Is "Type S" a joke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Colonel:
I'm with Soopa, JRock and many others here. I like my CLS. I've added springs and Toyo tires. The problem is Acura's marketing. They didn't differentiate the Type S enough from the CLP. ARe they selling more combined CLs because of the Type S? I doubt it. And I'd have easily paid another $2000 for the suspension mods, tires, brakes, and headers that would have put up great numbers in comparo tests. A lot of us have spent that money on mods. Think image too. Acura could have produced an image leading car that makes people talk and brings them into the showroom. They missed it.

I'd offer the 260hp engine and other mods as a sport package for the CLP. Then I'd make the Type S a lot sportier (not a hardcore Type R) and an image car that has the substance to back it up. As a former marketing guy, that's my 2cents.
Again, I'm really happy with my car now but wouldn't have been without the mods.

Kevin
</font>

Ditto -- one more with the same opinion. I would have even made room for the "up level suspension package" like the Bimmmer's do.

I knew when I drove the car that I was going to be doing some mods.

OTOH -- I love the way the car works, and the brakes are the only issue that I am even remotely considering. I am extremely happy with the car.

1. They are responding to the demographics by supplying a 6-speed (yes/no)?

2. There are replacement/upgrade parts for the car from "good" people. Example -- a lot of people (including myself) carp about the Comptech high prices, but I prefer paying for stainless steel rather than mild-steel (just my experience with weld-it-myself-header jobs).

3. The current level car is fast enough and handles well enough to scare most people -- exactly what is enough -- 450 HP (Then, who is going to pay the new sticker cost, insurance, maintenance, gas, and tickets?)

I think they never figured that the car was going to be well liked by: women, men, and all groups from 16- to 80-years old. I really think they were surprised!

Comment:

There is a point, where making something for all people is a ticket for a mediocre product, that does everything badly (the MXM4 tires come to mind)...

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-29-2001, 03:08 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys need to go fuck yourselves. I have been around this board for a while now and never really spoke up. Yes, It is 12:00 at night, and yes I have been drinking. Look at what you paid! Look at what you got! If you are still complaining, then sell the POS, at least that is what you think. Compare it to anything in the same class(HP, options, you know). If you think it should have come with the HP you got when you added 2 grand to it, fine. If Acura would have added those bolt-ons, you would have paid a lot more than 2 grand. Y'all fuckers need to think before you talk/write. I just took a friend for a ride for the first time. He was very impressed. All I have is the AEM CAI. I agree with GoldTypeS. You know what you bought. Stop trying to make it something it is not. I am very pleased with my car, very. No, it is not the fastest in the world, but that is not what it is meant to be. If I wanted it to race, I would have bought something much faster, but with a shitty ride. If I wanted 100% luxury, I would have spent a lot more. But guess what, If I give it the gas, it moves! If I want to make an average turn at a decently high speed, it can! AND IF I WANT TO GO TO MY GRANDMA'S, IT WILL BE A NICE SMOOTH RIDE. Eat shit and die!
Old 06-29-2001, 04:12 AM
I love my CL-S

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by juice:
You guys need to go fuck yourselves. I have been around this board for a while now and never really spoke up. Yes, It is 12:00 at night, and yes I have been drinking. Look at what you paid! Look at what you got! If you are still complaining, then sell the POS, at least that is what you think. Compare it to anything in the same class(HP, options, you know). If you think it should have come with the HP you got when you added 2 grand to it, fine. If Acura would have added those bolt-ons, you would have paid a lot more than 2 grand. Y'all fuckers need to think before you talk/write. I just took a friend for a ride for the first time. He was very impressed. All I have is the AEM CAI. I agree with GoldTypeS. You know what you bought. Stop trying to make it something it is not. I am very pleased with my car, very. No, it is not the fastest in the world, but that is not what it is meant to be. If I wanted it to race, I would have bought something much faster, but with a shitty ride. If I wanted 100% luxury, I would have spent a lot more. But guess what, If I give it the gas, it moves! If I want to make an average turn at a decently high speed, it can! AND IF I WANT TO GO TO MY GRANDMA'S, IT WILL BE A NICE SMOOTH RIDE. Eat shit and die!</font>
Calm the fuck down buddy....no need to swear like that buddy I totally agree with you and gold..i paid 30k for this car..and i am really happy about it.(some ppl even paid less for the car with navi) ..you are not going to get any car with navi with that price. You get what you pay , and we shouldnt blame Acura that much since our cl are not over-priced like bema or benze. Our car is the best car in the world

