know those are Costly I bet but will be worth It. The Kit. I dunno I want something Stylish yet elegant. Andy's only had 2. and the Cyber Kit was a bit much so i was gunna go with the Other one. If you have some place that has good looking kits at a decent price please hit me up. Im on post that has a full auto shop with paint booth and hydo lifts and shit so i can use those for Minimal fees and ill have any tool I want unless i need a custom one. Ive worked on manycars before back in HS like 4 years ago but I dont wanna fuck up my car. So some easier stuff I can do. And OR if any one on theese posts is willing to help and is in my area Id love to meet up with some more Acura Enthusiasts and Like I said. Ill buy the beer and prolly hand out some dough for the help.

Which Mods Do I need to Get First for my Car. Im trying to get my priorities straight.
I was gunna go with the Body kit, Rims, paint job. Basically do the Cosmetics and the Sound system first. Make it Look pimp then make it run smooth.
The kit the rims and the System is like 3 grand. I wanna lower it but dont know much about the differnt spring kits, Ive heard alot about the Eibach on here and was just wondering what is your guys advice on lowering it also. How far is reseaonable with out worrying your ass off about bumps in the road and shit.

Anyways hit me back. Thanks
Old 11-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I would hold off on the body kit and wheels and stuff till spring. Its only get get no use in the winter or get messed upp if you do use them. I would work on the stereo and performance mods first.

As for body kits, check out the versus kit. Its not bad looking and is made for our cars.

THe RonJon Inspyre wheels are great. I have a set on my car. Look great and take the abuse of the local pot-holes which I fail to avoid.

LOwering it, go straight with coil-overs. Especially in NY. You'll like being able to raise the car for the winter, and slam it in the spring. I plan on going coil-overs as soon as I have the money.

As for installing stuff, its not that hard. I've done headers and springs on my car and it was fairy easy. Just factor in time to try and overcome rust. Rust is not your friend when you want to work on your car. If you were close, I would love to help you, but I have a feeling that your in upstate NY.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

700 - Kit
300- CAI
400 - Vtech
700 -Exhaust
1.2k - Headers
--------
+300 Tax
-----
5600 = Total.
\

Again, not to burst your bubble, but you might need to re-evaluate your list here.

A kit will cost you more than $700. Most kits cost more than that just for the kit. Then you need to have it painted and installed.

An intake can be had for less than $300, even the Icebox.

I don't know what this "Vtech" thing is your are talking about. Last time I checked "Vtech" made cordless phones and nothing to do with the automotive industry. A "VTEC air controler" as you call it might cost $400 to originally purchase, but then you have to have it installed (either hack the factory harness or get a custom harness made) then you have to have it tuned. Most ECU piggyback controler tunes cost at least $250

Exhaust does hardly anything for our cars unless you have forced induction. I'd wait on exhaust till the very last thing you do. But if you must it will cost you about $700

As for rims, yeah you can get good rims and tires for $2100. But you haven't listed springs or shocks. Why spend $2,100 on rims and tires if you are still sitting at stock height? You'll need to get springs and shocks, plus have them installed, plus have an alignment done after the install. Springs/shocks/alignment will cost you $500 if you install them yourself! More like $700-800 if you have someone else install them for you.

Headers are expensive. Comptechs are the best out there but there are alternatives. Alphawerks seem to be a good choice, but they haven't been on the market for very long. You can pick up a set of used comptechs for about $600, same with new Alphawerks. The install of the headers should run you about $120.

So lets add this up again.

Kit - $1,500 installed & painted
Intake - $300 installed
ECU piggyback controler - $800 installed and tuned
Exhaust - $700
Wheels and Tires - $2,100
Springs and shocks - $800 installed
Headers - $720 installed

Total - $6,920.

A little bit more than you originally thought huh? My car is heavily modded. The only thing I don't have is rims and a kit. Let me know if you have any questions about my mods and their costs/gains.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:31 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve

Intake - $300 installed
Exhaust - $700
Headers - $720 installed

Total - $6,920.

