Terrible noise from engine bay when releasing clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoping this dosn't lead to this:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26647
Old 06-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I have a thought here....tell me what you guys think:

So I'm going in for service this coming Monday for my 110,000 mile service and I have never changed the MTF because the service manual states to not change it until the 120,000 mark.

If I have them change it and it comes out looking like tar, could this be the reason that the clutch is failing? If so I may have to give a call to Acura Consumer Relations (is that it) and ask them to cover part if not all of the clutch cost.

Thoughts?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Advanced

same problem here on my 2005.
it happens so rarily and its unreproducable on command, so i can't show it to the mechanic.

it used to happen more in the winter, but in the summer, its very rare. but it still happens.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

SSN, if you want...I could take a listen of your car and let you know if it is the same sound.

My car had less than 30K on it when this happened.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
I have a thought here....tell me what you guys think:

So I'm going in for service this coming Monday for my 110,000 mile service and I have never changed the MTF because the service manual states to not change it until the 120,000 mark.

If I have them change it and it comes out looking like tar, could this be the reason that the clutch is failing? If so I may have to give a call to Acura Consumer Relations (is that it) and ask them to cover part if not all of the clutch cost.

Thoughts?
Are you doing service intervals under the "Normal Conditions"?

I had my MTF changed at 60,000 miles because that's what it said in the manual under the "Sever Conditions" criteria.

I too have this noise when releasing the clutch...somewhat of a chattering noise/metal slipping.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
Are you doing service intervals under the "Normal Conditions"?

I had my MTF changed at 60,000 miles because that's what it said in the manual under the "Sever Conditions" criteria.

I too have this noise when releasing the clutch...somewhat of a chattering noise/metal slipping.
I am doing them under normal conditions because 95% of my driving is highway with almost no stop and go, not many hills, really nothing that hurts or stresses the engine.

Your description of the sound is pretty much spot on to what I have. I need to look more into this before I drop $1200 on a new clutch.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Instructor

my car only has 23K and it does it at random aswell. It does it like everyday almost now, but only in first gear of course, and hard to replicate , unless on a steep incline, which is nowhere around the dealer. So they never hear it, when it's occuring.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Redfish
I brought the car in this past Wednesday. The throw-out bearing was rusted & worn. This led to the 'not' smooth release of the clutch and the chattering/noise on the output shaft.

They replaced everything in the clutch assembly. Clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, flywheel, etc & re-aligned it (again).

They covered everything under warranty. The clutch release is much smoother than it was before. I have always had a difficulty releasing the clutch smoothly...I just thought it was my driving style and some interference with the VSA or DBW. Guess not.

However, now I hear a faint whine from the engine bay...might just be the new bearing, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. Same with the alignment, not sure if it's 100% straight. Few days back on the road will tell...
Thanks for the update. I've had the same problem with my '05 TSX since week 1 and just let it go 'til now. I'm taking it in next week for the 10k service and to have this looked at. Now I have some info for them to go on...

And excuse my ignorance, but what does MTF stand for?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tdh1
Thanks for the update. I've had the same problem with my '05 TSX since week 1 and just let it go 'til now. I'm taking it in next week for the 10k service and to have this looked at. Now I have some info for them to go on...

And excuse my ignorance, but what does MTF stand for?
Manual Transmission Fluid

BTW guys/gals, ever since it has gotten warmer here and I've changed my MTF (using OEM Honda MTF), I have yet to experience the noise again. Wonder if the friction material is leaving deposits?? Sort of like what happens on our 04's with OEM brake pads. Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Just dial 1911

I just ordered the Amsoil MTF...Hopefully it will get here before the weekend...
Old 06-28-2006, 05:37 PM
5th Gear

I've had this ongoing problem with my '04 MT - Clutch creaking or squeaking, but more of a muted squeak. The cause may be an inadequately lubricated linkage between the pedal and the clutch master cylinder. Just lubricating the linkage with appropriate grease should take care of the problem. The dealership may want to "replace the master cylinder", although that is not fully necessary. Hope this helps. Credit for this solution goes to CURLS from Ottawa - thanks!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

^^This is a different noise than that. It sounds like the pressure plate and flywheel are not making good contact.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Today I noticed a very benign chirp-chirp-chirp sound as I gently slipped the clutch in 1st gear whilst maneuvering around within a parking deck. It sounded like a release bearing to me. This is alarming because it could indicate problems are lurking down the road. The noise seems to be highly variable. It made no such noise on the way home. If I hadn't had the window open, I would not have noticed it in the first place.

