sugesstions for lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sugesstions for lug nuts

need a new set i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, and where to get them. thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 02:18 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will go for Project Kics R40 once I get my new rims...

Can get it HERE or search on e-bay/yahoo
Old 07-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Stock TSX rims have an acorn-style/ball-style seat. Just get some cheapy Acura factory lugs if this is what you have.

Most aftermarket rims have a conical seat. For this, I'd go with McGard lugs. They're super-strong, have a lifetime rust guarantee, and the seat of the lug swivels freely from the rest of the body. This means that the lug won't dig into your expensive rims, but rather as soon as the seat is tightened to the rim, the body of the lug swivels. Very cool. Also, their tuner lug packages come with 2 types of drives, meaning if someone wants to steal your rims, they have to have 2 different keys to do so. Good luck to any thief on this, since there's over 80,000 variations of keys...and you can only get keys direct from McGard with a key code and proof of ownership. They also come in a variety of colors. I've used tons of different lugs on various wheel combos on my cars, and McGard is all I will use from here on out

I've heard McGard supplies Honda/Acura with all their lugs...but I could be wrong on that.

http://www.mcgard.com/default2.asp
Old 07-08-2007, 04:47 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
^ McGard

I used a few brand names before
Ray's, Buddy Club, McGard, Project Mu

either McGard or Ray's
Old 07-08-2007, 11:01 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by neocrynym
Stock TSX rims have an acorn-style/ball-style seat. Just get some cheapy Acura factory lugs if this is what you have.

Most aftermarket rims have a conical seat. For this, I'd go with McGard lugs. They're super-strong, have a lifetime rust guarantee, and the seat of the lug swivels freely from the rest of the body. This means that the lug won't dig into your expensive rims, but rather as soon as the seat is tightened to the rim, the body of the lug swivels. Very cool. Also, their tuner lug packages come with 2 types of drives, meaning if someone wants to steal your rims, they have to have 2 different keys to do so. Good luck to any thief on this, since there's over 80,000 variations of keys...and you can only get keys direct from McGard with a key code and proof of ownership. They also come in a variety of colors. I've used tons of different lugs on various wheel combos on my cars, and McGard is all I will use from here on out

I've heard McGard supplies Honda/Acura with all their lugs...but I could be wrong on that.

http://www.mcgard.com/default2.asp
I agreed that the face McGard lugs are super-strong, no doubt. But even if they come with 2 types of drives, it doesn't mean anything. A professional thief who wants your rims can steal all 4 of your rims in 2mins even if you have 20 locks on it.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuson
I agreed that the face McGard lugs are super-strong, no doubt. But even if they come with 2 types of drives, it doesn't mean anything. A professional thief who wants your rims can steal all 4 of your rims in 2mins even if you have 20 locks on it.
100% agree. As the saying goes, if they want them bad enough, they'll get them. However, I'm merely saying that the McGard set is a good bang for the buck because of their strength and that you get 2 differently-keyed lug styles in one package (whereas most high-end lug manufacturers' kits only have 1 key for all 16 or 20 lugs). 2 is better than 1.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are like my favourite lug nuts, but can't justify of spending that much for lugs....
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BU
^ McGard

I used a few brand names before
Ray's, Buddy Club, McGard, Project Mu

either McGard or Ray's
You had that many sets? How was the BC and Project Mu? Never seen the Mu lugs before.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

McGard, I have three sets for my cars, all have been perfect (Ray's face strips way too easy, avoid them)
Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
McGard, I have three sets for my cars, all have been perfect (Ray's face strips way too easy, avoid them)
That sucks. I have a brand new set of black Rays shortie lugs set to go on my Advans pretty soon. But they look good and are mad light, so hopefully I have better experience with them. Other AZine users reccomended them to me, as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
Evidently at Toyota, they enjoy using an impact gun on security lugs/bolts. The destroyed them on my mother's RX300. I had to hammer the key on to get them off b/c the impact reshaped the face.

Just something you have to watch out for when you do security lugs/bolts.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Pro

i have these but the r26's. i believe they're just shorter...but yea i love these. keeps you from damaging the surface of your wheel where the lug nut touches the surface of your rim.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Mcgard locks are not as strong as you think, when i was doing my brake job they snapped like plastic because some idiot at the shop put them on with an air gun. cost me 60 bucks to have them removed. And it doesnt matter how many keys you have because there is 1 tool for removing them.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Racer

excuse my newbie question but i just got a set of Ray's lugs, how many different keys are there...???

someone told me that there are over 200 variations of the Ray's locking nut?

can anyone confrim?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:01 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by Audioserf
That sucks. I have a brand new set of black Rays shortie lugs set to go on my Advans pretty soon. But they look good and are mad light, so hopefully I have better experience with them. Other AZine users reccomended them to me, as well.
I do too.
I have a set of black Ray's shorties, recommended to me as the best on the
market by visionary racing.

The problem, if there is any, is using the wrong tools on them.
Do it right, do it by hand. The lugs cost well over $100, treat them that way.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Instructor

you can buy cheap ones from any tire shop for ~ $40
Old 06-03-2008, 06:32 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
I do too.
I have a set of black Ray's shorties, recommended to me as the best on the
market by visionary racing.

The problem, if there is any, is using the wrong tools on them.
Do it right, do it by hand. The lugs cost well over $100, treat them that way.

Yup - I've had these lugs on since July 07 and they've served me well. They are showing some signs of wear, but as you say that's more due to techs at the dealer using air tools on them. Whenever I work on my car myself, or take it to my alginment shop, it gets hand-torqued.

I may swap them for some blue shorties at some point, but that's down the road. Rays lugs own.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Racer

I'd go rays...but if you want to go baller status they have a set that is two pieces there is an insert into the lug nut you need an allen wrench to take out...then you use the key after that...they are usually around $300 .... and only come blue and red...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Advanced

I just picked up the Gorilla locks for the OEM wheels on our del Sol (38433N - compatible with the ball-style seat) and I'm quite happy with them -- might order some for my TSX soon.. I'm used to taking my lugs off with an impact wrench, and the OEM McGard locks don't take well to it.. there's just not that much surface to soak up the impact. Since the Gorilla locks have a spline style combination that runs the full length of the lug, I'm thinking they'll hold up better to it. In any case, I'm still tightening them by hand with a torque wrench.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BAPE head
excuse my newbie question but i just got a set of Ray's lugs, how many different keys are there...???

someone told me that there are over 200 variations of the Ray's locking nut?

can anyone confrim?
no body know how many variations? i just got a set last night for my ronjon rims, i know i am kinda paranoid but i had a set of rims stolen last year so...eh....

i have a friend who has a set of blue ones on his Wed sports and they look great, even after a few years, you just got be very careful about hand torqing them on and off, will be the best in caring for them.