Okay I got the springs installed today and I have a problem, need advice ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:22 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay I got the springs installed today and I have a problem, need advice ASAP!!!

Okay, so a few months ago I bought springs and a camber kit off of this forum from two seperate members.

The springs were fine, but the camber I bought off of KaiKai144 which were supposed to be in perfect condition is actually stripped on one end and cannot be installed.

The shop went ahead and installed the springs and one of the sides of the camber kit.

So here I am with a lowered car and only a driver side camber kit installed.

I will have to order a right side one soon but until it gets here i have a dilemma....

Some background info:
1. With the negative camber on the back and the front okay, I havn't noticed any vibration or any pulling and the car drives perfectly fine... but looking at it from outside its clearly got bad camber.

2. I have aftermarket 19" rims on there now with almost new tires-- BF Goodrich KGX2 or whatever -- to expensive for me to risk eating up

3. I have two tires that will fit these 19" rims that are not mounted on anything -- Nitto NT555's from my preveious set of 19's (same size as the BG Goodrich)

4. My stock rims dont have tires on them so thats not an option

I have to drive 3.5hrs this weekend to my parent's place.... so I have a few options and I need your thoughts....

Pro: I can get an alignment done, and they could adjust the side with the camber kit on okay. and on the other side that doesn't have the camber kit, i can have them mount one of the Nitto tires i have on the rim so as to not screw up the good tires that are on that one now....
The alignment will have a year long warranty and when I get the other side camber kit on next week they will redo the alignment free of charge.

Con: My right rear tire will still have negative camber with an older nitto tire, while the other 3 will be perfect with my BF Goodrich tires... I'm not sure how this will make the car react in terms of vibrations or anything.

Pro. I can put the 2 nitto tires on the back beacuse i wont care if they get torn up over the next week or so... not bother with the alignment at all, and when the camber comes in next week i'll have them put back on my BF goodrich tires on those two rims, and the alignment done at that time.

Con. I'd have to pay to mount and dismount two tires from the rims not once but 2 times... and it'd cost $35 per tire 2 times... or 140$$ --- just beacuse of this friggin bad camber.... (not something I'd like to do)

What other options can you guys think of? I can't find a camber kit to buy locally, place needs to get it ordered or I can order it online... I dont really have a choice but to wait for a week for the camber

I have to make this trip this weekend and not driving the car is not an option. I am leaving for spring break and wont be back till next week.

ideas anyone???
Old 03-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the stockers, put them on instead of chewing up expensive 19's.

BTW, I have a set of brand new SPC rear cambers for the TSX. I'll let them go for $140 shipped.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:38 PM

well like i said the stockers dont have tires on them... so thats not an option...

as far as the camber is concerned; i just want one for the right side, and also i'm hoping kaikai refunds me or something for part of it... beacuse it was supposedly in perfect condition... and its not even installable.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Another option is to get the camber piece rethreaded...

does anyone know of any places that can get it done? the shop that put in the camber said they were going to try to rethread it but wasn't able to do so.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
How low is the drop? It depends on the problem, a machine shop should be able to fix the threads for you.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:31 PM

its the eibach prokit. --- the camber isn't crazy it looks like theres just a lotta heavy shit in my trunk
Old 03-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

How can one damage a SPC rear camber kit? It doesn't require assembly like the Ingalls.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:51 PM

the part thats circled; its stripped kinda in the middle and so it needs to be rethreaded.

I never even opened the box after kaikai sent it to me beacuse i knew i couldn't aford to get them installed. my fault i guess but i honestly wouldn't have known to look for that.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 PM

also while we're on this can anyone confirm for me whether or not the SPC kit is the same as the comptech kit?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by JTso
How can one damage a SPC rear camber kit? It doesn't require assembly like the Ingalls.
leave it up to me to buy the one used kit for sale that has issues.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
also while we're on this can anyone confirm for me whether or not the SPC kit is the same as the comptech kit?
I don't know if anyone has called and asked, but but they're both the same kind, so its very likely comptech is just reselling SPC's
Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by xizor
I don't know if anyone has called and asked, but but they're both the same kind, so its very likely comptech is just reselling SPC's

Comptech = SPC
Eibach = SPC
Old 03-10-2006, 12:11 AM

well $90.60--- for just the one... which i may have to do.

