what the F$%@..wierd problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 PM
MACura TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what the F$%@..wierd problem

Ok so i just posted that intake write up on the fujita i just installed but for some ODD reason my air \ heat does not work at all......what could i have possibly messed with to cause this
Old 02-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Pro

u mean no cold air or hot air?? or no air at all??
Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 PM
MACura TSX

Originally Posted by PWPTSX
u mean no cold air or hot air?? or no air at all??

nothing is coming out of my vents, no floor vents, no defrosters. no auto. NOTHING
Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Not Driving, Just Posting

check your engine bay and see if you disconnected something and then check the fuse panels maybe you popped a fuse during the install
Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM
MACura TSX

ok wtf.....i cant figure out whats wrong . After intake install my air / heat doesnt work or my defrosters. and i just realized today in the rain that my wipers arent working either. someone wtf!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wtf did you check for blown fuses. Did you have any grounds disconnected wtf. Wtf did you leave any connectors unplugged. WTF!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must have blown some fuses. Check them all.

How you could have done that on an intake install is beyond me tho.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Pro

Specifically, I'd double check ground #G302 behind the left side of the front bumper, as it's the main ground point for the wipers, blower motor etc.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
MACura TSX

Originally Posted by poltergeist
Specifically, I'd double check ground #G302 behind the left side of the front bumper, as it's the main ground point for the wipers, blower motor etc.

how would i go about that
Old 02-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Pro

You can either take the bumper off or try and access it through here

Did you remove any bolts in here to install a bracket for the air filter/intake. And BTW putting the intake that low with a straight shot to the engine (no baffling) is very dangerous. It's very easy for the engine to injest water through the intake with catastophic results. Seen it happen many times.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:03 PM
MACura TSX

Did you remove any bolts in here to install a bracket for the air filter/intake. And BTW putting the intake that low with a straight shot to the engine (no baffling) is very dangerous. It's very easy for the engine to injest water through the intake with catastophic results. Seen it happen many times.

what do u mean that low?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Pro

The filter is now just in front of the wheel is it not? Because you now have a straight shot into the throttle body, if you splash or submerge the air filter in water (as in moderately deep puddle) the engine will suck water through the intake tract directly into the cylinders. Because the engine is spinning and water does not compress, something breaks or bends (usually a connecting rod).

Stock air box has baffles to keep water from making it to the engine. Usually see 1-2 Hondas with intakes like that and blown up motors around here during the rainy season...and that's in SoCal.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 PM
MACura TSX

The filter is now just in front of the wheel is it not? Because you now have a straight shot into the throttle body, if you splash or submerge the air filter in water (as in moderately deep puddle) the engine will suck water through the intake tract directly into the cylinders. Because the engine is spinning and water does not compress, something breaks or bends (usually a connecting rod).

Stock air box has baffles to keep water from making it to the engine. Usually see 1-2 Hondas with intakes like that and blown up motors around here during the rainy season...and that's in SoCal.

well i just ordered a hydro shield for it , what else can i do to prevent being beaten by my parents haha
Old 02-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Tormented by mod choices

Wouldn't you have to pretty much submerge your CAI filter in the puddle for this to happen? From what I've read it is pretty darn impossible unless you're driving through two feet of water. Curious to hear under what conditions this happened. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by steeveage
Wouldn't you have to pretty much submerge your CAI filter in the puddle for this to happen? From what I've read it is pretty darn impossible unless you're driving through two feet of water. Curious to hear under what conditions this happened. Thanks.
Virtually every Honda I've seen with a hydraulic'd engine has had an aftermarket intake tube, most often the one's that put the filter in front of the wheel well. Having not been the driver, I can't tell you how deep the water was (and it's always deeper than it "looks"), but most of the time there's no other signs of water damage to the car (interior etc). I'd guess a contributing factor is the fact that the moving car pushes a wall of water up into the wheel wells, behind the bumper etc. If you have the throttle opened a lot (as if you were trying to accel through the puddle thinking you won't get stuck) you can suck a lot of water into the engine in a split second.

YMMV but think about it next time you think you can get across that intersection....

...and by the way 814, did you fix your inop blower/wipers.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

You'll have to go hunting for a good 12-18" of standing water to hydrolock the engine with a CAI. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but with common sense about where you drive (and park!) its 100% avoidable.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steeveage
I remember it was about 12" for a standard height TSX.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Driver/Detailer

He probably took off the ground points, mounted the intake and then replaced the ground on top of the intake's mounting arm or didn't reground it at all.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:21 PM
MACura TSX

...and by the way 814, did you fix your inop blower/wipers.

NO! i was bringing it to a local shop that usually does all my stuff for me but its like a blizzard now and i cant drive 20 mins away with NO wipers or defrosters so hopefully tomorrow ill get this sorted out
Old 02-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Wtf did you check for blown fuses. Did you have any grounds disconnected wtf. Wtf did you leave any connectors unplugged. WTF!
ROFL!! The best post of the year. wtf. Also, the most helpful. wtf. wtf man you know your stuff.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
It may take 12+ inches of standing water to submerge a "CAI" when the car is sitting still--that's a no-brainer. But think about how water might move in and out of the inner fender area when the car is in motion and you drive through ~~6 inches of water.

I've seen a 4 inch puddle splash sufficiently under an Integra that it soaked the distributor cap and stalled the engine. Granted it started up again (though the idle was a bit lumpy for a few minutes), but this illustrates that even though the distributor on the Integra was 2.5 feet off the ground, it doesn't take 2.5 feet of water to soak it.

