Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Windshield replacement

Got a crack in my windshield. Anyone know how much it costs to replace the windshield?

Dealer quote was around $1,000. About $750 for the OEM windshield and $250 for install. However, the most my insurance would pay for this is $300.

Safelite's quote was for about $250. However, Safelite uses their own low quality glass. So I'm definitely not going with them.

Found a glass shop on glass.net that gave me a quote for $250(about $140 for the glass and $110 for the install). They use either PPG or APTech glass. So the quality is as good as the OEM glass. But I'm suspicious on how low the cost is. Could they be using fake stuff?

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I had my windshield replaced about 6 months ago. The prices you mention for the official factory glass are about what I received.
There are 2 types of glass.
Acura doesn't really make glass - they buy from OEM companies - PPG is one - I don't know about APTech. Another OEM company is Pilkington. (Pilkington developed the process of making sheet glass by pouring molten glass over molten tin). The OEM is just as good as Acura glass - in fact they may have made the Acura glass. OEM companies have the "blueprints" of the glass and can probably make a perfect copy of the original windshield.
Safelite is not an OEM maker - they have to "reverse-engineer" the windshield and don't have an official copy of the blueprints.
I have been entirely happy with my Pilkington replacement (total cost about $300). The only difference that I have noticed is that the dark-band at the top of the windshield isn't as opague - I can see traffic lights through it.
Two installation notes.
1. have your installer be careful about the side molding that extends up the roof. I had to have some clips replaced because they got broken in the installation.
2. be sure the windshield is positioned correctly - the VIN appears through a small window at the base of the windshield - if the windshield is too low - you can't easily see the VIN.

Last edited by darowa; 03-09-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Instructor

APTech is apparently a division of Asahi Glass of Japan so they may have been a supplier to Honda in Japan. Probably an OEM supplier.
(my Pilkington was made in Mexico - it would be expensive for windshields to be shipped all the way from Japan - probably the reason official Acura glass is more expensive).
One further note, your dealer (Acura or Honda) may be able to recommend a reputable glass guy. Most dealer sub-contract the glass work out to an independent guy.

Last edited by darowa; 03-09-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Thanks. I called another glass shop that deals with OEM distributors and the price was even better at $220. They also use APTech or PPG. I believe APTech is Asahi's subsidiary that manufactures in Mexico, so it should be a good alternative. This glass shop is also NGA certified, if that means anything.

Work to be done tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Thanks. I called another glass shop that deals with OEM distributors and the price was even better at $220. They also use APTech or PPG. I believe APTech is Asahi's subsidiary that manufactures in Mexico, so it should be a good alternative. This glass shop is also NGA certified, if that means anything.

Work to be done tomorrow.
I have about 11,554,335,937 sand pits in my windshield - its absolutely rediculous. I will be replacing my windshield early this summer -- please let me know which glass you get and how you compare it to OEM. Specifically, where there's more curvature (near left and right edges) - is there more distortion, or a more "hard" line where the glass shifts the view than with OEM glass?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Instructor

I have noticed no distortion with the Pilkington. The only "optical" thing I have noticed is that the dark band at the top of the windshield doesn't totally block vision. I consider this an advantage because I can see traffic lights through the band (rather than moving my head lower to look through the clear part of the glass).
Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by curls
I have about 11,554,335,937 sand pits in my windshield - its absolutely rediculous. I will be replacing my windshield early this summer -- please let me know which glass you get and how you compare it to OEM. Specifically, where there's more curvature (near left and right edges) - is there more distortion, or a more "hard" line where the glass shifts the view than with OEM glass?
Well, they did the work this morning. Looks good and professional. The glass they used was APTech, which is the same company that makes the Asahi OEM on my TSX, although the APTech was made in Indonesia. Looks exactly like my OEM as expected.

Originally Posted by darowa
I have noticed no distortion with the Pilkington. The only "optical" thing I have noticed is that the dark band at the top of the windshield doesn't totally block vision. I consider this an advantage because I can see traffic lights through the band (rather than moving my head lower to look through the clear part of the glass).
By dark band, do you mean the blueish tint or the black painted on dot matrix?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks F-C. I just called a recommended glass-guy here in Ottawa and was quoted $215 + tax. That's stellar, and is for PPG glass! Other places want $270+ and said they use DOT-approved glass, which we all know means nothing unless its OEM-quality optics.

Assuming I can see the PPG logo before he installs it, I think I'm going to go with this guy. Lifetime warranty, he's been in business for many years, and comes recommended highly by many locals. Its a bonus that he's the cheapest, too!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Instructor

By "dark band" I mean the dark tinted area at the top of the windshield - maybe 5 or 6 inches wide completely across the top of the windshield - the glass is dark to diminish the sun. (not the dot matrix that is all around the edges of the windshield)

Last edited by darowa; 03-10-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by curls
Thanks F-C. I just called a recommended glass-guy here in Ottawa and was quoted $215 + tax. That's stellar, and is for PPG glass! Other places want $270+ and said they use DOT-approved glass, which we all know means nothing unless its OEM-quality optics.