------------------
01 silver cl-s
AEM CAI red
Polarg M6
Cannon winter floor mats
35% and 5% tint
Acura-cl.com sticker

[This message has been edited by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS (edited 06-29-2001).]
Old 06-29-2001, 04:23 AM
Pro

Sorry I had to come out that way. It just gets to me after a while.
Old 06-29-2001, 04:27 AM
I love my CL-S

Sorry I had to come out that way. It just gets to me after a while.</font>
I think someone is going to flame YOU when they wake up and see your post tomorrow

------------------
01 silver cl-s
AEM CAI red
Polarg M6
Cannon winter floor mats
35% and 5% tint
Acura-cl.com sticker
Old 06-29-2001, 10:46 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Let me be the first to flame, well, not really.

Anyways, you've missed the point of the thread. It's not whether we all like our cars or got our money's worth (b/c I think we can all agree that everyone here is quite happy with their car), but rather if Acura screwed up the Type S thing by not really going all the way on it and then offering it on all the other cars and pretending like the Type S package is some super sports package like they do on their website and in their ads.

I, for one, the starter of this thread, am very happy with my car in its current form. If nothing else I just wish the Types S came with a better suspension (ie lower, stiffer).

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-29-2001, 12:07 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
Let me be the first to flame, well, not really.

Anyways, you've missed the point of the thread. It's not whether we all like our cars or got our money's worth (b/c I think we can all agree that everyone here is quite happy with their car), but rather if Acura screwed up the Type S thing by not really going all the way on it and then offering it on all the other cars and pretending like the Type S package is some super sports package like they do on their website and in their ads.

I, for one, the starter of this thread, am very happy with my car in its current form. If nothing else I just wish the Types S came with a better suspension (ie lower, stiffer).

</font>
Exactly! BTW, too many posts on this forum get misinterpreted. Most are just brought up for dicussion and to give people something to think about, but then people get all worked up over nothing.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:12 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod:
Exactly! BTW, too many posts on this forum get misinterpreted. Most are just brought up for dicussion and to give people something to think about, but then people get all worked up over nothing.</font>

No kidding. If you don't lay down specific parameters for a thread 90% of the replies don't even make sense with regard to the question that was asked.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-29-2001, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I categorize the Acura "Type S" program as similar to what M-B and BMW offer as there "sport package" on their standard line cars. The sport packages make the cars more "M like" and "AMG like" but don't even try to rival the much higher performance models. The only thing Acura did differently was mildly tune the engine and exhaust which I think made people start expecting more from the cars than they were meant to deliver. If you’ve ever read an M or AMG brochure you'll realize how much modification to the standard models really takes place. We also didn't pay $10-30K more for an "S" the way M and AMG purchasers do. I traded in a M-B AMG for my TL-S and did not expect it to be a cheaper AMG replica nor to even remotely match its performance. I wanted a more civil daily driver that still had some balls. I think the Type S does that really well and for a hell of a lot less money.

You’ll also notice Acura has been careful how it has used the Type R designation and I wouldn’t be surprised if a few years down the road (when the new TL, CL, and RL platforms are released) they didn’t start building a “T” line of cars that are far more modified and a lot more expensive to go after the AMG and M lines.

One thing a lot of people on this forum lose site of is that they are a very small minority in the overall Acura demographic. The name Acura is derived from “accuracy” and if you read the marketing materials Acura places emphasis on precision, accuracy, and engineering. Nowhere (other than with the NS-X and Integra Type R which are “image” cars) do they claim to be a developer of high performance sports cars. You can say anything you want about Acura not hitting the mark or not serving the needs of the small group of enthusiasts on this forum but if you look at their year-over-year sales figures they seem to be doing just fine. The MDX, 2002 TL, and I’m sure the new RSX, are all selling at close to MSRP, which in today’s economy isn’t too shabby folks.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Excellent Point !

Now everyone SHUT their Pieholes !

