Michelin Primacy MXV4 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009 | 04:16 PM
Instructor

Michelin Primacy MXV4 Tires

Has anyone tried these on their TSX? If so, what has your experience been? They appear to come in two speed ratings...H or V with the V rated version costing more. Our OEM tires are V rated. I'm considering either these or the Bridgestone Serenitys as my replacement tire. Both fall in the grand touring class that our OEM Pilots are in. However, both of them appear to be far superior to the Pilots.
Old 03-31-2009 | 06:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

i'd be interested to know as well
Old 04-04-2009 | 10:35 PM
Instructor

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=112

Tire Rack test report from August of 08 including the Bridgestone Serenity and the Michelin Primacy tires.

Last edited by vollum; 04-04-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-14-2009 | 05:04 PM
Instructor

I was told by a local tire dealer today that Michelin has discontinued the V rated version of this tire. Makes my tire decision easy...Have an appointment to install the Bridgestone Touranza Serenitys on Monday at the local Firestone store.
Old 04-16-2009 | 03:41 PM
Drifting

just installed these on my wifes 2007 civic. other than the soft sidewall, no complaints.

and yes, it is much better than our oem michelins.
Old 04-16-2009 | 09:08 PM
Slippy maybe...

I see he's gone with the Bridgestones, but I just thought I'd chime in. I just replaced the tires on my wife's Lexus ES300 with the Primacys and I can't get over just how quiet and comfortable a ride they are! My TSX goes in tomorrow to have a new set of Pilots put on, but if it were possible to get a set of Primacys in a size and load rating for the TSX, I'd be very tempted!
Old 04-26-2009 | 04:41 PM
TSX JIGALO

I would check out these Goodyear Assurance if I were you - high all season rating. I live in Chicago and its 3x better my POS trackless OEM tires!
Old 06-24-2009 | 08:18 PM
5th Gear

I just put a set of these on my 06 tsx. They are V rated so they have not been discontinued as stated in the other post. HUGE improvement over the OEM tires. Much quieter and smoother, and very little change in handling.
Old 06-25-2009 | 12:35 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

"very little change in handling"
Old 09-30-2009 | 03:38 PM
Racer

Anyone have any comments about these tires in the last 3 months or so? They seem to be very quiet for those who don't need stiff sidewalls.

For those who have them, what are your impressions?
Old 10-03-2009 | 07:19 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by tftimm
Anyone have any comments about these tires in the last 3 months or so? They seem to be very quiet for those who don't need stiff sidewalls.

For those who have them, what are your impressions?
I just bought 4 Michelin MXV4 215-50-x17 95V XL from TR for a great price. Tires were manufactured in July 2009 and came with GreenX, so they have not been discontinued. Michelin does make this size in an H-rated 91H SL version for some reason, but only the XL should be put on a TSX.

I had the new Primacy MXV4's installed on my 2006 TSX yesterday and first impressions are very positive. Smoother, quieter, and better handling than the 60K well-worn MXM4's. MXM4's still had some tread, but were really slippery last winter, so I needed to replace before the snow flies.

Also looked at the Conti DWS, but hard to find TSX size in stock. Have a friend who put Cooper CS4 on his TSX, but that tire is only 91H SL rated, so that wasn't for me. Another friend put Toyo Versado's on his 2007 RL, but they were a lot more expensive than the special TR price. I also note that both TR and Consumer Reports rank the Primacy MXV4 as the top GT performance all-season tire.

I'm hopeful that these tires will maintain my excellent MPG (30+ in town; 33-35+ on the highway).

I'll try to report again after the snow flies. Fingers crossed that these will do better than the MXM4's, which were really scary last winter.

Earl
Old 10-17-2009 | 08:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by earbuckle
I just bought 4 Michelin MXV4 215-50-x17 95V XL from TR for a great price. Tires were manufactured in July 2009 and came with GreenX, so they have not been discontinued. Michelin does make this size in an H-rated 91H SL version for some reason, but only the XL should be put on a TSX.

I had the new Primacy MXV4's installed on my 2006 TSX yesterday and first impressions are very positive. Smoother, quieter, and better handling than the 60K well-worn MXM4's. MXM4's still had some tread, but were really slippery last winter, so I needed to replace before the snow flies.

Also looked at the Conti DWS, but hard to find TSX size in stock. Have a friend who put Cooper CS4 on his TSX, but that tire is only 91H SL rated, so that wasn't for me. Another friend put Toyo Versado's on his 2007 RL, but they were a lot more expensive than the special TR price. I also note that both TR and Consumer Reports rank the Primacy MXV4 as the top GT performance all-season tire.

I'm hopeful that these tires will maintain my excellent MPG (30+ in town; 33-35+ on the highway).

I'll try to report again after the snow flies. Fingers crossed that these will do better than the MXM4's, which were really scary last winter.

