09 TL SH AWD Intake Swap Vacuum Leak....SOLVED! P2R should be ashamed....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
09 TL SH AWD Intake Swap Vacuum Leak....SOLVED! P2R should be ashamed....

P2R adapter bore extends PAST their thermal throttle body gasket

I installed my 09 manifold with the P2R adpater and thermal gaskets all around and experienced the idle surging indicating a vacuum leak...like so many others have experienced.

Having read about this issue here, I pulled the throttle body off and looked very closely.....sure enough the gasket that goes between the TB and the adapter does not fully cover the adapter bore. There is about 1mm on the left side (looking at the opening of the TB) where the adapter bore extends PAST the gasket. WTF! Really? P2r sells us crap that has a flawed design and wont work?? They know about it and cant even fix their little cookie cutter so it cuts gaskets that will work?

What I did was to coat the adapter side of the gasket with some ultra gray gasket maker and stick it to the adapter. I then laid a fat bead of gasket maker along the entire length of the gasket on this side where the gap is and pushed it in/smooth with my finger...like you would while caulking something. This fills the gap and leaves plenty of gasket maker on the outside so that it stays put and sealed....

Anyway, for all of you having the vac leak problem with these parts on this swap, here is your fix. P2R should extend their gasket so that it fully covers the adapter bore and TELL US to apply some sealant in this area since there is nothing sandwiching the gasket together in this area...( adapter bore extends past TB body). They know about it and dont tell us when purchasing and obviously dont care enough to fix it. Who does that?

Here are some pictures to illustrate what I am referring to....
Attached Thumbnails 09 TL SH AWD Intake Swap Vacuum Leak....SOLVED!  P2R should be ashamed....-p2r-1.jpg   09 TL SH AWD Intake Swap Vacuum Leak....SOLVED!  P2R should be ashamed....-p2r-2.jpg   09 TL SH AWD Intake Swap Vacuum Leak....SOLVED!  P2R should be ashamed....-p2r-3.jpg  

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 11-09-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

I forgot to mention that the supplied bolts are also too long

Bolts
When looking at the parts before I even installed them the first time, I noticed the supplied bolts looked really long, measuring everything, I found that the bolts were roughly 1-2mm too long. If installed, at least 1 of the bolts will bottom out against a hard surface before it tightens down the TB/adapter. I added 2 washers to the backside of each bolt. Failure to do so will cause the bolt to bottom out and feel like it is torqued down, but leave the TB/adapter loose resulting in a vacuum leak.

P2R Adapter and gaskets =

I shouldnt have to bandaid an aluminum spacer and 2 plastic gaskets that I paid over $100 for that are made specifically for this application.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
I wonder if I'll have this problem since I got oem gaskets because I heard of this problem with the p2r adapter.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stephen00TL
I wonder if I'll have this problem since I got oem gaskets because I heard of this problem with the p2r adapter.
Yes, the oem gasket will also have this problem. The throttle body outside edge lines up with the edge of the gasket. The bore of the adapter extends past this edge of the throttle body and the gasket.

And you'll have to shim your bolts even more due to your thinner gasket...
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
That's just strange... Wonder if other people just missed this problem, or maybe you got a bad adapter?

Either way, can't blame the P2R gasket if the bore is too big for the TB. Problem would be with the adapter, but I doubt they wanted to reduce the diameter of it.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Karanx7
That's just strange... Wonder if other people just missed this problem, or maybe you got a bad adapter?

Either way, can't blame the P2R gasket if the bore is too big for the TB. Problem would be with the adapter, but I doubt they wanted to reduce the diameter of it.
I'm pretty sure anyone who used gasket maker probably sealed off enough of it to make it work.

P2R says to use their gasket for their adapter. They can control how they fit together and should have remedied this in the design of the 2 parts.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
I started mating them up yesterday and also found the same issues. The bolts are long but adding the washers did work out. I also did the gasket maker.

Unfortunately, while I was installing this setup on my car, I found damage on my IM so I have to return it and wait for the new one to arrive.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
e30cabrio found this same problem back when he first did it. he had a different solution.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=131
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 PM

What size washer did you use?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JCharged
I started mating them up yesterday and also found the same issues. The bolts are long but adding the washers did work out. I also did the gasket maker.

Unfortunately, while I was installing this setup on my car, I found damage on my IM so I have to return it and wait for the new one to arrive.
That sucks, sorry to here man.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Might want to check out this link

http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=2462&page=7

I think someone just needs to come up with a different adapter (like the one in the link post 63) Not to mention the added length would add a little more volume to the intake helping it out some

Last edited by fsttyms1; 11-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Jake oh no!!! What was wrong with the manifold? Maybe you can get the new one by next week??
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Intermediate

Well, fired up the car again after letting the gasket maker setup overnight and still had the same stupid vroom-bleh, vroom-bleh, vroom-bleh....

After spraying everything down with starter fluid and not hearing a smidge of effect and after pulling my IAC valve and blocking off the port from underneath, and after verifying actuation of my IACV, and after lubing it down, after backing the butterfly stop all the way down, TO NO EFFECT....... I pulled my intake tube off and covered the upper left hole inside the throttle body...see pic 1.

It idled perfect!!!!! Now if I could just find a way of driving down the road with my finger in my TB I'd be all set!

SO I pulled the TB back off again and saw that this hole is goes straight through to the backside and also goes up through the idle air jet or whatever that metering screw is ontop of the throttle body facing you when you are looking into the TB. On the backside, the hole is sealed by the gasket.....or at least i is supposed to be......Since the P2R gasket is not sandwiched between anything in this area, it was leaking a lot. So I added some more gasket maker around the hole on the backside and am hoping that will do the trick. I have heard of people just blocking off that hole......figure it has to do something though...... Honda isnt known for adding anything that isnt necessary....
See the hole on the backside of the TB in pic 2. Make sure to add lots of gasket maker here as well before you assemble it....

Why do I get the feeling that I am going to have idle problems in the future??
Attached Thumbnails 09 TL SH AWD Intake Swap Vacuum Leak....SOLVED!  P2R should be ashamed....-tb2.jpg   09 TL SH AWD Intake Swap Vacuum Leak....SOLVED!  P2R should be ashamed....-tb1.jpg  

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 11-11-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

AGH!!!

Fired her up this morning.......idle was still a bit high~1200 or so.

Started down the road and after a mile, I stopped at a red light and it was idling nice and happy at 600 RPM!! WooHoo!!!!!

I then jumped on the interstate and drove spiritedly for about 3 miles, got off on the exit and came to the light......Idle was back around ~1300-1500

It stayed at that rpm every time I came to a stop for the remaining 10 miles or so to the parking lot of my work....

Guess I'm going to just fab up my own spacer and ditch the P2R....

I cant believe that P2R makes a product that doesnt work.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

I FIXED IT!!!

Turns out that last round of gasket maker around the hole on the backside of the TB DID SOLVE THE VAC LEAK!!!

Turns out the little black accordian seal on the throttle cable was loose and was getting into where the cable wraps around the lever on the throttle body. IT was keeping the TB from fully closing this time and led me to believe that my last round of sealing had failed. I was incorrect.

I moved the accordian back where it was supposed to be on the cable end and my idle is nice and smooth at 700 or so!!

F-YEAH!! its about time.

By no means does this excuse P2R for their lame kit, however, it does say that the problem can be dealt with.....not sure how long it will last though...

Man I feel so much better now.........for now....