looking at replacement tires... got a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at replacement tires... got a couple questions

I am currently running on the OEM Michelin's still. I am looking at all-season tires.

Has anyone tried the Dunlop SP Sport Signatures and/or the General Altima HP tires?

Those are two of the tires that I am currently considering. The General one is a 91H tire and the OEM is a 93V. I am not terribly concerned with the speed rating, but is the load rating an issue?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would stick with 93V. Tirerack.com will give you recommendations as well as reviews.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I swapped my OEMs for a set of Continental Exclaim UHP and am very happy with them. The are much quieter, handle better, and feel more comfortable. They are a summer tire but get very good wet handling scores. Only in the snow are the ratings subpar, although you won't see any snow in LA unless you go up into the mountains. The only negative is that they are giving me on the average around 2-3 mpg less than I was getting on the OEMs. I used to get 33 to 34 mpg on the highway and I'm getting around 29-30 now. This may have something to do with the cold weather or winter blend gas, I won't know for sure until I spend an entire year on them.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I would stick with 93V. Tirerack.com will give you recommendations as well as reviews.
Yes I know that, most of my primary research was done on tirerack's site. They of course suggest tires with the 93V rating, but I wanted to see if some other ppl on here had more extensive experiences with those specific tires.
There are a couple of ppl who bought the General 91H's, but not many... perhaps for a reason.

Tire-rack and many other places highly suggest the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, but I'm still evaluating whether or not they are really worth the extra cost.

jlukja, thanks for the review. Although I do live in LA, the reason that I'm looking into all-seasons is because I do go into the mountains during the snowboard (winter) season.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by funyuns101
Yes I know that, most of my primary research was done on tirerack's site. They of course suggest tires with the 93V rating, but I wanted to see if some other ppl on here had more extensive experiences with those specific tires.
There are a couple of ppl who bought the General 91H's, but not many... perhaps for a reason.

Tire-rack and many other places highly suggest the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, but I'm still evaluating whether or not they are really worth the extra cost.

jlukja, thanks for the review. Although I do live in LA, the reason that I'm looking into all-seasons is because I do go into the mountains during the snowboard (winter) season.
I'm sure you'd be fine with the 91H load and speed ratings. Even the 91 rating gives you plenty of reserve load capacity when installed on the TSX. And the H speed rating is more that adequate (when was the last time you cruised at or above 130MPH?). The V speed rating is due to the potential top speed of the car (let's just say it's above 130), though few will ever see that. Not sure what Honda was thinking with the 93 load rating (and XL at that). My guess is we can pretty much thank the litigious society (the lawyers) here for both. And a flaw with Tirerack's search function.... if you use the car instead of the tire size to base a search on.... is the pesky load rating. Many (probably most) OE size tires are not rated 93V. Oh, and I've had a couple of sets of the General (That GENERAL) Exclaim UHP and it's an outstanding tire; a steal at less than around $100 a piece for a TSX.