A little bit more than you originally thought huh? My car is heavily modded. The only thing I don't have is rims and a kit. Let me know if you have any questions about my mods and their costs/gains.

I have the TL kit/intake/exhaust/wheels/tires/coilovers/headers and that alone was around $4000 retail. if you plan on doing more than that, reconsider, or start making friends in the import scene because you haven't factored labor as a cost at all...not to mention your car audio sounds "slapped together"

my car is not as heavily modded engine wise as mrsteve's is, but my audio is, and even that alone is a hefty number to work with
Old 11-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Team Owner

So lets add this up again.

Intake - $300 installed
Exhaust - $700
Headers - $720 installed

Total - $6,920.
I also think you should wait til at least spring for the wheels and kit. In Upstate NY, that should give you 6 months from now. If you hold off on the ECU controller, get a CAI (Icebox or other) for about $250, and headers, and exhaust, you will be looking at an initial investment of about $1700 to $2000.

When the weather gets better, I would shoot for the springs and wheels. That's another $2000 to $2400. I would hold off on that kit for a while. To be honest, I think with few exceptions, our cars don't need it to look good.

Another mod that a lot of the 01 owners do is swap the tail-lights for the 03's. That's up to you and your taste. Personally I like the 03's better.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:40 PM
03' CL-S 6 speed w/ Nav

i spent $3500 alone on custom stereo work in my trunk. You can utilize the stock bose amp and just change out the stock bose speakers, but you will see that by doing this, you do NOT increase the volume level at all from stock. For the best results, you should gut out the entire stock system and add a separate amp for the mids/highs and amp for the subs. And we haven't even started talking about head units yet.....those can run easily into the 1.5-2G's just by themselves if you want the 7" motorized screen w/ navi.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Team Owner

If I had $5,000 to spend I would do the following:

Icebox: $300 installed
Headers: $800 installed
Springs & Shocks: $700 installed
Cat back Exhaust: $800 installed

Total : $2,600

Spend the rest on your stereo system or save it for Spring and put wheels and tires on.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Team Owner

If I had $5,000 to spend I would do the following:

Icebox: $300 installed
Headers: $800 installed
Springs & Shocks: $700 installed
Cat back Exhaust: $800 installed

Total : $2,600

Spend the rest on your stereo system or save it for Spring and put wheels and tires on.
Maybe coilovers instead of the springs and shocks. That should still leave you with 2K for stereo.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Team Owner

Our cars are very expensive to mod. Unlike Civics and Integras, you don't usually see a CL-S in almost every driveway in your neighborhood. Thus, the availability of parts is much less which rises the prices of our mods.

I have more than twice your $5,000 wrapped up in my CL-S and I sill have stock wheels, stock body, and stock stereo. $5,000 goes really, really, really quick.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:18 PM
03' CL-S 6 speed w/ Nav

I have more than twice your $5,000 wrapped up in my CL-S and I sill have stock wheels, stock body, and stock stereo. $5,000 goes really, really, really quick.

I heard that!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:15 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
your s/c accounts for majority of that though
Old 11-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brianlin87
your s/c accounts for majority of that though

No it doesn't. I got a killer deal on it.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

No it doesn't. I got a killer deal on it.
Really....do share?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Really....do share?
Lets just say too good to be true.

Blower - Used less than 8k miles
B-pipe - Used less than 8k miles
Gauges - New
Gauge pod - New
Tranny Cooler - New

$3,500 installed
Old 11-28-2004, 11:24 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Let me help you out a bit bro. Not bashing you, just letting you know a feel things before other guys come on here and do it. It's sunday, so they're not up yet.

First, Greddy Doesn't make a turbo kit, and if they did there goes you 5K down the drain on just that.

Vtech is VTEC and it''s a VAFC, Air/Fuel COntroller.

Anyway, just remember A lot of the members here have pissed away 5k in seconds on this car, including myself, way more than 5k.