I'm gong to see if a tap and die set can fix it tomorrow... anyone have any suggestions of where i could go?

I dont know of any machine shops... could someone at lowes or home depot be able to tell me if it can be done??
Old 03-10-2006, 12:20 AM

the more research I do, the more i realize that it actually cannot be fixed and therefore i'm pretty much out $90 to buy a new one from comptech... either way... the problem here and now is waht to do with the car for this trip...

anyone who has the time to read my issue above i'd really like some advice before taking it to tire kingdom tomorrow...

thanks!!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:01 AM
Pro

Well since you were the one who bought the springs from then i'd say go with option one.
I've been riding on those Eibach for couple of months on a highway and my tires seemed fine.
So I would suggest you to go get the alignment with the 1 year warranty then get some kind of refund from the member you bought camber kit from and wait till you can get another set of camber.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the more research I do, the more i realize that it actually cannot be fixed and therefore i'm pretty much out $90 to buy a new one from comptech... either way... the problem here and now is waht to do with the car for this trip...

anyone who has the time to read my issue above i'd really like some advice before taking it to tire kingdom tomorrow...

thanks!!
Check with our vendor MrHeeltoe. He might be able to get you a better deal. Comptech is charging a premium for the kit.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:48 AM

given that the car rides perfect (like it does when it was brand new) after this drop,

what can i expect with one rear tire with negative camber, and the other with no camber issues?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Racer

Oreillys carries SPC products so you may see if they have a kit in stock there locally.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:48 AM

thanks for the heads up....

I dont belive we have any oreileys here in tampa though... .

So heres and update....

I was planning on going to orlando for the first part of my spring break leaving this afternoon. I found a great place in orlando that I can get one SPC camber, and a place right across the street that speciallizes in installing camber and alignments on lowered cars... so i think i'm set...

Its brighter outside now, so now that I look at the car real good i notice that its really not that bad of camber... its off ever so slightly.. as if I have a lotta crap in my trunk. so i think i'll be arite for the trip. :-)
Old 03-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Its brighter outside now, so now that I look at the car real good i notice that its really not that bad of camber... its off ever so slightly.. as if I have a lotta crap in my trunk. so i think i'll be arite for the trip. :-)
it's not the camber that'll kill your tires, its toe, which is very hard to discern with the eye. moda_way had a bad experience on a long drive with a ton of stuff in his trunk, it ate through his ES100's very fast
Old 03-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Maxboost
get some kind of refund from the member you bought camber kit from and wait till you can get another set of camber.
PMed him last night; we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Got Milk???

97AcuraCL.

First off, I am not trying to deny any responsiblity, just want to get down to the truth.

The camber kit was professionally removed and checked by a certified mechanic prior to shipping. They were checked and no damage was found or else the technician would've notified me. I checked the kit itself before shipping as well, no damage.

The other issue is, If you had opened the box within 1 month of purchase from me, I would refund your money without a word and gladly take the kit back. But it's just not very convincing for me to take something back that has been in your possession for 4 months. It's been more than 4 months since the transaction, I hate to say this, but who knows what happened to the kit during these 4 months in your possession.

I've had a very clean and umarked reputation up here on Acurazine. Sold off my OEM wheels to a forum member, and the transaction was very smooth and clean. With all the sellers I worked with, payment was always sent on time without delay nor trouble. I have 100% Positive Feedback on Ebay and I try to make all my buyers completely satisfied. But bottom line is, it's been 4 months, it's a very hard situation for me just as it is for you.

97AcuraCL, is there any way you can take more close-up pictures that is more clear, that way I can have my technician friend take a look at it to see if it's repairable. If it is, I'll be happy to help you on this and repair it for you, but you will have to pay for all shipping. Then we will go from there.