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
What's really happening is we (some of us, anyways) are pretending our car is something it's not. The car isn't pretending to be anything. A "Type S" is different from a "Type R". It's supposed to be a diluted version - nevermind that marketing crap that says it's not. If Acura wanted to make a CL Type R, they would have. But they'd rather sell cars (imagine that!)

You can love your car all you want, but this all comes down to the old saying... if you wanted a BMW (or Lexus or Audi or whatever) then you should have bought one.

This car is an all-around great performer in ALL aspects even in stock form. That's why we all bought it. If you add a few mods, you sway the luxury/sport ratio over to the sport side. If that's still not enough, then you really should have bought a different vehicle.
</font>

------------------
2001 CL-S Silver
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
14 % Tint
Viper 550 Alarm
Old 06-29-2001, 01:46 PM
Advanced

So long story short, everybody just think Type-S sounds too cool. I like CLSEGT. That doesn't sound cool at all - so then we'd all be like, wow, our cars really outperform the name.

------------------
---------
2001 Black CL-S Navi, spoiler, visor, PIAA 19169s
Old 06-29-2001, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

You guys need to go fuck yourselves. I have been around this board for a while now and never really spoke up. Yes, It is 12:00 at night, and yes I have been drinking. Look at what you paid! Look at what you got! If you are still complaining, then sell the POS, at least that is what you think. Compare it to anything in the same class(HP, options, you know). If you think it should have come with the HP you got when you added 2 grand to it, fine. If Acura would have added those bolt-ons, you would have paid a lot more than 2 grand. Y'all fuckers need to think before you talk/write. I just took a friend for a ride for the first time. He was very impressed. All I have is the AEM CAI. I agree with GoldTypeS. You know what you bought. Stop trying to make it something it is not. I am very pleased with my car, very. No, it is not the fastest in the world, but that is not what it is meant to be. If I wanted it to race, I would have bought something much faster, but with a shitty ride. If I wanted 100% luxury, I would have spent a lot more. But guess what, If I give it the gas, it moves! If I want to make an average turn at a decently high speed, it can! AND IF I WANT TO GO TO MY GRANDMA'S, IT WILL BE A NICE SMOOTH RIDE. Eat shit and die!</font>

OUCH!!!!

An analogy perhaps: You find a new computer that is half the price of the rest. You are happy with it -- it is already a killer machine. I also buy it and decide to add some "goodies" that only make it better.

Are you telling me that people with experience in upgrades and modifications should be punished for making something better for their needs?

The car can be upgraded with a minimum of mods, and it is still sedate (light wheels do wonders for traversing bad roads). I loved the car when I bought it, and like it even more -- and it doesn't ride like a truck either. It rides just as softly as the stock version does and handles in a fashion that suites my tastes, and it even has a bit more power.

Ever notice people don't argue too hard about things they don't care about. So, this goes to the heart of the matter, and the car does what is supposed to do very well. Mine is still a type S!

(and I don't need no stinking badges...)

I still stand by my argument that Acura never realized that the car would be so attractive to so many differing groups/demographics (18 year olds to 80 year olds).

------------------
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 14 coats of Zaino magic
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-29-2001, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Haven't posted on this topic yet, but this is my take:

Acura can market its cars anyway it wants. It can call its sports package the "Type-S", or "Si", or "EX" or whatever it wants to. Why should Acura follow the crowd and jsut offer a "sports package"? If they did that, then we'd bitch and complain that they are following everyone else rather than being unique. I remember joking that they named thier sportiest Integra after a video game!

I just think that a lot of people are trying to make the "Type-S" label what it's not supposed to be...it's just a name that they chose for another trim level.

Now why does Acura have a "Type-S" section on their website? Maybe 'cuz they couldn't think of anywhere else to display info about the goodies this trim level has over the -p. Or maybe they are trying to be unique by doing what no other manufacturer does, or maybe they want to promote their top trim models.

But whatever reason Acura chose "Type-s", it doesn't matter 'cuz a lot of people have bought these cars. I know I'd rather have a "Type-S" than another "EX", "LS", "DX", "T", etc.

(fyi, Lexus includes a nice "VSC" logo on their rx300's with this system...maybe Acura should start making "VSA" logos!).
Old 06-29-2001, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:

I still stand by my argument that Acura never realized that the car would be so attractive to so many differing groups/demographics (18 year olds to 80 year olds)...
</font>
The demographic is less diverse than you think. 58.5% of CL owners are between 30 and 54, precisely the market Acura was aiming for. Only 25.5% are under the age of 30. In fact at 28.8%, there are more CL drivers over 50 than under 30.