I've heard release bearings on other cars "sing" when the pedal is released and the fingers on the pressure plate are gently riding on the bearing, but this is a completely different set of physical circumstances. I'll add this to my punch list of weird and/or broken stuff when I take the car to the dealer.

Though I was optimistic but critical at first, I'm beginning to think there was a Japanese technician with a hangover that touched my car on the assembly line. That would be my luck. I buy one of the most reliable cars on the planet--and I'm stuck with the statistic.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Just dial 1911

Guys, I've got a question...

Im going to take my TSX in within the next couple of weeks to get this noise checked out. It seems to be happening more often then not. I can almost reproduce it at will. All I need to do is give're gas and come up on the clutch slow and steady, and theirs the noise.

Now, my question is, what do I do if they tell me the clutch is worn out? I've never had a car where the clutch failed on me, so I dont know what the symptoms would be. Knowing this info, I will be able to fight the "well, your clutch is shot, you need a new one" response.

Only reason I'm paranoid about this is because of the mods. Of course, nothing is modded on the drivetrain, so they really wouldnt have a leg to stand on with regards to that.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Where did my garage go?

My TSX (2004 MT) doesn't do this. my old Accord, however, did. After 80,000 miles on the odo, it started making that noise from a stop, especially going up-hill. I had several dealerships and AAMCO look at the clutch, pressure plate, clutch master cylinder, etc -- no leaks, no wear & tear, no evidence that anything was wrong. The accord went on for 260,000 miles and never slipped. So.... maybe it's just that one-in-100,000 Hondas have a noisy clutch.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Well, I think I've come to terms with having to replace the clutch assembly on my own dime, unless someone can talk me out of it

The sound has gotten progressively more annoying and I'm worried that leaving it may do more harm later down the line. I wish I had good news, but I can't seem to isolate it to any type of lubrication issue. Any more ideas before I drop $1200?

It got me thinking though; does anyone offer an aftermarket clutch kit yet? I know Comptech has a flywheel, but I don't see anything concerning a complete kit.

Just a thought.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Nikonian

I am having this issue. The sound is very faint and like everyone else mentioned, it happens on first gear. The car is about two weeks old by the way.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Oh well it's

Join the club ^^^
Old 10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Nikonian

Dang. With the frequency of this occurrence I'm beginning to think it's normal. Is it?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by cheese
Dang. With the frequency of this occurrence I'm beginning to think it's normal. Is it?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by joerockt

Im going to take my TSX in within the next couple of weeks to get this noise checked out. It seems to be happening more often then not. I can almost reproduce it at will. All I need to do is give're gas and come up on the clutch slow and steady, and theirs the noise.

Now, my question is, what do I do if they tell me the clutch is worn out? I've never had a car where the clutch failed on me, so I dont know what the symptoms would be. Knowing this info, I will be able to fight the "well, your clutch is shot, you need a new one" response.

Only reason I'm paranoid about this is because of the mods. Of course, nothing is modded on the drivetrain, so they really wouldnt have a leg to stand on with regards to that.
So can anyone answer this question I posed several months ago? I'm bringing it in on Wednesday...
Old 11-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Instructor

I am reposting my post from another thred here, as this seems to be the right place for this discussion:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a similar issue. When I rev up the engine and let go of the gas and press the clutch, I hear a noise.

Did you get it checked? What was the problem? I suspect it's the throwout bearing.

I think I had this problem after I accidently switched from 3rd into 2nd intead of into 4th and my RPMs went into 8,000s just before I pressed the clutch again This was while going about 70 MPH, by the way. That's what I get for trying to show off...

