Very sloppy transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those third party warranties are notorious for finding the cheapest possible way to fix things. It's better than nothing of course but for what you pay, it's pretty weak.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
A used transmission isn't a bad thing, per-se, since it'll be fully cleaned out and spec'd before being installed. Basically a new(ish) transmission, with new fluid, and some experienced eyeballs looking at every detail about why it failed, in order to prevent future failure.

I wouldn't be super-happy, just regular-happy, about a used transmission. And yeah unfortunately the warranty company is within their contractual rights to source it as long as its from a donor car with comparable km's and condition.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Those slips brought back memories of my old Integra. I had the biggest problem while downshifting unlike your issue with upshifting. If I had to go from 4th to third I would let my foot off the gas and drop the shifter into 3rd then after it shifted would reapply the gas. I had to do this from 46k miles up until I sold it with 130k...I can't believe the transmission lasted that long with this issue.

Anyway 76k miles is a lot to go without a flush. Even the recommended period is 60k. I usually just do drain and fills every 30k.

Just looking at your video I could tell the transmission was hosed unless there was a code being thrown on something else. As long as the transmission was inspected by Honda prior to installation, you should be good for at least another 70k miles.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, so the transmission is installed and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I still don't know the cause of the transmission fail but I will ask and post it.
I was told that they used my old torque converter with the new transmission. I thought the torque converter was a part inside the transmission?

He also called me to tell me I needed a brake fluid flush ($110 cdn) which I refused to since its a 15 minute job and its much cheaper to do it myself.
I also was told I needed a transmission flush. But if I was getting a used transmission installed under warranty, shouldn't it come clean and flushed? I have to pay $200 for this as "its not covered by my extended warranty". I tried to haggle the guy down to doing it for free since it's all warranty work being done but he wouldn't do it.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Pro

Unless they are reusing the old transmission fluid they would have to put in new fluid. Call them up and ask them if you refuse the transmission change what are they going to use to fill the transmission? If they are reusing the old fluid, you need to go down there and slap someone in the face.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Instructor

They are using new fluid. Well only 3 quarts is able to drain out, so only 3 quarts is put in the new transmission to top it up. They told me the oil is dirty (from the remaining oil in the transmission) and it needs a flush.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by R.Tosh
They are using new fluid. Well only 3 quarts is able to drain out, so only 3 quarts is put in the new transmission to top it up. They told me the oil is dirty (from the remaining oil in the transmission) and it needs a flush.

Ok I gotcha...not sure how the fluid is still in the torque converter and not leaking but I've never taken one apart. With the problems you had with your old transmission that fluid can't be good and I would get it done.Those idiots at the dealer should have added the fee as part of the replacement. I would raise hell with their general manager...who would reuse transmission fluid from a damaged transmission? If you don't get anywhere then pay it because you really should get clean fluid in there, no telling how contaminated it is from the old transmission.

Ask then how they are going to replace the fluid...they should not under any circumstance tell you that they are going to hook a machine up to drain it out. They should be pouring in the new fluid and letting it drain out. I would do
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Instructor

I'm home with it! Its only 5:50am and 1,050kms later lol.
The transmission is seamless now when shifting from park to reverse or drive, there is no lag when shifting through the gears, and finally there is no burning smell after driving it under heavy load (up hills)
I did pay the $220 for the flush and its good knowing I have clean fluid in there.

Earlier on in the thread I was told that when some people had their transmission replaced, that whining sound when accelerating disappeared. That sound is still in my car, but it doesn't concern me. It must be the air intake.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Pro

I'm glad you got it done and have your car back. Just for the future, I would recommend doing a drain and fill every 30k miles. It'll baby you car but I think it's worth it. I would recommend learning how to do this since it isn't very hard to do. Plus you'll be saving a ton of money.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by npolite
I would raise hell with their general manager...who would reuse transmission fluid from a damaged transmission? If you don't get anywhere then pay it because you really should get clean fluid in there, no telling how contaminated it is from the old transmission.
They won't re-use transmission fluid from his original engine. They are suggesting a flush because the used transmission that they are installing will have its transmission fluid still in it.