BULGE in my tire a l r e a d y !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BULGE in my tire a l r e a d y !!!!!

Ahh I can't believe this!!

I bought my TSX last July and I found a bulge in my tire.. meaning that there is some kind of weakness in it. MY dealership said to contact Michelin and apparently the warranty on the tires that comes with the car doesn't apply unless the tires are replaced (the ones that come with the vehicle are not covered!) So i have to buy a new tire ! And apparently bulges come from potholes.. but how can I avoid them! I live in Canada.. we have snow here in the winter!!
Old 07-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Who said the tires don't come with a warranty? The dealer or ppl from michelin? Unless new cars come with USED tires, it will come with a warranty. Check the tire warranty paper that came with your car. If dealer told you this, it sounds like they're taking you for a ride. I'm not surprised they're blaming it on potholes.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSX7
Who said the tires don't come with a warranty? The dealer or ppl from michelin? Unless new cars come with USED tires, it will come with a warranty. Check the tire warranty paper that came with your car. If dealer told you this, it sounds like they're taking you for a ride. I'm not surprised they're blaming it on potholes.
No, they seems not throw in tire warranty for new car now. I dun get ne tire warranty on my tsx as well as my bmw that I used to have when I bought my Civic, Prelude, MX-6, S70 T5,...etc.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

a buldge in a tire is the equivilent of you damaging your car's body. so you are out of luck on this one...

as for avoiding potholes... buy a 2nd set of tires for winter driving, use a higher profile tire that will resist damage if going through a pothole.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:56 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are no "waranties" on tires that come on cars OE, the manufacturer will tell you go to michelin, go to goodyear, et al.... The tire companies will tell you talk to the manufacturer of the car(since they are the purchaser of the tires, not you the consumer). See a pattern happening? The automobile manufactures claim to offer a waranty though I have never seen evidence of it. From time to time the dealer will accomodate you, but don't think it goes any further then that, the dealerships are simply doing you a favor if they help you out.

The main reason for this is because the automobile manufacturer's buy tires in such large quantities they negotiate special pricing and thus get less all around. The waranty on a tire is often the first thing to go out the window. Also you didn't hear it from me, but tires the come OE are often NOT the same tires you get aftermarket, they use what is known as "cafeing" on OE tires based on the automobile manufacturer's specifications. So even though you will get another Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 chances are the compounding will be different from your OE tire, in some cases the construction itself will even be different!

But if you want to buy say 100,000+ tires in 4 different sizes per year, nearly any tire company will build a tire to your specs, and give you a hell of a deal to boot.

In regards to a year old tire, with a roadhazard, your out of luck- hell the tires are probably getting low if you have put any miles on the car. If the dealership does anything they are being particularly kind. I must say if you drive those michelin's in winter your a braver soul then I ever would be!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:16 PM
10th Gear

Both Michelin and Acura told me that they weren;t under warranty since they came with the car...apparently Michelin did warranty the tires that came with vehicles prior to 2004.. how convenient! Avoiding potholes is almost impossible here since they are rampant throughout every season.. in the winter for obvious reasons and then in the summer when the asphalt cracks from expanding and all that! I ordered the tire, and now I am scared to drive my car because the tire could blow at any time!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:05 AM
2nd Gear

I have a similar problem in NY. I have a bulge and a bent rim. I asked the dealer about the warranty without telling him I fell in a pothole, and he told me its not under warranty it is considered a road hazard. When I went to the dealer for an oil change the estimate for a rim and tire was $732. So much for a trouble free new car purchase.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Tuxedo Cat

Tireguy's absolutely correct. Manufacturers specify tires to do one thing and one thing only -- to improve fuel efficiency. They don't care that the grip is lousy, that the tires skid when it's wet, or that the tires blow up when you hit completely normal levels of road disrepair. They need their CAFE standards met, and the market says they can't achieve it by making the cars smaller or putting in smaller engines, so they tweak all kinds of other things.

Entire lines of tires have been designed to achieve this goal. The MXM4s on our TSXs are one. Bridgestone RE92s are another. Same with the Goodyear RS-As. Look at new cars and see how many of them come with one of those or another. None of them are particularly good tires, but they are good at improving fuel efficency a percent or two, especially when delivered in the "OEM" specifications, which are usually even worse than the ones sold to the general public. (The tire manufacturer has to worry about liability when they sell directly to the public.)

Also, you'll note that very often getting "OEM" tires is 50-100% more expensive than getting anything else. Look through the listings at TireRack for 215/50-17 and you'll find these crappy MXM4s to be the most expensive of the lot. They hope that purchasers will be dumb enough to want the "original equipment tire" and pay a premium for it.

I'm getting rid of my stock tires before it rains here. They're bad enough on dry roads.