Do a lot of reading and use the search feature. You will learn more than reading the modern post that we make.

What's the tax up there?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Lets just say too good to be true.

Blower - Used less than 8k miles
B-pipe - Used less than 8k miles
Gauges - New
Gauge pod - New
Tranny Cooler - New

$3,500 installed
That rules. I'm going to start saving for one, but it will be a while before I get it.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by clsal
i spent $3500 alone on custom stereo work in my trunk. You can utilize the stock bose amp and just change out the stock bose speakers, but you will see that by doing this, you do NOT increase the volume level at all from stock. For the best results, you should gut out the entire stock system and add a separate amp for the mids/highs and amp for the subs. And we haven't even started talking about head units yet.....those can run easily into the 1.5-2G's just by themselves if you want the 7" motorized screen w/ navi.
so are u sayin u got 2 amps for u car? 1 to run ur stock speakers and 1 to run ur subs? if so how was the quality of the speakers after u amped it up? i heard our bose system doesnt work well with other aftermarkets audio parts other than itself.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Instructor

o and can u run the speakers a lot more louder than it can regularly wit it still sounding clean and witout distorting?
Old 11-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
That rules. I'm going to start saving for one, but it will be a while before I get it.
Hmmm, I'm a need to test drive that afterwards.

And if you look around a little more, you'll get a feel for what everything costs. Its not cheap. I've dropped 2k into my car by simply adding wheels and tires, a grille, and springs. I also did any labor my self as well. You may want to reconsider what you plan on doing with the car, and use that decision to figure out where to spend you're money.

I.e. showing it- ain't gonna happen on your budget
racing it- not the greatest car to race and costs a lot to be fast 5k for supercharger alone(new)
sound good (system)- are expensive, but you can put in a good system for 2.5k
Just a clean car which is different and will turn heads,- can be done on your budget, but it will still cost you a little more than the 5k you plan on spending
Old 11-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Racer

Heres a pic of my white Cl, if you wanna talk about mods, please pm me.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Team Owner

There was a guy with a TL at the last meet that dropped about 8K on the stereo. And he wasn't done yet.

I got my car with the exhaust, wheels and springs. But I have already dropped about $1600. 3K if you add in the cost of repainting it when I got rear-ended. And there are still a couple things I want to do. I have about 3K budgeted for next year. 5K goes before you even know it.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:46 AM
East Coast Boost.!

That guy with the 8k stereo, no offense to him of course, looked like he needed a bit more KY to ease the pain, esp for what he got.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Titand19
That guy with the 8k stereo, no offense to him of course, looked like he needed a bit more KY to ease the pain, esp for what he got.
What do you mean? When ever I drop that much cash, I expect that my sh*t wouldn't work properly.

Meanwhile, I thought the stereo in your car was good. It cost a hell of a lot less and was effective. I take in you have no track times yet.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

tein ss coilover are a must about 1000 installed
strut and sway bars and buy wheels in the spring time and work on the system and engine in the winter
Old 11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

I wouldn't call coilovers a must. Springs and shocks though.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I wouldn't call coilovers a must. Springs and shocks though.
I said the same thing, till I got the Teins, the best in suspension upgrades, never heard a bad thing about them. I would also look into the Rotora big brake kit for the notorious warped rotor problems, and also the wheels obviously, which will clear the BigBrakeKit. That alone would be great for handling, stopping, and looking good. you can play with your ride height and comfort levels, you can stop on a dime, the wheels will transform the look of the car and handle more responsively without vibrations or rubbing.
If you have any $ left, I would say some used comptech headers would be the best bang for your buck when it comes to power. It actually can be felt and sounds a bit nicer. That will possibly cause the warranty to be void on some things, unless the dealer does the install and gives you the thumbsup. I think that sums it up.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

Except I highly doubt any warranty could be voided with just headers. Anything engine related isn't going to fail due to a header install with the exception of possibly damaging an O2 sensor.