How heavy is too heavy before a rim starts to negatively impact a tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:37 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How heavy is too heavy before a rim starts to negatively impact a tranny?

???
Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit confused as it's not the tranny (generally taken as meaning gearbox) that's affected, but the handling and performance.
The standard wheels produced by Honda/Acura are quite weighty outright - I certainly wouldn't be wanting to change to heavier ones.
Ideally, you should look to forged ones to save 20% ish on the weight, and gain 10% (or much more?) on performance (accel/mpg/braking) and handling.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:16 PM

well i've had a buncha problems with my transmission lately, and though i got it covered under warranty, they told me that the problem is mainly arising beacuse the rims are too heavy. yea they're 19's but they're Moda, which I thought was originally manufacutred by BBS, yes they are heavier than stock, but not by much i dont think?

so how much is too much to affect the tranny?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
well i've had a buncha problems with my transmission lately, and though i got it covered under warranty, they told me that the problem is mainly arising beacuse the rims are too heavy. yea they're 19's but they're Moda, which I thought was originally manufacutred by BBS, yes they are heavier than stock, but not by much i dont think?

they are feeding you the biggest load of bullshit ever. read this Magnuson- Moss Warranty Act and print a copy and take it to the dealer with your. If they give you that load of bullshit again hand them that and tell them your lawyer will be calling them. They will quickly change there mind and fix your car for you.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM
New to Modding Cars

^^^ CCC you're badass.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Racer

Yea more dealer B/S.

Performance wise, stock rims are 21 lbs. In general terms a wheel which weighs more than that will hurt handling, braking and acceleration. Now with 19" rims the weight is moved out farther than a stock rims (by 2") so 21 lb. 19" rims will hurt (relatively speaking) handling/braking and acceleration even though they weigh the same as the stock rims.

I wonder if there is a mathmatical equation to illustrate this. Anyone?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
they are feeding you the biggest load of bullshit ever. read this Magnuson- Moss Warranty Act and print a copy and take it to the dealer with your. If they give you that load of bullshit again hand them that and tell them your lawyer will be calling them. They will quickly change there mind and fix your car for you.
Relax bro...Read his post again, he said he got it covered under warranty...
Old 02-05-2007, 03:44 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I just did a quick search, and I can't find any weight info on the 19" Moda R6. However, the 18" Moda R6 is 28.6lbs from various site, so with 19" it's easily over 30lbs. It will slow down a car ALOT in response, but I'm not sure if it will fxxk up a tranny.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:45 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Stock rims are 21-23.5lbs, if the Moda is 19" and over 30lbs, plus additional tires weight, it's quite alot after counting all 4 wheels.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Where did my garage go?

regardless, with 180+hp, even if your rims are carved out of depleted uranium they are considered 'unsprung weight' -- your car pushes them around. plus or mimus a few pounds here and there would affect your handling & overall performance figures, but it would take hundreds and hundreds of pounds to create the kind of strain that would affect a transmission. Like, say, towing a boat or a 30-foot Airstream.

i might be wrong.
i am just a layperson.
but it sounds like the dealership is laying it on pretty thick.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by joerockt
Relax bro...Read his post again, he said he got it covered under warranty...
none the less i know of dealers that have tried to pull things like this on friends. i have never had it happen to me personally however i do know it happens.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 PM

well i know that the performance is affected by it. and i know may people ont he board is like why the hell would you make the car slower/perform worse. but honstly i dont mind, i'm not racing the car or pushing it more than a DD, and it looks friggin sexy as hell compared to stock. so it works. (plus i got a great deal on them)

so what i'm hearing though is that there is no reason these should hurt the transmission. fuck up performance yes, but shouldn't cause a premature wear on the tranny. right??

and yea i did get them to take care of it 'through a hookup'--- but i still got 'a lecture' about he weight of the rims adding undue stress on it causing it to fuk the car up.

i dont drive the car rough, i dont do like burn outs and shit with it, and so i just asked him how come i see RSX's and TL's come in the shop with like 20" Chrome wheels that HAVE GOT to be heavier than mine (or at least much heaveier than stock) with no problems?

he didn't have much to say, rather just gave me a 'its ur car do what u want, but we're not fixing it again beacuse of your wheels should it happen again"

i took my keys and left but i wanted to see if there was any truth to his claim cuz if he was right i truly dont wanna fuck up the tranny again cuz of it
Old 02-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

put your stock wheels back on whenever you go to the dealership, problem solved.

heavy wheels shouldn't affect your transmission at all. don't worry what people are saying about unsprung weight, even if the moda's are 10lb more than OEM rims, and the affect of unsprung weight is 8 times regular weight... that's a total of 320lbs, or the equivalent of 2 humans in your car. you're not towing a boat, jeez!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by xizor
put your stock wheels back on whenever you go to the dealership, problem solved.

heavy wheels shouldn't affect your transmission at all. don't worry what people are saying about unsprung weight, even if the moda's are 10lb more than OEM rims, and the affect of unsprung weight is 8 times regular weight... that's a total of 320lbs, or the equivalent of 2 humans in your car. you're not towing a boat, jeez!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by TodaSi
Yea more dealer B/S.

Performance wise, stock rims are 21 lbs. In general terms a wheel which weighs more than that will hurt handling, braking and acceleration. Now with 19" rims the weight is moved out farther than a stock rims (by 2") so 21 lb. 19" rims will hurt (relatively speaking) handling/braking and acceleration even though they weigh the same as the stock rims.

I wonder if there is a mathmatical equation to illustrate this. Anyone?
you mean an unsprung weight equation?

I hear your reasoning, but generally speaking, arent the tires the ones that make up a good chunk of your overall wheel weight? so if you replace that area of the wheel w/ more rim (resulting in less tire) does that equate to basically the same performance? or maybe its the fact that the actuall wheel BARREL is larger and spinning further away from the wheel hub. Eh, too much math and physics.

I guess the only way to know if you have an improvement without dyno, is if you maintain the same OEM size, and go with a lighter wheel/tire combo.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 AM
OEM plus!

I am going to go against the grain on this one. I think it is possible to add stress to drivetrain parts with heavier wheels. There is talk on truck forums about wheel weights and negative effects. My boss who just tossed his Denali was having issues with some component in his AWD system as a result of the 24's he had on it. I don't remember which part was having the trouble, but it would cause the truck to leak out all sorts of fluid and be immobilized.

Now in your case, I don't think the 19's are killing your tranny, it is a simple wheel that doesn't have a full face. Now if you were rolling around in 20's that we just a big plate of a wheel, I think you might be asking for trouble down the line.