2001 Acura Cl Type-S VSA Light plus Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 02:56 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Acura Cl Type-S VSA Light plus Check Engine

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum, and I need some help.
I have a 2001 Acura Cl Type-S. The car has 250,000 miles, but the transmission was rebuild 20k ago. I have paperwork from the previous owner.
-I have a check engine light, as well as an intermittent VSA light plus warning triangle. The code is P0325- Knock Sensor.
The VSA light and warning triangle only come on intermittently, usually when accelerating. The lights, besides the Check Engine, go away after I restart the car. Can this be caused by the Knock Sensor?
Notable things to add as well:
-The car has "leaching" shifts. Kinda shifts hard. The transmission doesn't slip between gears though, it seems very healthy. I've been told not to worry about this; "the people who rebuild it could've overtightened the bands" is what I've been told.
-When idling, the car "pops". The RPMs stay the same though. The "pops" aren't rhythmic, they don't seem to follow any pattern.
-Hard acceleration seems hesitant.

Do you guys have any advice for me? This is my first Acura, so I'm very blind when it comes to problems.
Thank you!

Old 03-26-2020, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Are you performing the repair work yourself? diagnosing the knock sensor seems they way to go, but if you aren't doing the work; might as well take it in for that item specifically.

if you are doing the work; grab the service manual from this site (there are pdf versions if you search here) and go to the page for troubleshooting that circuit.

About the VSA light; I could be wrong but...believe that the VSA lights will come on if it detects a fault with any system that it relies on (engine and ABS sensors) because ti controls throttle and braking in times of instability. My guess is that those lights will go away once you've remedied the knock sensor circuit problem.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for responding!
I usually take my vehicles in to get repairs done, but I have done work myself in the past. I haven't looked into the specifics on how difficult this job would be, so I'm not sure if I'd do the work myself.
My biggest concern was the VSA light. If it is true that the VSA light comes on with any mechanical failure with the engine, then that is a big relief for me. My mechanic quoted me roughly $400 to get the knock sensor replaced, as well as the lower intake manifold gaskets. He said that this engine has the knock sensor deep in the engine, below the intake manifold. So I could see where that dollar amount comes from.
Are there any parts that I should look at to get replaced while my mechanic is replacing the knock sensor? I plan on keeping this car for a few years and would like to get some preventative maintenance done on it.