Zero-Touch Down Back Window

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zero-Touch Down Back Window

Anybody have their windows roll down on their own while driving? My rear passenger window has done this twice now in 2 months of ownership. So far only while driving, not when parked.

Not exactly frequent, but a cause for concern. I'll get it checked out at the next service, but my fingers aren't crossed. In the meantime, I'm locking the windows and keeping a close eye on it when driving through the cashwash.

Does locking the windows actually disable the power to them?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Never heard of this problem before.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:02 AM
The Voice of Reason

Ummmmm. Well, when my car had about 10 miles on it, I discovered that the driver's door switches are flush with the top of the armrest, so if I rested my hand on the switches one of the rear windows would go down. So I keep the windows "locked" now. Another ergonomic "miss" in the car, but I can't think of any other solution.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe there's a ghost in the car...
http://www.weirdland.com/living_ghost_in_car.htm

the sixth sense
Old 12-24-2003, 09:46 AM
More On

There's something like this about Manhattan Cable (now taken over by Time Warner).
When I lived in the city, sometimes the TV would go on by itself. Happened to a few other people too.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Pro

Originally posted by dabuda2004
maybe there's a ghost in the car...
http://www.weirdland.com/living_ghost_in_car.htm

the sixth sense

I'll check with Acura to see what the recommended mileage interval between exorcisms is. Maybe they'll throw one in with one of the first two free service visits? I'll be asking the ghost to wash the car next - indigo is tough to keep clean.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Pro

Originally posted by bob shiftright
so if I rested my hand on the switches one of the rear windows would go down. So I keep the windows "locked" now. Another ergonomic "miss" in the car, but I can't think of any other solution.
Definitely not that. I normally drive with my left hand and don't touch the armrest much. The window went down in one continuous motion (like an auto down). I would think if the switch was accidentally triggered it would be more intermittent.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:20 PM
10th Gear

I have had the passenger window go down automatically. I was in the car sitting in the driveway, and the passenger door was open. Definitely not my hand being on the arm rest. Couldn't figure out what caused it to happen.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had a stereo that would turn itself on (yes... even in the middle of the night) and then proceed to go to full volume. It was a bad ground that caused the problem. The store gave me a full refund after bringing it back to them 3 times.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:27 PM
More On

DEVO -- Good thing you hadn't gotten it on eBay!
Old 01-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Re: Zero-Touch Down Back Window

Originally posted by kiteboy
Anybody have their windows roll down on their own while driving? My rear passenger window has done this twice now in 2 months of ownership. So far only while driving, not when parked.

Not exactly frequent, but a cause for concern. I'll get it checked out at the next service, but my fingers aren't crossed. In the meantime, I'm locking the windows and keeping a close eye on it when driving through the cashwash.

Does locking the windows actually disable the power to them?
this has happened to me several times. most recently today as i was driving home from work. it always seems to be the rear passenger if i can remember correctly.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:02 PM
TfD
Cruisin'

Re: Re: Zero-Touch Down Back Window

Originally posted by KJLite
this has happened to me several times. most recently today as i was driving home from work. it always seems to be the rear passenger if i can remember correctly.
My wife drove my car to work, comes home, and tells me the rear window went down on its own.

Turns out when she was adjusting the side mirrors, her arm rested on the switch for the rear passenger window.

Still beats rolling them down by hand, so quit yer cryin
Old 01-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Zero-Touch Down Back Window

Originally posted by TfD
My wife drove my car to work, comes home, and tells me the rear window went down on its own.

Turns out when she was adjusting the side mirrors, her arm rested on the switch for the rear passenger window.

Still beats rolling them down by hand, so quit yer cryin
its possible, but doubtful, given the fact that the window switches lie flush, so it would be hard to debress with the meat of your forearm.

it only happens once a month or so, so it doesn't bother me. scares the shit out of me, when i hear all th buffeting suddenly over my stereo.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Maybe, it's the FOB that's activating the windows .... after all, one of the cool features is having the windows roll down (if memory serves me), on the third click of the "door unlock" button!

TSXKid
Old 01-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TSXKid
Maybe, it's the FOB that's activating the windows .... after all, one of the cool features is having the windows roll down (if memory serves me), on the third click of the "door unlock" button!
It's not the 3rd click that activates the windows. You need to hold down the 2nd click and all the windows roll down, but only as long as the button is pressed. If you release it, the windows stop.

Therefore, it's unlikely that its the fob, since in every reported case, it's been the rear passenger window only, and it went full down in one go. Everyone's fob batteries would also be dead if this were the case.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro

Solved!

It happened again, only this time, I noticed my knee was pressed against the console on the door. The window stopped when I moved my leg away from the door. I couldn't reproduce it after that, but I did notice the whole console can move 1" in and out when pressure is applied - seems like a lot of play.