KC
Old 03-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Banned

Man the moment you got them you should've opened it and inspected what you had, seems like your trying to pin the shops mistakes on kaikai114. C`mon now man, 4 MONTHS later!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by TSX6one9
Man the moment you got them you should've opened it and inspected what you had, seems like your trying to pin the shops mistakes on kaikai114. C`mon now man, 4 MONTHS later!!!
I think they can work it out themselves, we don't people that aren't involved chiming in their
Old 03-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by TSX6one9

That's what I feel too, but if there is something that I can help 97AcuraCL, I'm more than happy to do so. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 01:49 AM

i understand the issue about it being so much later. i guess i was just trusting because you were very cool when we were setting up the transaction...

If you recall I was waiting for sometime for u to get them to me, and when i finally recieved them from you i had a little bit of a financial issue and couldn't get them installed...

if you look at any thread of me posting pics of my car in the last few months people bitch about me needing to drop it and i keep saying i've got stuff in my living room but no money to do it yet...

well i took it to the shop and they said it was too stripped to install. I"m on spring break right now and I dont have my camera; so this weekend (sunday) i will take better pics and send it...

the mechanic showed me what happened. ---- i'll try to explain and will post pics later....

the end that is circled above is the part that connects to a certain part of the car, can't remember the name but i'm sure you might know what i'm talking about... -- aparently that part must be removed with a pitchfork looking tool--- i was shown an example of this tool... i was then told that who ever removed it, didn't use that tool but instead they used something like a hammer or something beacuse if you look at the very end of it... its slightly bent, and you can see where it ust have been hitting against sthe socket in the car which is what screwed up about 3-4 rings of thread on the actual bolt... because of this it wasn't able to be installed correctly/safely...

I asked about a tap/die set to re-thread it... but looking at it its bent at the tip and that wouldn't work beacuse there are about 3 complete rings of tread on the bolt thats completely leveled.

I too have had a good rep on this board buying and selling several things, and i dont for a minute think that you tried to screw me over... theres a very good chance that you didn't even notice....

In addition, i've never installed one of these before, i wouldn't even know how the thing works up until now beacuse of the issue with it... so even if i were to have taken it outta the box when you first sent it, i wouldn't have even had a clue to have looked for that. its really unnoticable till it comes time to install, and they clearly showed me what the problem was.

pics on sunday like i said.

--- Today I finally found a shop that had one in stock so i went and purchased a new one, but then the shop i took it to was booked until monday. So i've gotta drive 3hrs this weekend on one cambered rear tire and one without.... and no alignment...

thank god with just the eibach prokit the camber isn't that bad off where i'm really concerned at this point. I think i can make the trip and get it done down there.

once again though--- i dont think you're trying to screw me and I know its not looking good for me since it has been several months... but i gave u the honest explanation as to why i haven't looked at it till now and if you would like u can do a search for my posts consistantly saying that I haven't had the time/money to install the camber. after i get the pics if u want it back -- refund or not -- i'd be happy to send it back to you beacuse several shops (i took it to the alignment shop for a 2nd opinion) told me its completely worthless. -- scrap metal.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:01 AM

also i understand that it may sound fishy on my part too; but i honestly didnt do anything with it in my posession its been in my living room in a corner (behind the television) in the box completely sealed until i took it out and drove the car to the shop the other day.

i've never screwed anyone over on this board, ebay, or any other forum ever (do a search for my posts and threads, my ebay screenname is clstarbai) ... if i broke it or my shop did anything to it i'd own up to it and would not come on here and make an ass of myself over $50.

if you wont refund at least half of what i paid for it then i guess i'll have to take it up the ass and deal with it and learn to inspect shit inch for inch as soon as i recieve it next time. i mean i get ur point about the 4 months thing... just i know taht even if i did take it out to inspect it i wouldn't have even known enough about this part to look at that tread on the bolt.