01 CL Type-S > Need tons of expert advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm late.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CL Type-S > Need tons of expert advice!

What up guys? Kickin job you all are doing with/for the CL community. Hope to be a contributing part of it soon.

Well, in any case, as the pictures below clearly show, I'm the content owner of an 01 CL Type-S (Navi/5SpdAT) and I'm looking to mod it soon. Some background, I'm 18, from Los Angeles, background in computers and music.

Now here's the sad part: I don't know a tremendous amount about cars. I mean, I understand them as machines and I can comprehend what anyone tells me about them, but nobody's ever explained all the details to me. I understand what's going on with the suspension, engine, transmission, etc, but not in entirely too much detail. I get how intakes/exhausts/forced induction and stuff works, but as I said, I'm lacking in the community-shared knowledge factor. Which is why I'm here =)

This is what I want to do my car, in this succession:
1) M5 spoiler
2) Tints
3) Springs/Coilovers
4) CAI
5) Rectangular Exhausts
6) Kit (hopefully one that integrates the exhaust)
7) Rims

I need info and tips most of all, and I'd appreciate hearing what you guys've done with your cars. Also, any other possible suggestions you might have, send em my way.

By the way, I've been driving stick shift since I was 12, and I chose to get the AT with sequential for the sake of comfort on long drives and freeway traffic =)

Old 10-21-2003, 12:24 PM
I hate the Mets

Hello and welcome....If I was to start modding all over again...Here is the order I would go:

1. New Tires (& wheels if you are going to go 18/19"), Get Springs with tires
2. CAI and Headers - The roar is great w/ the CAI and its a difference you can easily feel
3. Sways, since our car doesn't handle too-too great

Now, there are the basics...

The M5 spoiler is nice and I would def. do that if I didnt have the OEM spoiler

Exhaust, search the board - personally I love my Greddy Evo setup - and IMO rectangular exhaust doesnt compliment the CL-s very well...but thats just me

Looks like we may have some electrical tuning adaptors/ECU tweaks available soon to also add some more GO.

Im no help w/ A/V mods, I dont really have any except my hardwired iPod

But welcome and search around, you will find an answer to almost any question
Old 10-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Welcome. Its a good thing that your car is gold, you'll need gold to complete you project
For starters, check into Comptech springs if you want to lower it a bit and retain stock ride. If more than eibach springs are the next best.
Konis yellow are about the best shocks.
Teins coilover shocks are another way to go.
Then there is the job of finding the right 18in wheel and tire combo to fit your needs.
Intakes, headers and ahh yes the Comptech supercharger.
The search function will get you a lot of the information you want. However as I'm typing this, there is sure to be a number of the members here ready to answer any questions you have.
I'm not an expert but have learn alot by reading the post here and these guys and girl are the best.
Have fun and enjoy.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:48 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice car, first things first, ditch the shitty oem tires, slam that bitch and get your rims and then do the rest in any order u want

to really make your car haul get some obx/stone headers for under 400 bucks or u can get the comptechs for 1100 if u can afford them, they are better quality but offer same HP gains
Old 10-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Dont let the name fool ya

First thing is Comptech exhaust. Intake, headers, cat back, and mufflers. Definitely will make that exhaust sound right. Plus give you added power. Not a lot, but you will feel a difference. Next is Comptech springs. They give about a 3/4 drop and keep it even all the way around the car. But for pure power, you need the supercharger. That's power you can feel. Forget the v-tec. This is break-neck power everyone will notice. Make sure you get the proper speed rated tires. With power like that, you want to make sure you stay straight - front to rear, not side to side. That will keep your car in warranty. At least that's the way it is in my svc dept.

Roman (John Eagle Acura - Houston)
Old 10-21-2003, 12:59 PM
I'm late.

Getting different sized rims will throw off my speedometer, will it not? I'm guessing the only good way the car has to measure its speed is by multiplying the RPM at the wheel by the diameter of the wheel, but is there a good way of changing that ratio, etc?

