Windows Freezing!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windows Freezing!!

Well its winter now and my windows keep on freezing, they pretty much dont open. Does any one else have this problem? could it be a leak? and is it covered under my lease/warranty? its really getting annoying.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My windows freeze--on the INSIDE

It's not just you. My windows freeze on the outside but, even more annoyingly, on the inside. I have to leave my car outside (no garage) and every day since the winter turned cold I have to scrape ice off the INSIDE of my windows. Of course, the scraping melt, which then dampens the interior, and then the cold simply freezes it up again. I've tried using that "Damp" stuff (the white crystals that soak up moisture) in a little vented basket. I've sprayed "window freeze prevention" spray on the inside (not a good idea, I know, since this stuff is poison). Nothing helps. To be fair, this same problem happened with my old Nissan Maxima, but I'm just getting sick of having a weather system inside my car all the time.

Suzie
Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

Happened to me for the very first time (only had the car 10 months). None of my other cars (even my '99 Civic coupe with its crappy windows) had this problem, sucks because I need to show my ID to the security guards outside work so now I'm stuck opening my door to hand it over to them.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My windows occasionally get frozen shut. The rubber seal at the bottom (on the outside) will freeze to the glass and the window won't budge. If I point the heater vent to the left of the steering wheel at it, it usually thaws out in about 10 or 15 minutes. The thing that's most annoying about it is that it screws up auto down feature on the window and it stops every couple of inches afterward. To retrain it you have you get the window open all the way and continue holding the button down for about 10 seconds. This "teaches" some component (ECU?) where the bottom of the window is.

If you're getting ice on the inside of the windows to the point that it needs to be scraped off, you're probably leaking somewhere. That shouldn't be happening.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:04 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had frost inside but my windows always freeze. Just try to open and close them while going down the road and they work free.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

None on the inside for me.

Sounds like a window seal is bad.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Racer

i dont get any frost but the windows just dont go down. Its one things that really pisses me off. i have to find a way to fix it.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
If you're getting ice on the inside of the windows to the point that it needs to be scraped off, you're probably leaking somewhere. That shouldn't be happening.
Sorry, but I don't just buy the "leak/seal" argument.Clearly, there is moisture in the car--snow or rain gets in from my boots or umbrella, gets on the carpet, doesn't evaporate, and then freezes on the inside. There's enough moisture already in there that there doesn't need to be a leak to let more in.

Plus, I've had this problem with my last three cars, of different makes, two of which I purchased new, so I don't think that all three had leak issues. I think it has more do with keeping the car outside, my climate (New England), and the kinds of weather patterns we get here that make interior freezing more likely.

Suzie
Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Quattro in.....

The problem of windows freezing to the point where you can't roll down the window, I don't believe is a design fault. It is the weather, if you get water on the windows from rain or waterever and then overnight you get freezing temperatures the water is going to freeze.

I found using something like a credit card or gift card and running it along the bottom of the outside window edge tends to break the ice, and allows the window to function.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ That's a good idea. I bet putting something Rain-X along the bottom of the window would help too. At least it would help the ice unstick from the glass.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Mike D from Ohio

How long after starting the car do you wait before rolling down the windows? I mean, I wouldn't even try to roll them down for sometime after starting the car. Let it warm up for a while.

I warm my car up for like 20 mins or even more when its that cold out. I can't stand the cold. My car is so warm when I get in that the seats are warm without the seat heaters on. But the windows should thaw well before that point.

Sometimes when I first roll them down, I get a loud crack or settling noise from when they initially move, but they still move.

If you need the windows down that soon for ventilation purposes (like if you smoke), then try the sunroof. I don't think it freezes as easily as the windows. That might be a good substitute sometimes. I would also tilt the heat vent toward your driver's window to thaw it faster.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

If you have the allweather mats the driver one lets the water run right onto the floor. Just feel the carpet under it! Check both your run channel and door seal. See if there is any flaws that will let in water. Also check to see if the drains are cloged and put a vacume hose to them. Holla back let me know what you find!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:14 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This doesn't happen to me (04 living in Connecticut) but if it did I don't think I'd care because if it's cold enough for the windows to freeze I probably have the windows up and the heat on anyway...