Thousands of tiny orange rust spots on my White TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Thousands of tiny orange rust spots on my White TSX

I know these Acuras have this problem with these orange freaking dots appearing but this is INSANE. I am serious when I say thousands. Usually waxing takes most out of them out.

The problem here is I live in CLEVELAND.....Waxing this time of year is nearly impossible unless you have a WELL HEATED garage (which I obviously don't have)

Seriously....this has to be a paint DEFECT to have this happen all the time.

What has been done, what is being done to solve this horrible problem!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
go to dealer, warranty is in order
Old 02-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Drifting

was it there when you bought it? is it rail yard dust, iron dust? Clay bar it, should come off with ease, and should remain off.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Before you blame Acura, make sure you know what it is! those orange spots are not rust! Use claybar to remove it.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

This is why you should always detail, even a brand new car.

Dealer hardly does a detail, all they do is wash it and throw one coat of wax on it.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I'd like to see some pics. Are you sure they are rust spots?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Racer

Acura is Claiming "rail dust"

So yes I have to clay bar it.

I'll never buy a white acura again that is for sure. I've NEVER had a white car have this problem with "rail dust". I DONT LIVE BY ANY RAILROADS.....LOL. I mean basically it has to be breakdust which is ABSURD.....I have never seen this on any of the hundreds of cars my family has owned....

I am a freak about my car.....it has only been about 5 weeks since my last full detail and waxing and now I have THOUSANDS of these spots!!!

Usually my car is waxed about every 4-6weeks....so this is not from a lack of care.....its more like the white acura paint is prone to this issue.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Racer

The are TINY ORANGE SPOTS....i cannot feel them with my fingernail.....its like they are under the clearcoat...

The Proneness to this problem has to be some sort of defect in the paint...

Why do I not see this on any other white car that my friends own....and trust me they NEVER EVER wax their car......

Hell washing it to them is running it through a $10 auto wash.....and they do not have this issue.....
Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Racer

How do I post pictures? I have them for you
Old 02-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Rebourne

Originally Posted by bgillette

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24736
Old 02-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Acura is Claiming "rail dust"

So yes I have to clay bar it.

I'll never buy a white acura again that is for sure. I've NEVER had a white car have this problem with "rail dust". I DONT LIVE BY ANY RAILROADS.....LOL.

Sir, the rail dust is from when the car was assembled then transported to your dealer. Its a long way from Japan you know.

You HAVE to clay to get these out. Its VERY common on most cars that are made overseas. If you getting details and they arent using a clay bar then i wouldnt call that a full detail. IMO
Racer

Wow you are funny guy.

If anyone wants to see the pictures and you use AOL IM or YAHOO IM

Just let me know and we can do it direct connect. I dont have time to do all that uploading and stuff....

aol is bgilly jcu
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use www.imageshack.us there's instruction on that site to help you post pics on forum
Old 02-19-2007, 12:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
My PWP has/had some but they usually come off with a good detail. I don't think its anything to be worried about.

Or is it?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Racer

I wonder if people with Silver or Carbon Grey have this probelm?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

They do but they arent as noticeable with those colors.

Its really not a problem. Waxing it wont fix it since you are just covering up the spots.

What dont you get? The car came with those spots from it being transported on a train. Its on the surface of the clear coat and needs to be clayed to get out fully. This is nothing new in the detailing world.

If you think we lying then ask http://autopia.org/forum

I would hate to be your dealer.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Every cars that I owned has this orange spots everywhere just because it is more easy to bring up on white! Only claybar can fix this, wax won't.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...ight=rail+dust
I bet it looks like that?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:31 PM
my acura sanctuary

I know these Acuras have this problem with these orange freaking dots appearing but this is INSANE. I am serious when I say thousands. Usually waxing takes most out of them out.

The problem here is I live in CLEVELAND.....Waxing this time of year is nearly impossible unless you have a WELL HEATED garage (which I obviously don't have)

Seriously....this has to be a paint DEFECT to have this happen all the time.

What has been done, what is being done to solve this horrible problem!!!!
bgillette. This is DEFINITELY NOT an an Acura problem. It is an environmental problem. I would bet that you are seeing "fallout", "rail dust", etc. Rust does not seep through paint. you would have to get down to the metal to get rust. I had a white Mazda for nearly 10 yrs which I parked outside for 5 years in SF and I know the orange dots well. I wasn't into clay barring then (nor now) but that would probably take off 80% of the dots. Getting it professionally detailed to remove the fallout was my approach.... they used some commercial strenght stuff ( maybe crystal wash) to remove it. The best defense is to not park outside (I know that is not possible for most in metro areas) and to wax well and often. White paint has its pros and cons, you just experienced a "con".

