09 TL Intake Manifold Install Questions - piping and electronics

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 TL Intake Manifold Install Questions - piping and electronics

So I decided to choose a day when the temp here decided to drop to frigid , but oh well.

Now I'm in the medical profession and my mechanic experience is limited, but I've managed to install most of my mods so far... Pretty straightforward DIY so far (thanks btw civic drivr and e30cabrio).

This is what we're working on (needs a wash badly):

So the manifold is now in and looking good! I'm adding a catch can as well - I had pools of oil in my manifold...I hope it will help.

So my questions:
First off, I have so far the brake booster and vacuum hoses connected. Now to connect my oil catch can which I have already installed. So the positive crankcase tube should be routed to the catch can and back to this port?

This is from the connection from the old manifold. This should be routed to the can (ebay, but if it works it works)

and back to here (where I placed the white vacuum seal), right?

Second question:

Now this guy is the FPR vacuum hose, right (left of my finger though, hehe)?

It should connect to this L-port here, right?

I guess I'll need a coupler to connect the different sized fittings...

Last question

I bought some female 7/64" insulated connectors and 3/16" males (the Shack didn't have any 7/64" males) that I'll crimp to 18g wire. Anyone suggest a better way to do this for the IMRC? And is 18g good enough to extend the IAT sensor to the intake (decided on a Comptech Icebox and throwing away my crappy AEM SRI).

Thanks so much guys for your input and help!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,457 Likes on 4,978 Posts
#1 - Thats correct. Just make sure you route the hose away from the PS pump. Or since you have the catch can on the driver side strut tower you can run the hose to the 90* fitting on top of the manifold.

#2 - I actually got a T fitting and tapped the FPR vacuum into the fitting next to the brake booster line. I left the 90* fitting on the top of the manifold capped.

#3 - I believe thats the gauge wire I used. Unless you can source the actual plug (impossible to find), that the next best option.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Hey Civicdrivr, thanks for getting back to me with your input.

Very helpful. I had to delay putting stuff together, since its cold as $hite here Snow?!

Anyway, did you guys just unbolt the old IMRC unit with cable, etc, so that it didn't have any chance of knocking into the pulley (cable)?

So far so good, now to give it a start... let you know how things run

Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Yea, I removed the entire IMRC unit.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

Should I be worried?

Damnation, thought it was going to smooth sailing as butter.

Battery was unplugged the whole time I installed everything. Turned on the car for the first time, and tried to do the idle relearn. Now it's doing the up and down thing from 1000-2000K RPMs and feeling rough. And I smell rotten eggs! I'm assuming its the leftover gunk from the oil wells from the old intake and I really did try to clean a bit down the runners (the part hooked up to the EGR was nasty).

So, I did add the catch can, used all new gaskets (P2R) and torqued everything to spec (except the manifold cover ~8 ft lbs they say, which I just did by feel). I then sprayed some carb cleaner to see if the rough idle would change but it didn't. I check all the vacuum lines as well and everything seems hooked up fine. Not really sure what the deal is.

I'm gonna take it for a short spin and see if this works. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know that this is a new engine part that the ECU is trying to get accustomed to, so should I be concerned? I will be if it continues...
Old 11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Progress?

Well, after taking it for a spin on the highway, I did notice that the car had some extra balls, but I wasn't really mashing the gas (actually was pretty gentle with it). But I'm not really caring about performance right now, just a smooth running engine. The up and down idle went away and now my idle is sitting nice and high at 1500. And there is a CEL - unable to read it at the moment but I bet it's the dreaded P0505 (or whatever the IACV one is).

I did also notice that the car seems to shudder when I let off the gas, even if I gently pressed it (WTF does that mean?).

I didn't mention that I still have the IAT hanging in my engine bay (I'm still waiting for my Icebox to arrive to drill it and relocate the sensor), so does that have anything to do about things? And I did add the catch can, so could that be a source of a vacuum leak?