According to JD Powers, the breakdown of sales for all model years and all CL model types is:

Age /% of Owners
0-19 /0.9
20-24 /8.6
25-29 /15.9
30-34 /12.4
35-39 /10.8
40-44 /11.7
45-49 /10.9
50-54 /12.7
55-59 /8.1
60-64 /5.3
65-69 /2.3
70-74 /0.4
(100%)

When Acura makes decisions about manual transmissions and what goes into a "Type S" these are the numbers they consider. I'd guess that the majority of members of this forum are in the "under 30" category and don't represent the "average" opionions of CL purchasers.

[This message has been edited by BarryH (edited 06-29-2001).]

Old 06-29-2001, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BarryH:
The demographic is less diverse than you think. 58.5% of CL owners are between 30 and 54, precisely the market Acura was aiming for. Only 25.5% are under the age of 30. In fact at 28.8%, there are more CL drivers over 50 than under 30.

According to JD Powers, the breakdown of sales for all model years and all CL model types is:

Age /% of Owners
0-19 /0.9
20-24 /8.6
25-29 /15.9
30-34 /12.4
35-39 /10.8
40-44 /11.7
45-49 /10.9
50-54 /12.7
55-59 /8.1
60-64 /5.3
65-69 /2.3
70-74 /0.4
(100%)

When Acura makes decisions about manual transmissions and what goes into a "Type S" these are the numbers they consider. I'd guess that the majority of members of this forum are in the "under 30" category and don't represent the "average" opionions of CL purchasers.

</font>

Interesting stats, but I'd be curious to see what the stats are for, say, a Lincoln Mark VIII or the Lexus SC. The 20-30 segment, which is admittedly, the biggest group of this board, is almost 25%!!! That's MUCH more than I expected it to be (I'd have guessed about 15%) and I think those numbers actually kind of back up EricL's statement.

my .02
Old 06-29-2001, 06:45 PM
Safety Car

Age /% of Owners
0-19 /0.9
20-24 /8.6
25-29 /15.9
30-34 /12.4
35-39 /10.8
40-44 /11.7
45-49 /10.9
50-54 /12.7
55-59 /8.1
60-64 /5.3
65-69 /2.3
70-74 /0.4
(100%)

</font>
Very interesting info BarryH. How many total units were sold for CLS, CLP and both? Thanks

------------------
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1603513&a=12224080" TARGET=_blank>
Tinted Silver CLS</A>
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is crazy?
Old 06-29-2001, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big_Pimp's_Type_S:
Very interesting info BarryH. How many total units were sold for CLS, CLP and both? Thanks
</font>
There was a thread from a while back that has the raw data links to get the info on the cars -- how many sold:

Link to thread creator (with more good info):

http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004111.html

Direct link:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/p...ess033475.html

------------------
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-29-2001, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

snip..snip

Age /% of Owners
0-19 /0.9
20-24 /8.6
25-29 /15.9
30-34 /12.4
35-39 /10.8
40-44 /11.7
45-49 /10.9
50-54 /12.7
55-59 /8.1
60-64 /5.3
65-69 /2.3
70-74 /0.4
(100%)

</font>
Statistics are rather deceptive... Another way of looking at the same data:

-------------------------------------------
20 - 29 year olds (inclusive) 24.5% (~1/4)
30 - 39 year olds (inclusive) 23.2% (~1/4)
40 - 49 year olds (inclusive) 23.6% (~1/4)
50 - 64 year olds (inclusive) 26.1% (~1/4)

With 0..19 and 65..200 year olds = 3.6%

Can you say statistics can be made to look anyway you want.

You must do marketing for a living... The old expression, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics", comes to mind...

I think I've demonstrated a rather even distribution, but I will defer to the quote above...

------------------
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-29-2001, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

EricL:

Here are the numbers for the IS300. Draw your own conclusions.