EDIT: obviously fallout is not specific to particular colors. So all colors have the deposits. It is really a matter of NOTICING the small spots. White is the perfect background for noticing this. a lot of folks don't see it because their area does not have as much fallout, and/or park indoors both at work and at home. I have a silver tsx and do not "see" it....I do park outside during the day in a commercial area but do garage it at home.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My silver one doesn't have this problem, and honestly I haven't heard of anyone else on here talking about orange spots (except Dom just above).
Old 02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Neither does my CG '04 and it has been parked outside every day since it was purchased and I live pretty close to an ocean. I think I would see the spots from the sea spray or sea mist in the air if not anything else.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Advanced

i can think of 5 white acuras that my friends and family have owned in the past 4 years and have no idea what you are talking about, besides the obvious fact that it is not rust since there is still paint on your car, you should check the autopia.com forums like someone said above. this is not acuras problem and it is just the conditions that your car is exposed to, if you want to change that than move to kansas city, ive never seen these so called rust spots on any cars in kansas city
Old 02-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a PWP TSX and had the same problem. Claybar took it out NO PROBLEM, and it hasn't really come back at all. This was 1.5 years ago.

Don't get all up in arms about it -- just go buy a clay bar kit, then follow its instructions. I'd highly recommend doing this in the spring when its a bit warmer, and when the salt/brine on the roads won't ruin your nice new finish.

Also when claying it is IMPERATIVE (that means absolutely important) that you wax afterwards, as the clay will strip any wax that you have on there before you clayed.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Australia, cars are not transported by rail. We get them from the port by ship, and transported by road trains (those huge trucks that carry many cars at once). So we don't have the same problem of rail dust. But any good dealer should have sent the car out to be detailed before delivery. And even over here, not every dealer does that.
Don't blame Acura. Get a claybar, learn how to use it and just get the spots off. Wax after that and that should be the end of your problem for the next few years.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Instructor

These orange spots look like "rust" spots but they are not........ you can gently scratch them off which means they are not.. if it was rust then ur paint should come off with it... just clay bar your car.. everything shows up easier on a white car.. maybe you shouldnt buy a white car anymore.... silver and gray would be the best since they are neutral colors and dirty/orange spots doesnt tend to show so much on those cars....
Old 02-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Wow, there's a lot of bad information going around here. If you don't have a white TSX, don't bother chiming in that you don't have spots.

The spots are pieces of crap getting embedded into the clear coat. As explained above, it can be rust from other cars, etc etc., NOT from your car. Get a clay bar, do your car (it takes a lot of time, but its worth it), and then come back and complain if it didn't work... instead of telling people who know what they're talking about that they are wrong.

Clay barring is the cost of owning the most beautiful TSX color, PWP
Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Depending on how bad it is, a clay bar is NOT the total solution (at least not the easy one). You need to use a decontaminate like AutoInt's ABC Wash system:

http://autoint.com/autostore/pc/view...?idproduct=212

I've used this on several white cars before with this problem. After the "B" step, the clay bar removes the rust much easier.

Oh, and its NOT a paint defect. Its caused by:

A) Living in Cleveland
B) Improper detailing. Throwing a coat of wax on now and then dosent cut it.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
Wow, there's a lot of bad information going around here. If you don't have a white TSX, don't bother chiming in that you don't have spots.

The spots are pieces of crap getting embedded into the clear coat. As explained above, it can be rust from other cars, etc etc., NOT from your car. Get a clay bar, do your car (it takes a lot of time, but its worth it), and then come back and complain if it didn't work... instead of telling people who know what they're talking about that they are wrong.

Clay barring is the cost of owning the most beautiful TSX color, PWP
LOL! Fallout rust spots occurs to ALL colours. Not only on your beautiful white.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Racer

i have a PWP, and I've had those spots living in Chicago, but not to the extent that is described here. After a detail last year, they were all gone. Some came back, but I tackled it with some Meguiar's cleaner wax whenever I saw some spots in any section. I'm sure I've got some now, but I'll probably get another detail in April or May
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Jeff-hoes

Originally Posted by subdued
bgillette. This is DEFINITELY NOT an an Acura problem. It is an environmental problem. I would bet that you are seeing "fallout", "rail dust", etc. Rust does not seep through paint. you would have to get down to the metal to get rust. I had a white Mazda for nearly 10 yrs which I parked outside for 5 years in SF and I know the orange dots well. I wasn't into clay barring then (nor now) but that would probably take off 80% of the dots. Getting it professionally detailed to remove the fallout was my approach.... they used some commercial strenght stuff ( maybe crystal wash) to remove it. The best defense is to not park outside (I know that is not possible for most in metro areas) and to wax well and often. White paint has its pros and cons, you just experienced a "con".

