Whats wrong with the Acura NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010 | 09:55 PM
Instructor

Whats wrong with the Acura NAV?

Is there something wrong with the 2006 NAV? In places of interest or restaurants and it nearly always shows me places in other states?
Example, today I entered McDonald's, it came up with the list of fast food, I hit enter, it then shows me McDonald's restaurants thousands and thousands of miles away in other states!

Anyone with NAV care to chime in please.

Thanks,
Old 08-16-2010 | 08:39 PM
in the 24th and a half...

OK, places of interest, and then by distance or by city? If city, check which city it is defaulting to, because it does NOT load your current city.
Old 08-16-2010 | 09:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
OK, places of interest, and then by distance or by city? If city, check which city it is defaulting to, because it does NOT load your current city.
Places of interest work by distance I believe. Its when I enter points of interest manually it shows me places in different states.
The method you mentioned is the only way to get the NAV to work correctly.
Old 08-17-2010 | 07:17 PM

Ah-hah! You are probably spelling the name wrong or selecting the wrong entry.

Let's say you type in "Joes". Well, all "Joe's" are excluded...

You type "Kohl's" and get confronted with several listings, for example, "Retail", "Department Store", etc...and each entry may show different stores.

The simple fact is the database sucks. The batabase entry technique for locations is as varied as the people entering it. You can search for a chain resturant and find the same chain listed under several sub-headings, based upon who entered them and how the business described themselves.

It's a mess to search by complete name...and you really need to check the sub-headings...
Old 08-17-2010 | 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

^Agree. Database is terrible. Only way around it is to input your location in a certain manner, or in my case, always have the exact address (& sometimes that doesn't even work).

I know some members have said that you can "fix" it by buying the latest Nav. disc.
Old 08-18-2010 | 11:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
^Agree. Database is terrible. Only way around it is to input your location in a certain manner, or in my case, always have the exact address (& sometimes that doesn't even work).

I know some members have said that you can "fix" it by buying the latest Nav. disc.
latest nav disc just has more screwed up data...

I almost always search by sub headings. Searching by name never works
Old 08-19-2010 | 09:05 PM

Actually, the ultimate search method I've found is phone number...almost always works for businesses that are in the database somewhere...but you need a recent disc to be sure.
Old 08-19-2010 | 09:14 PM
Instructor

Actually, the ultimate search method I've found is phone number...almost always works for businesses that are in the database somewhere...but you need a recent disc to be sure.
Well thats how I found the local Humane Society recently, via phone.
When I enter mcdonalds for example I then choose fast food american, it shows me stores thousands of miles away. How can this be correct? I am totally puzzled, I honestly still think I am making a mistake and not using this correctly?
So could someone be kind enough to show me exactly what the most reliable method of locating points of interest or stores etc via proximity ?
Old 08-20-2010 | 09:11 PM

I use the phone number in the NAV as the search option when I know it, works wonders.

I suspect your problem on the stores miles away is the punctuation of your "mcdonalds"...and the way the data base is set.

I dug out my NAV manual and suggest you try the following to check some stuff, and if it still shows places miles away, there might be a bigger problem:

1) Select "Intersection", check that "Florida" is listed as your current state (assuming your profile is correct).

2) Then select "City" and verify it shows your current city. (It's very unlikely these are wrong, but what the hey...)

3) Back to map screen and select "Menu", select "Places", select "Category", select "Fast Food", select "Place Name by Keyword", select "Sort by Distance to Travel", type "MC" and select "List". If that don't find your closest McDonalds, either your disc is too old or your system is screwed up.
Old 08-25-2010 | 09:28 AM
Instructor

I use the phone number in the NAV as the search option when I know it, works wonders.

I suspect your problem on the stores miles away is the punctuation of your "mcdonalds"...and the way the data base is set.

I dug out my NAV manual and suggest you try the following to check some stuff, and if it still shows places miles away, there might be a bigger problem:

1) Select "Intersection", check that "Florida" is listed as your current state (assuming your profile is correct).

2) Then select "City" and verify it shows your current city. (It's very unlikely these are wrong, but what the hey...)

3) Back to map screen and select "Menu", select "Places", select "Category", select "Fast Food", select "Place Name by Keyword", select "Sort by Distance to Travel", type "MC" and select "List". If that don't find your closest McDonalds, either your disc is too old or your system is screwed up.
Thanks for the information. I tried you option 3 and it seems to work, still couldnt find the humane society of tampa ! Although it can find it via phone numbers which I found weird.
Old 08-25-2010 | 08:49 PM

As was noted above, the database is a pile of humane society garbage...if you know what I mean. Once you figure the quirks out, you can usually find what you want, most of the time...

That being said, I still love the big, bright screen of our indash unit...
Old 09-08-2010 | 12:10 PM
Cruisin'

TOM TOM rocks !!
8" big screen is useless
Old 09-08-2010 | 01:59 PM
Instructor

As was noted above, the database is a pile of humane society garbage...if you know what I mean. Once you figure the quirks out, you can usually find what you want, most of the time...

That being said, I still love the big, bright screen of our indash unit...
I wonder if purchasing an updated CD would makes things better? I notice their selling on fleabay for around 50 dollars.
I guess if mine is a white CD then I need the latest white cd? Any issues to look for when changing to a newer database?
Old 09-08-2010 | 08:07 PM

All it does is corrects the daylight savings time issue (if you get a 2008 or later disk) and smooths out stuff...plus adding lots of new streets.

Search still sucky...

Advise against pirated disks...and make sure you know the fleabay one is real...see the thread on the guy screwed because he tried a pirate one.