Just wondering.

Also, when I was talking about a rectangular exhaust/hopefully integrated into the kit, I was thinking of something along the lines of http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/04/c...t03_03_800.jpg.

I'd want that, hard. What do you guys think? [I understand that that's the comptech supercharged CL]
Old 10-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by Stumpy
First thing is Comptech exhaust. Intake, headers, cat back, and mufflers. Definitely will make that exhaust sound right. Plus give you added power. Not a lot, but you will feel a difference. Next is Comptech springs. They give about a 3/4 drop and keep it even all the way around the car. But for pure power, you need the supercharger. That's power you can feel. Forget the v-tec. This is break-neck power everyone will notice. Make sure you get the proper speed rated tires. With power like that, you want to make sure you stay straight - front to rear, not side to side. That will keep your car in warranty. At least that's the way it is in my svc dept.

Roman (John Eagle Acura - Houston)
Wow ... Roman!!! Welcome to the board... You finally made it here.

Off-topic: For Houston members, this guy will take good care of your Acura when you bring it to John Eagle Acura on HW6@I-10
Old 10-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Retired. Not available.

Now ... my contribution to the thread. For any A/V related question, here is the place to be.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=117
Old 10-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by goldmember
Getting different sized rims will throw off my speedometer, will it not? I'm guessing the only good way the car has to measure its speed is by multiplying the RPM at the wheel by the diameter of the wheel, but is there a good way of changing that ratio, etc?
This LINK might help you out on upgrading your tires.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well, it seems that most people have answered your questions already... so you should be off to a good start!

Welcome aboard and if you have any more questions feel free to search the site or post!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:12 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure the trans is in good order before you do anything .Can't build a house on a questionable foundation.

Jens
Old 10-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Dont let the name fool ya

Originally posted by Jens H.
Make sure the trans is in good order before you do anything .Can't build a house on a questionable foundation.

Jens
Unfortunately, I agree. i f the tranny pops, none of the mods will do a damn thing for you. Nothing really happens when you can't get past second gear!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

They are right so don't touch a damm modification until you've saved up $3500 and then alk to our friend DeansBlackCL he'll set you up with a supersecretveryhushush tranny, now feel free to start the other mods in whatever order you choose, once the wallet stops it crying

J/K If I were to start all over, first thing is first, find you new rims. Pick size, offsets, style, rubber(size & type again) then you'll be able to drop the car and you'll be way a head of the game. Believe change your rims to whatever does it for you, then everytime you walk out to your car, your face is just going to be
This will have the effect of making you fall deeper in love with her and therefore willing to forgo the monitary amounts that will be needed to proceed along this long and expensive road.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey nice Pimp Daddy Gold CL. Welcome to the board.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Drifting

if you get springs, get shocks at the same tiem dispite what others may say about just rushing out to get springs to slam it or whatever. two reasons: 1) assuming you'll get the installation by a shop, you'll save on labor charges 2) the springs in combination with the stock shocks will wear the shocks out quickly anyway.

sway bars are a must, so are new tires to replace the michelin models you prolly have now.

oh and welcome aboard and enjoy that rare color.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:23 PM
I'm late.

You know, haha, I'll probably get booted out of the site for it, but I've been thinking today, and... I just realized I'm real happy with the car.

I forgot why I was gonna mod it in the first place.

I mean, how will that 3-5 grand spent on the car make my life better? I've got a kickin' car with all the luxury that I need for the moment, and unnecessary shit like heated seats.

Was thinking, and wow. Pretty disheartening in a way.

Just wondering if you guys've ever thought of that, and if so, what was your mental response to it? I don't wanna spend time, effort, and money doing something just so I can show off and go "Yeah check this out mine's better/faster/sicker than yours."

I feel childish. [No shit; I'm still a kid.]
Old 10-22-2003, 07:00 AM
Revving at 9K...

Welcome.

