2001 or 2002- Need purchasing advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 or 2002- Need purchasing advice.

I am looking to purchase a CL-S in the next 30 days, and one dealer I have been speaking to is recommending going with a 2001 because they can sell them at such a big discount. He even has offered to paint the black part of the side rear-view mirrors to match the only apparent cosmetic update to the 2002.
However, I can't decide if I should go for the 2001 or wait a month for a 2002. I am not sure if perhaps there any updates to the 2002 that are not necessarily visible, but could be to address any consistent customer complaints (ex. rattles, squeeks, stereo etc.)
I am looking to lease a CL-S in Silver or Blue, no navi, spoiler for 36mo, 12K miles at $400/mo w/tax. Don't know if I am being completely unreasonable here or not to expect such a deal. My thought is if I could get it for around invoice or a few hundred over, along with around $2K out of pocket, perhaps I could swing such a deal.
I am in the ATL, but I am not opposed to going out of state if it will save me some $$$. One other thing, I am interested in getting the windows tinted and Comptech springs installed, which I'd just pay for out of pocket since such things don't residulize and it doesn't make sense to roll them into the lease.
Any advice would be appreciated. I feel like it is a reasonable expectation, especially with 2002's on their way and dealers with lots full of 2001's. I don't know if I could justify paying for a 2002.
Thanks-
PNC
Old 08-16-2001, 12:51 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

In a lease, you don't want to get the cheaper car..... THis is essentially hwo a dealer figures the cost of a lease. They take what they think will be the value fo the car 3 years from now, subtact the difference in the selling prce today and that difference leftover is what they base ur lease payments off of. Figure in insurance costs and scheduled maintence and u have ur lease payments. If you are going to lease, I'd holdout for the 02 model since you're not looking to own it.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:04 AM
Racer

Originally posted by HellaWhat:
<STRONG>In a lease, you don't want to get the cheaper car..... THis is essentially hwo a dealer figures the cost of a lease. They take what they think will be the value fo the car 3 years from now, subtact the difference in the selling prce today and that difference leftover is what they base ur lease payments off of. Figure in insurance costs and scheduled maintence and u have ur lease payments. If you are going to lease, I'd holdout for the 02 model since you're not looking to own it.</STRONG>
Exactly. The 2001 is essentially depreciated four years on a three year lease. If you want to lease a car, you are better to do so early in the model year. If you want to buy, do so late in the model year.

::Explanations::
LEASE:
While the car is technically new, the bean counters consider it a year old already. So, in three years, the car will be four years old (age for depreciation/ residual purposes is taken from the first of the model year). You will be paying four years of depreciation in three years. Not good, unless there is a killer finance rate (there isn't, I checked yesterday). The money you save off of the sticker price will not come close to offseting the low residual.

BUY:
If you buy the car at the end of the model year, you do have the same age problem as in the lease (in model year 2005, your three year old car is four years old - remember, we are in model year 2002 for all practical purposes). HOWEVER, you didn't incur any miles the first year. You could concievably have a four year old car with 36,000 miles. That is considered low miles! It is worth more. In buying the car at the end of the model year, you can get a good price, the rates aren't bad right now (7.25% at last check), and when you sell it, the apparent low miles will offset the fact that the car is an extra year old. A 2001 CL will not be treated much differently from a 2002 CL in the used car market three, four or five years from now. In fact, a 2001 with low miles may exceed the value of a 2002 with normal miles (it happens!).

I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

BTW, from my experience working at the factory, issues of squeaks, rattles, bad trannies, etc. are fixed as found. We NEVER held something like that over for a new model year, especially if 99% of the car isn't changing. Maybe a little piece of mind for you.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: jdl75 ]
Old 08-16-2001, 02:13 AM
Burning Brakes

GFL :p :p :p
Old 08-16-2001, 02:16 AM

I'd say don't do either. Save your bucks for another year, and you should easily be able to afford an S4 then...Simply chip it, and do some suspension mod's and you're set...

Old 08-17-2001, 01:19 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the responses.
Talking to some dealers today, they say that while the 2002 may have a higher residule, that they won't be selling them for much below sticker when they hit the lots. I find this intesting since I don't expect the 2002 "fall release" to be any more of a hot seller than the 2001 has been in recent months. I think Acura is underestimating the consumer. People are NOT awaiting a 2002 model with nicer side rearview mirrors. They are awaiting a 2002 model with a 6-speed, with maybe some TL styled taillights, true foglights, and perhaps even a little bump in HP with a 3.5L engine(though that's not necessary). Put that car on a lot and you will be able to justify asking sticker if not more due to the demand that will follow.
I understand they want to move 2001's, but don't justify it by telling me that I better get a 2001, because they won't work with me on a 2002. Perhaps I'll ride it out until the 2002's hit the lot in a few weeks ( by early to mid-Sept. according to the info I received when calling Acura). They will have plenty of 2001's on the lot and should be willing to deal even more. I'd prefer a 2002, but I also know a deal when I see one. I just wish they wouldn't try shoving a 2001 down my throat for the sake of clearing inventory.
Anyway-
PNC
Old 08-17-2001, 01:21 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Exactly, so our advice to u is if you want to BUY, get the 01 model since you'll ge a better deal on it. If you want to lease or holdout till a siz speed is available, wait til the 02 model shows up.
Old 08-17-2001, 01:32 AM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

hey man-if you can swing it, just wait another month til the 02 comes out. that will take some of the 'guessing' out of the equation...and if you decide to go with the 01 after seeing the 'new' model, it should be cheaper since it will no longer be 'fresh'.

my 2¢