EDIT: obviously fallout is not specific to particular colors. So all colors have the deposits. It is really a matter of NOTICING the small spots. White is the perfect background for noticing this. a lot of folks don't see it because their area does not have as much fallout, and/or park indoors both at work and at home. I have a silver tsx and do not "see" it....I do park outside during the day in a commercial area but do garage it at home.
100% correct.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
06 PWP TSX Navi 6MT

I also own a PWP TSX. I noticed those orange spots (rail dust) a couple of times. However, I don't really worry about those spots because they are not rust, they are just spots. These is very common with the white cars, other paint colors get them as well, they just don't stand out compare with the white paints. Trust me PWP is a very nice color but it's very high maintenace.

You can remove and prevent them if you wash your car regularly and dry the car right away using a chamois leather. Your other option is to use a claybar if they are very hard to remove. I wash my car regularly using a chamois leather and I never get those problems anymore.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

my 01 integra has it
my dads 03 sienna has it
my neighbors 2004 mazda van has it

its absolutely normal on white cars. go look at other white cars, youll see them also
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM
East Coast Crew

Old 02-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by pnoylicious
I also own a PWP TSX. I noticed those orange spots (rail dust) a couple of times. However, I don't really worry about those spots because they are not rust, they are just spots. These is very common with the white cars, other paint colors get them as well, they just don't stand out compare with the white paints. Trust me PWP is a very nice color but it's very high maintenace.

You can remove and prevent them if you wash your car regularly and dry the car right away using a chamois leather. Your other option is to use a claybar if they are very hard to remove. I wash my car regularly using a chamois leather and I never get those problems anymore.
Its rust, bro.

But its not your paint. Tiny pieces of metal get stuck in the clear coat. If they're not removed by claying, over time they will rust like any othter metal.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had this. I even posted this pic asking questions about 2 years ago but I can't find the thread.

It is rail dust most likely picked up from when the TSX was shipped or maybe from the environment where you live. If not washed off it will rust after a time. Some waxes, like NXT for instanced, have light polishing qualities and will remove the rail dust, but maybe not all of it. Your best bet is to use a claybar. Once rusted the dust is more difficult to remove and will embed itself in the topmost layer of the clearcoat. Mine didn't want to come off with a wash but a few passes with a claybar took it right out. Make sure you wax after using the claybar as the claybar will remove all wax and leave the surface without protection.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear

spots

I also have a white TSX and live in a cold climate. I get the orange spots every winter. They are easily removed with a good quality cleaner wax.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Instructor

PWP here, never had those spots but agree that it's a chore to keep PWP clean. I've been using Collenite Insulator Wax after a polish and wax. I wait a day or so after the wax, I use Meguiars, and this stuff is amazing. I last used it in late November and the water still beads like crazy. Give it a try, it's good stuff. I got it at Advanced auto for $12.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

Rail Dust

I just remembered, I was told by my local Acura dealer, that all Acura's are shipped in enclosed containers. I know you can't believe a word salesmen/women say but I have seen cars being delivered there in trucks fully enclosed. If they are shipped in enclosed containers by rail, I guess it can't be rail dust and if it was it would not reappear every winter.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I have it when I first received my car, but after clay bar it a few times and a fully detail, my car are "orange-spot-free" now, even in winter.

I've also found those "orange-spot" on...
- My friend's Audi A3 3.2 - Pearl White
- My friend's Lexus IS250 - Pearl White
- and My uncles's Acura TL - Pearl White

What I found is, PURE WHITE color does not has this problem,
- My colleage's 2007 BMW 325i - Pure White
- My colleage's Infiniti G35 - Pure White

Maybe the Pearl White is easier to collect/attract rail dust or other shxt on the road?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Advanced

It is rail dust, clay bar help but there is a better solution "industrial fallout remover" Should be able to get from a auto supply place with chemicals. What I do as a professional detailer is wash it, use a California water blade to take off excess water, put some of this remover in a bucket and throw on some dishwashing gloves and uses a wool mitt to apply it on the car, between coats letting it somewhat dry then going over it again doing this about 3 times depending on severity of problem, then wash it down good with soap, then clay it down and then go to town with a good glaze and buffer at 1800rpm and polishing foam pad working it thoroughly then a good wax job by had or machine and you should be set.

i just did this to my grand cherokee and it looked horrible when I got it now its nice and bright and almost new.