In response to your comment. There is nothing wrong with what you are saying. So if you have the will to keep your car stock, more power to you.

As for the rest of us, modding is just another hobby. Some people can go all out, and some just do what they can afford. But the result is the same. When something makes our cars (love) feel unique and different than others on the road, it just put a big smile on my face.

Hang around, you might change your mind..
Old 10-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Drifting

have you noticed that everybody has suggested mods that are pracitically invisible (headers, shocks, tires, etc.)? those mods are to enhance the driving experience and pleasure. teh cl is a great car out of the box, so to speak, but it's geared towards an older demographic who usually dislikes too much of a "sporty" feel (read: firm ride, noise.)

personally i don't show off by having cosmetic mods. the car is mine and when i drive it, i want it feel the way i want it to feel, to respond the way i want it to and the mods do that.

i know you'll end up modding the car as soon as something just doesnt feel right anymore (too much body roll, etc.) have fun while doing it.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Learn to swim

You know, haha, I'll probably get booted out of the site for it, but I've been thinking today, and... I just realized I'm real happy with the car.

I mean, how will that 3-5 grand spent on the car make my life better? I've got a kickin' car with all the luxury that I need for the moment, and unnecessary shit like heated seats.

Just wondering if you guys've ever thought of that, and if so, what was your mental response to it? I don't wanna spend time, effort, and money doing something just so I can show off and go "Yeah check this out mine's better/faster/sicker than yours."

It's your car.... do what you want or don't want to it. We'll still show love for stockers:P
If you do decide you want to mod something get with a member in your area that has the mod and compare. This might help you make up your mind on what to do before spending $$$$$
Old 10-22-2003, 10:32 AM
///M POWER

bro, most of us modded our cars in some way, fuck every body else just do what makes you happy, if your not to worried on making it faster then just make it look sweet by droping it w/ some springs and adding some tint..

but once u add one go fast mod ur gonna want all the power in the world, well atleast i did but my bank account and wallet aint big enough for that
Old 10-22-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm late.

Wow, you guys are fucking incredible. I was expecting flames up my ass and such, but you guys are smart shit, I'm glad to be a part of the same crowd that buys these babys

You guys've got a super point too; my mind isn't made in either direction, so whichever way I go, I'll be sure to keep you guys up to date on it

Also, just out of curiosity, how do I know if my fog lights are busted? Neither of them goes on when I turn on the lights, and since it's unlikely (atleast seems so) for them both to have gone out, I'm suspecting something like a fuse. I don't need instructions on how to use the search button, but I was just wondering if there could be anything else that's wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Rock that shit.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

I'm spending all my money on performance first, then looks. (except my shift knob and pedal) but like everyone said, wheels and the drop. then everythin else will come together. also, go check out the gallery. lots of nice pics there.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Safety Car

Also, just out of curiosity, how do I know if my fog lights are busted? Neither of them goes on when I turn on the lights, and since it's unlikely (atleast seems so) for them both to have gone out, I'm suspecting something like a fuse. I don't need instructions on how to use the search button, but I was just wondering if there could be anything else that's wrong.
Also, there is no switch for the fogs so they are either burnt out of disconnected. those stock bulbs burn out all time so I wouldn't be surprised. one of mine burnt out, so I unplugged the other one, then when I got a replacement bulb, a month later, the other one burns out. they come out super easy too. I had an '01 PDG also! cool color.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

LOVE that color
Old 10-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Sweet as Gold

Check my post in the Black market for rims on that color...18 Konig Prophets...
Old 10-25-2003, 04:31 PM
I'm late.

I want to take off the badges from my car; is there any way I can do it myself and have it look clean?

I heard of some kids doing it, it was still clean. Hm.

Also, what mods can I do by myself? What tools and such should I keep handy? What do you guys use/do?
Old 10-25-2003, 04:59 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

nice fix that shit up
Old 10-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Racer

change your mind?

but tint the windows!!