Trick to removing/installing metal trim around window

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trick to removing/installing metal trim around window

Does anyone know the trick to installing the metal trim around the top of the window? Seems like every car I have tried this on it bends VERY easily. Also, any idea where I could get this replacement part? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

ummm....well I work for an auto glass company in Toronto... my question to you is WHY u want to remove it?.... it will be expensive to replace, and then ull hafto pay to get it put back on...unless u can do it urself...

I could ask a few installers if it can come off and how, if you wud like...but they're gon ask me the same thing...

WHY?!?!?!?!

Even wen we replace broken windows we dont take off that chrome moulding...

BLESS!!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Black tape

Well I had to have the black tape replaced right behind the front window. When I put the tape on I had to remove at least the first little bit of the molding. It bent just slightly and isn't noticeable unless the right light hits it. I thought this would be easy to replace, it just clips on I think? Just wondering how to do it without bending since it seems to bend and "crease" very easily?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjferguson
Well I had to have the black tape replaced right behind the front window. When I put the tape on I had to remove at least the first little bit of the molding. It bent just slightly and isn't noticeable unless the right light hits it. I thought this would be easy to replace, it just clips on I think? Just wondering how to do it without bending since it seems to bend and "crease" very easily?

BLACK TAPE?? hhhhmmm.... let me go look....

Only thing remotely looking like black tape, and Im thinkin Electrical rubber tape, that I think you're talking about is the "Weather stripping" or the window moulding... but other than that Im not too sure wat you're refering to as black tape....

My installer told me that its pretty much impossible to take any chrome mldng off ANY window, without bending or damaging it... they're kind of "put on to stay on" and the only other time u really need to take them off is when theyre damaged and you have to replace them....

I realize Im not being of much help...I apologize, but I'd suggest if anything taking it to a reputable autoglass company in your area and get one of they're techs to do it for u... I wouldnt even go to the dealer...most dealerships just end up calling us, and u pay them more then you would have if you dealt directly with the autoglass company.

...hope I helped in some way!!!

BLESS!!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Black tape

Just an FYI, the black tape I was talking about is the black between the front and rear windows. Look real close, it is just some sort of tape over the metal of the door.