Never underestimate water and a fast moving 3000+ lb car. If you have one of those low-slung intakes, don't take chances with puddles of standing water.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
I remember it was about 12" for a standard height TSX.
I just went through 4" of water with my Comptech CAI w/ modded K&N filter........ NO ISSUES!!

We have a lot of snow melting and some pretty decent puddles. I wouldn't normally do something like hitting a puddle at 30 mph, but I didn't realize it was that deep. Entire front end got hit with water.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Not Driving, Just Posting

there's a video on the net somewhere of an AEM intake on an NSX where they take the filter and stick it in a fish take to show people what is acceptable amounts of water to go through

i believe that AEM did this to help promote there bypass valve that helps prevent hydrolocking

it's a pretty cool experiment and stupid at the same time.............a damn NSX, they could have used a civic for pete's sake
Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by SeanS627
there's a video on the net somewhere of an AEM intake on an NSX where they take the filter and stick it in a fish take to show people what is acceptable amounts of water to go through

i believe that AEM did this to help promote there bypass valve that helps prevent hydrolocking

it's a pretty cool experiment and stupid at the same time.............a damn NSX, they could have used a civic for pete's sake
That's only if the whole filter is submerged. If they sprayed water onto the AEM intake which was equipped with the bypass valve, and managed to get a total of 314ml of water sucked in, in under 1 combustion cycle for all 6 cylinders, hydrolocking would occur. Of course, 1 combustion cycle is pretty short. But in my opinion, the AEM bypass valve only works when your whole filter is submerged. Splashes would still get into the filter and pass the bypass valve.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 AM
Got Phó?

Did you disco your battery before you installed your intake?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:58 AM
MACura TSX

Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
Did you disco your battery before you installed your intake?

yes i did.

im pretty sure i know what the problem is.

Originally Posted by aaronng
He probably took off the ground points, mounted the intake and then replaced the ground on top of the intake's mounting arm or didn't reground it at all.
i think your right, im on my way to the garage now to get my rotors put on and when its on the lift ill check it out

pics of rotors coming later today
Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 PM
where is my garage?!

might be stupid, but on the topic of hydrolocking, have you heard of anyone with an icebox setup putting hydroshield/drycharger material on the nozzle that pulls in the air as a precautionary measure?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Just dial 1911

In socal? Really....

Its not a problem. Just dont go driving through lakes...
Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM
MACura TSX

Originally Posted by joerockt
In socal? Really....

Its not a problem. Just dont go driving through lakes...

Old 03-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to thread hijack, but relating back to the hydrolocking issue, this morning it was raining like I've never seen before. Consequently, when I was driving into work today, I had to drive through one of the biggest puddles I've ever seen that was the width of the entire road and probably 6" deep (maybe even a little more ). This means it came to just around the bottom of my front bumper.

I wasn't driving too fast (probably around 5-10MPH in 1st), but given the fact that I've got an Icebox coupled with a ~2" drop I'm a little worried about the potential of hydrolocking.

I got to work OK (probably another 2-3 miles from where I hit the puddle) and the car didn't seem to react any differently. However, does anyone know how long it could take for hydrolocking to take effect? I'm nervous that my engine will seize up in a month or so. Also, is there anything I can do to prevent any further adverse effects to my engine beyond what I've already done?

(Oh, and please no "DON'T DRIVE IN PUDDLES" responses......I had no choice since there's only one way to get to my office!)
Old 03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Sorry to thread hijack, but relating back to the hydrolocking issue, this morning it was raining like I've never seen before. Consequently, when I was driving into work today, I had to drive through one of the biggest puddles I've ever seen that was the width of the entire road and probably 6" deep (maybe even a little more ). This means it came to just around the bottom of my front bumper.

I wasn't driving too fast (probably around 5-10MPH in 1st), but given the fact that I've got an Icebox coupled with a ~2" drop I'm a little worried about the potential of hydrolocking.

I got to work OK (probably another 2-3 miles from where I hit the puddle) and the car didn't seem to react any differently. However, does anyone know how long it could take for hydrolocking to take effect? I'm nervous that my engine will seize up in a month or so. Also, is there anything I can do to prevent any further adverse effects to my engine beyond what I've already done?

(Oh, and please no "DON'T DRIVE IN PUDDLES" responses......I had no choice since there's only one way to get to my office!)

Hydro locking is an immediate oh sh^# connecting rod bending experience. Don't worry you're fine.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Racer

hyrdolock is instant.

hydrolock means that water has lock your engine. this means that you have sucked enough water into your combustion chamber to prevent the engine from rotating.

if you hydrolocked your motor you would at a minimum bend a rod, which you would be able to feel and hear in the motor. or the rod would break completely and the motor would probably seize completely.

if the car ran without any major noises or complaints your fine.

just watch the damn puddles. I drove my dropped civic for 4 years with a CAI behind a body kit that had just a mesh grille that you could push a pencil through to prevent anything from going into the filter. I never had one issue with rain or puddles. just don't drive like an asshat in rain and you'll be fine.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
OK, sorry if my post made me sound like a noob (which I suppose I am in most ways) - I certainly do know what hydrolocking means and does to your engine.

Still, I have heard of people who were able to drive their cars no problem for up to a week after hitting a puddle. Then, all of a sudden their engine seized completely, and the cause was water that got into their cylinders (i.e. hydrolocking).
Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Racer

OK, sorry if my post made me sound like a noob (which I suppose I am in most ways) - I certainly do know what hydrolocking means and does to your engine.

Still, I have heard of people who were able to drive their cars no problem for up to a week after hitting a puddle. Then, all of a sudden their engine seized completely, and the cause was water that got into their cylinders (i.e. hydrolocking).
if you hydrolock a motor, you will know right away. it won't just run perfectly fine and then one day just die on you.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Racer

edit: double post