Assuming I can see the PPG logo before he installs it, I think I'm going to go with this guy. Lifetime warranty, he's been in business for many years, and comes recommended highly by many locals. Its a bonus that he's the cheapest, too!
The PPG logo should be on either the lower left or lower right of the glass.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Wow, interesting that you guys have to put so much effort into replacing you windshield. Here in Mass., you call your insurance company (in my case AMICA) or your agent, and tell them you need a windshield (they'll suggest a place that they have a deal with, but you're free to use anyone you want). They give you a number (similar to a PO number) and that's about it. No one comes to look at the car, and I call whoever I want to arrange to have the windshield replaced. I called my service adviser at my Acura dealer (if you're not on a first name basis with a service adviser at your dealer, you should be) to find out who they use (no dealer I know of actually does glass work. Like much of the services they "provide", the job is done by an outside firm). It turned out to be one of the glass shops also on the insurance company's list, so it was all good (JN Phillips, one of the larger glass providers in New England). A couple of phone calls and I'm done (at no cost by the way). Of course I probably pay like double what you guys do for insurance, so I guess it's all relative. I didn't realize it was so cheap to have the windshield replaced though ($220 wow).

Last edited by Simba91102; 03-10-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by darowa
By "dark band" I mean the dark tinted area at the top of the windshield - maybe 5 or 6 inches wide completely across the top of the windshield - the glass is dark to diminish the sun. (not the dot matrix that is all around the edges of the windshield)
The blueish tint on my windshield was never that dark. Whether the original OEM or my new replacement, the tint doesn't really impair visibility. Are you saying that your original OEM windshield's tint didn't allow you to see the traffic lights? That was never the case with mine.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Instructor

At some intersections, the traffic lights are mounted on a wire above the center of the intersection which makes the light fairly high. The dark band (which doesn't pass much light) would prevent me from seeing the traffic light very well when I was stopped maybe first in line. I could lower my head (and eyes) to bring the clear glass between me and the traffic light - I could then see the color of the light. I am not particularly tall but I would think tall people would be looking through that band frequently. The original windshield had a band that was pretty dark and I couldn't see through it very well. The new (Pilkington) windshield still has a dark band but it is not so dark and I can see through it much better.

Last edited by darowa; 03-10-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installation question...

I'm very particular about my 2006 TSX, and I'm getting the windshield replaced in 2 days by Safelite who my insurance company uses and I have requested the PPG glass which they have ordered. My question is about the installation.

I've looked up parts diagrams on Acura parts websites and I see that there is a major rubber seal underneath the glass. I'm assuming this is what seals the glass.

Will they reuse this seal or install a new one. I have a MAJOR fear they will just glue the new windshield in place with some kind of goop or urethane which is not acceptable in my opinion. I'm very particular with my automobile and want things done correctly.

I just called Safelite back and they are going to have a Manager or Tech call me so I can ask them directly. If they can't do it properly, I'm canceling the appointment.

Brian
Houston, TX
brian78tx@yahoo.com
Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Instructor

The factory glues the windshield into place. The after-market replacement will do the same. This is normal practice. There is no separate rubber seal - the seal is formed in place by putting a bead of urethane around the opening and then windshield presses against the body.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
5th Gear

Thanks, yeah I watched a video on YouTube yesterday that was very professional and I figured that was the standard way of doing it. I just hope they send a couple of very experienced technicians. I sure don't want my dashboard gouged up when they cut out the bottom of the glass from the inside as they show in this video. Just concerned about that and then them replacing the moldings properly. But I guess they do this hundreds of times all across the country. Here's the video. http://youtu.be/aEEWMRNeB-g
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Instructor

I had a replacement and the procedure for removing, gluing and replacing the windshield went fine.
I did have problems with the technician breaking some of the clips that hold the molding on either side of the windshield (the molding that runs up the side of windshield and onto the roof to the rear window). Be sure that they carefully remove and replace these clips with care - they can be cracked. I had to order some new clips to replaced some damaged clips. (The molding across the top of the windshield was replaced - it apparently is destroyed on removal of the old windshield).
Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 PM
3rd Gear

Exclamation

Does the VIN number alightment look off to you guys? I just replaced the windshield.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
What VIN number?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by miner
What VIN number?
It's there. If you actually look down, you can see it. I have a feeling it should be better aligned, but so far, no leaks or anything. Is it worth taking back to get it redone?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryZeelandia
It's there. If you actually look down, you can see it. I have a feeling it should be better aligned, but so far, no leaks or anything. Is it worth taking back to get it redone?
If you can read the number (the whole thing), it doesn't matter (and I can't imagine they'd put a new windshield in it on your say so; once it's installed, you can't get it out in one piece). If you can't read the number, it's most likely not legal.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My windshield just cracked on my way from Canada. Noticed that F-C is also from the NYC area. Do you have the name or contact info for the company you used for a replacement?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 AM
5th Gear

Hi

I had replaced the windshield my TL back in 2008 and it in no way cost as much as your dealer is suggesting.

Unfortunately I do not recall the exact cost of the repair, but I believe it was a few hundred dollars in which my insurance had paid for it.

There is absolutely no reason for you to have the dealer install one for you, any reputable windshield outfit can easily do the job for you and a reduced cost.

Rgs

/Felix
Old 06-04-2013, 01:27 AM
5th Gear

Lol …… had to correct a few grammatical errors

I had replaced the windshield for my TL back in 2008 and it in no way cost as much as what your dealer is suggesting.

Unfortunately I do not recall the exact cost of the repair, but I believe it was a few hundred dollars, in which my insurance had paid for it.

There is absolutely no reason for you to have the dealer install it.
Any reputable windshield outfit can easily do the job for you at a reduced cost.

Rgs

/Felix