I'm off to a busy day tomorrow then flying out for the holiday, so I'll have to revisit this project in a week. Then I'll relocate my IAT, take everything apart, try to do the idle relearn thing more times, double check all my connections, then if all else fails go to Acura with my tail between my legs...

Any more thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
I think this is the way it relearn the ecu new air flow. It takes few days then it should be ok but dont quote me.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

Damn

Still having issues...this up and down 1000-3000 RPM idle crap is driving me insane. Sounds like a beached whale or like I'm a crazy biatch ricer trying to race somebody. I'm sure it's a vac leak, but I can't pinpoint the location. I took everything off and bolted everything back one to Acura torque specs. I just used all P2R gaskets and no other gaskets. I threw an engine code and will get it read tomorrow. I even swapped out my IACV just for firm measure.

I bet it'll ended up being a vac leak, but hell, I can't figure where it's coming from. My IAT is still hanging out into the engine bay, cuz my damn Comptech intake is still not here yet.

I have an appointment at the Acura stealorship this weekend, but I'm gonna bring it to a local mechanic tomorrow to get the codes read at least. Cool mod, but I wished the install went as easily as I had hoped...
Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
The IAT might be the problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
+1 i had the same issue in my old junk mazda mx6
Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

Hmmm...that's what I was thinking as well, cuz I can't seem to find a vac leak. I know another azine member Kdawg had his IAT hanging in the bay after he had a mechanic install his manifold, and it appeared at least that he didn't have any complications... I messaged him to see if he had the same issue.

I talked to a mechanic down the street and will bring it in to have the codes read. If all else, I'll extend the IAT wires tomorrow and plug it in somewhere near my intake. It's a metal crap AEM SRI, which has two vac hoses going to it (anyone know what those might be from?), so I was wondering if maybe I could just plug the IAT into that port. Would that screw with anything else?

Thanks for the input
Old 02-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
#1 - Thats correct. Just make sure you route the hose away from the PS pump. Or since you have the catch can on the driver side strut tower you can run the hose to the 90* fitting on top of the manifold.

#2 - I actually got a T fitting and tapped the FPR vacuum into the fitting next to the brake booster line. I left the 90* fitting on the top of the manifold capped.

#3 - I believe thats the gauge wire I used. Unless you can source the actual plug (impossible to find), that the next best option.
Have you not had any problems doing the T fitting for the FPR? Is it not better for this to have its own source?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM

I didnt have any issues related to it the entire time I ran that intake, which was over a year.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I didnt have any issues related to it the entire time I ran that intake, which was over a year.
ok, cool. Thanks. This makes it easier lol
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
i was gonna buy this manifold and the throttle body spacer too.
is it a pain in the ass to replace?
are the gains good from it?
just wanted to know if it was worth the money and effort and if there is any custom work needed?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix
Hmmm...that's what I was thinking as well, cuz I can't seem to find a vac leak. I know another azine member Kdawg had his IAT hanging in the bay after he had a mechanic install his manifold, and it appeared at least that he didn't have any complications... I messaged him to see if he had the same issue.

I talked to a mechanic down the street and will bring it in to have the codes read. If all else, I'll extend the IAT wires tomorrow and plug it in somewhere near my intake. It's a metal crap AEM SRI, which has two vac hoses going to it (anyone know what those might be from?), so I was wondering if maybe I could just plug the IAT into that port. Would that screw with anything else?

Thanks for the input
going by memory ... when ur stock mani was on ... underside by IAT tiny vac hose ... whatd u do with that
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Pro

Isn't the IAT port supposed to be protruded and NOT in the intake air flow? How did you all go about doing this?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^just leave it hangin. my IAT is just hanging in the engine bay my mechanic told me its fine like that and i never had any problems
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 AM

I had mine in the intake tube and so did E30, no issues. IIRC the IAT actually reads better in the intake tube.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
does it affect performance if i leave it out?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Not sure. Admittedly, I dont know a whole lot about our ECUs, but the IAT is just reading the air temperature. Im not sure how the ECU uses that info for tuning.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Cruisin'

Bump. OP and I have the same problem, was wondering if he figure it out...
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This ever get resolved?