Earl
What did you pay per tire at TR? I saw them listed for $119 for a couple weeks, which it turned out was a phenomenal price. I did some shopping around and no one came close; went back to buy at TR the next day and they had jumped to $169 each. I called them and asked if I could have the lower price and was told they "had no record of them being sold for $119". I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the following day they were advertising a $70 rebate on them.

BTW, these tires just got a top rating in Consumer Reports November tire review.
Old 10-20-2009 | 09:30 PM
Racer

I just ordered 4 Primacy MXV4 215-50-17 95V XL from Costco. I was told they should arrive in a few days. The price was about the same as TR, but it includes road hazard and shipping, which are extra at TR. Costco is also offering a $70 rebate. I will let you know how they drive after I get them installed. The OEMs (2nd set) still had some tread left, but they were slipping badly on wet roads.
Old 10-21-2009 | 05:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I just ordered 4 Primacy MXV4 215-50-17 95V XL from Costco. I was told they should arrive in a few days. The price was about the same as TR, but it includes road hazard and shipping, which are extra at TR. Costco is also offering a $70 rebate. I will let you know how they drive after I get them installed. The OEMs (2nd set) still had some tread left, but they were slipping badly on wet roads.
Ordered mine from Costco on Sunday, supposed to be in today.

I have 53k on the OEMs and there is very little tread left. They surprisingly still have a decent amount of grip (even in the wet) but I know there's no hope for them once we get snow.
Old 12-02-2009 | 09:08 PM
Advanced

I put the XL 95V rated Primacy tires on my 2005 about two weeks ago. The difference wasn't night and day, but they are definitely quieter and smoother riding than the stock tires. I've only gone through one tank of gas, so I'm not sure about the mileage yet.

Total cost out the door was about $825 plus tax, so they definitely weren't cheap, but I was willing to pay for a tire that helps cut the road noise.
Old 12-03-2009 | 01:44 PM
Advanced

I have the H-rated MXV4 primacy's on my daily driven TSX(where on it when I bought it).They are smooth and quite.I have about 10k on them and are still great and look new(they should,it's a 60k tire).Before you bash-I work for a MICHELIN TIRE Store and am well aware of load index and speed rating.I'd recommend these tires if you aren't going to track or race this vehicle.
Old 12-04-2009 | 02:21 AM
Let me help you!

I just put the V-rated Primacy tires on my TSX a week ago, so I don't know how they'll be in the long run. I was comparing this tire to the Bridgestone Serenity (they are both at the top of the Grand Touring type of tires), as well as the BF Goodrich Pole Position (high performance summer tires). All 3 tires had great ratings, but I ultimately chose this tire because of its high tread rating. I figure I'll get high performance summer tires when I get light-weight aftermarket rims, and then my oem rims and Primacy tires can be used for years to come during the rainy months so that I won't have to keep cleaning my aftermarket rims much.

Anyway, with such a high tread rating, I figured the tires would have a very hard compound and that the sidewall and ride would be a little harsh.

I have Tein SS coilovers, and the dampening didn't affect the ride much on the oem tires. When I put the Primacy tires on, and kept the dampening at the same settings, the ride is so much softer. If someone were to drive my car now and compare it to how it drove when my car had oem springs and tires, they would probably think that the latter had an aftermarket suspension because it's so much more firmer. I'm actually thinking of setting my coilovers firmer, but I wanted to keep it at the same setting for now so that I can compare the tires to oem.

The only thing that I don't like is that the front tires seem to bulge out more than the oem tires do with less air pressure (e.g., it looks like it's flat). I don't know if that means the sidewalls are weaker compared to stock, but I guess it'll do for now.

It seems to respond really well on the road. A couple of days ago, I was on the outside lane of a 2-lane freeway transition that begins with you going down hill, and as it curves left, it transitions to an uphill curve. This is the only place where I go over the speed limit (usually I'm the only car there when I get there, and it's the only time my TSX's suspension is put through its paces). I think the speed limit is 45 mph there, but I took it at around 80 mph (with my oem tires, I get nervous past 70 mph). It was late at night, and looking ahead, my HIDs revealed that there was debris on the outside lane. Without hesitation, the car followed my instructions and brought me to the inside lane quickly and obeyed me as I maneuvered around the lesser amount of debris on the inside lane. I was surprised at how well the car responded since the oem tires would probably not have allowed me to swerve so quickly.

Compared to the OEM tires, the Primacy are extremely quiet. I actually hear the engine now, and I can hear the suspension parts moving. The tires don't squeal when you take turns sharply. The tires grip the road, and when they do slip, you won't hear it...you'll only feel your car slip a little before the grab traction again. With oem tires, my 6MT can occasionally cause the tires to spin. I have yet to be able to spin my tires off the line.

To sum it all up, I love the quietness and softness of the ride, but hate the bulging look of the front tires. I would purchase these tires in the future (unless the tires become worse when more miles are put on them).