Age/% of Owners

0-19/1.2
20-24/11.6
25-29/17.3
30-34/17.6
35-39/9.1
40-44/9.7
45-49/13.1
50-54/9.1
55-59/6.4
60-64/4
65-69/.9
70-74/0
(100%)

Old 06-29-2001, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

EricL:

Here are the numbers for the IS300. Draw your own conclusions.

Age/% of Owners

0-19/1.2
20-24/11.6
25-29/17.3
30-34/17.6
35-39/9.1
40-44/9.7
45-49/13.1
50-54/9.1
55-59/6.4
60-64/4
65-69/.9
70-74/0
(100%)

</font>
IS300 (a noticable tilt towards younger buyers)...

20 - 29 year olds (inclusive) 28.9% (~1/3)
30 - 39 year olds (inclusive) 26.7% (~1/4)
40 - 49 year olds (inclusive) 22.8% (~1/4)
50 - 64 year olds (inclusive) 19.5% (~1/5)

Each age bracket goes down, unlike the CL-S.
(The fractions actually add-up to 67/60 -- ok)

CLS (re-binned data):
20 - 29 year olds (inclusive) 24.5% (~1/4)
30 - 39 year olds (inclusive) 23.2% (~1/4)
40 - 49 year olds (inclusive) 23.6% (~1/4)
50 - 64 year olds (inclusive) 26.1% (~1/4)

Notice that the 20-29s are balanced by the 50-64. The trend is convex using these bins for the CLS, but the IS300 is a downward curve with a lower age bias.

Perhaps you can throw in the stats for your father's Buick and I can get a real work out!

(And I refer to the quote about statistics again...)

------------------
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-29-2001, 08:14 PM
Instructor

What these studies do not take into account all the parents that have the cars in their names as my Mother did years ago to help keep the insurance down! Just a thought

------------------
2001 Type S White/Ebony with Navi and spoiler, Rustoleum mod V1 with remote
Old 06-29-2001, 08:17 PM
Banned

hehehe..that would be me and my Dad in the 64 category!!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rwwlaw:
What these studies do not take into account all the parents that have the cars in their names as my Mother did years ago to help keep the insurance down! Just a thought

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter with Cold Air Funnel and Ram Air Attachment
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples
Old 09-12-2003, 09:37 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

yea they fuked up now u guys make we wanna mod my car but im only 15 no money
Old 09-12-2003, 09:59 PM
///M POWER

another old ass thread
Old 09-13-2003, 07:02 AM
RIP Red-CL

type s ain't no joke what ither company offers double wishbone suspension? not the G
Old 09-13-2003, 07:52 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
have you ever seen the wheel gap on a viper
Old 09-13-2003, 09:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

holy dug-up thread from 3 years ago!
Old 09-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Beware of leakage

WOW, we have awaken the dead again.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:55 PM
mister D

werd. whyyy
Old 09-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by YuppieCL
holy dug-up thread from 3 years ago!
at least you know he used the search button
Old 09-14-2003, 02:36 AM
6SPDCLS

Originally posted by soopa
Yes, the Type-S badge is a complete f-in joke.

Acura needs to get a clue

I agree, shitty tires, lame handling, 4x4 wheel gap. Makes no sense.

Come on guys, you still dont' know whaddafuck a TypeS means?

T y p e S = Type SHIT
T y p e S = Type SUCK
T y p e S = Type SORRYASS
T y p e S = Type SMOKED
T y p e S = Type SHAME
T y p e S = Type SLOW
T y p e S = Type SPANKED
T y p e S = Type SPIT-on
T y p e S = Type SHAGGED
Old 09-14-2003, 02:48 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by soopa
[B]Yes, the Type-S badge is a complete f-in joke.

anyway, dont Acura isnt totally to blame. Frog Design (www.frogdesign.com) is the consultant on brand image.
MY cousin works for frogdesign... I didn't know they did Acura's brand image.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:31 AM

Dang, I'm with what Soopa said 3 YEARS AGO! He's a genius! They got rid of the Type-S badge with the new TL.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Pro

call it whatever you want ....all I can say is when that latest gen Mustang tried to show off by pulling away from the traffic light next to me and I just decided "yeah ok...why not???' and blew by him by 3rd gear in my '03 6 speed CL-S it was a nice feeling. . especially when Im sure he was saying to himself: "what the hell is that ???"
Old 09-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Took me a bit to realize how OLD this thread was.