Another side effect is that the idle is more rough (or so it seems) and when I press the clutch in idle it makes quiet noise.

Sucks to have a clutch problem on such a great car
Old 11-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Instructor

After doing some research, I am now certain that the throwout (release) bearing is bad.

I may as well install a stage 1 clutch kit with a lightweight flywheel.

Any suggestions on a clutch/flywheel setup?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Worn clutches slip. So if you are on a hill and start in 1st and quickly go to 2nd, the engine should start to spool up without getting any speed. I PM'd you, but here is what I think it could be:

Flywheel is glazed
Pressure Plate spring to clutch disc has failed
The clutch disc is worn

Given Honda's run of terrible friction materials (e.g. our 2004 brake pads leaving behind material on our discs), I wonder if the same issue is happening with the friction material on the clutch disc.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Just dial 1911

Ok, well I took my car in this morning. Had a tech ride along, who was really cool. In fact, it was the same guy that rode along when I wanted to find out about the "jerking" issues the car has when slightly coming off an on the throttle...

Anyway, I was able to duplicate the problem in the parking lot. We drove around some more and he took over driving and he was able to duplicate it as well. He said that its probably not the throwout bearing, but he couldn't be too sure. He also said that sometimes dust gets caught in the clutch assembly and that could be causing the problem as well. He also mentioned that he has seen the rusted throwout bearing before, so its not that uncommon.

Bottom line, their going to replace the entire clutch assembly under warranty as well as the flywheel. So right now, I'm waiting for a call from them because they need to get approval from the district service manager before they do the work. They said they dont normally do this because they consider it a wear item, but since I only have 21000 miles, they will make an exception. I hope the DSM feels the same way, otherwise I'm in for a little battle. I would find it odd if he denies it because both the service manager and the technician agreed this is what needs to be done, under warranty.

So, for those of you that have this problem, and are still at pretty low mileage, take it in asap.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Sounds like you're good Joe...hopefully the DSM is in agreement. I guarantee you will notice a difference after the change in parts.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Just dial 1911

Sounds like you're good Joe...hopefully the DSM is in agreement. I guarantee you will notice a difference after the change in parts.
Well, the DSM called back and told them they need to break it down and take a look first. I'm fine with that. The tech was pretty confident that it wasnt driver induced.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Just dial 1911

Update for those who care

The broke the clutch assembly down an said their was very little lube left on the bearings and several hot spots on the pressure plate (I'm completley paraphrasing, I'll try and post the service sheet when I get it). That might explain why its intermittent. So, their still waiting on the DSM to call them back so they can start the rebuild. They called him yesterday afternoon, so I dont know why its taking this guy so long to get back to them. But its all going to be replaced under warranty. Should be able to get it back this afternoon...

In the mean time, I have a loner TL...All I have to say is that I want my TSX back
Old 11-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

The broke the clutch assembly down an said their was very little lube left on the bearings and several hot spots on the pressure plate (I'm completley paraphrasing, I'll try and post the service sheet when I get it). That might explain why its intermittent. So, their still waiting on the DSM to call them back so they can start the rebuild. They called him yesterday afternoon, so I dont know why its taking this guy so long to get back to them. But its all going to be replaced under warranty. Should be able to get it back this afternoon...

In the mean time, I have a loner TL...All I have to say is that I want my TSX back
Wow!!! sounds like our 6MT are having some heat dissipation issues. All of those things sound like its it. I knew there has to be something going on with the pressure plate b/c that is the only object in there that could resonate a sound like that. You could be the evidence we all need.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by moda_way
Wow!!! sounds like our 6MT are having some heat dissipation issues. All of those things sound like its it. I knew there has to be something going on with the pressure plate b/c that is the only object in there that could resonate a sound like that. You could be the evidence we all need.
Interesting. It should be ready this afternoon so I'll try and get as much info as I can. However, if all their doing is just replacing parts, that has me a bit concerned because what's to prevent this from happening again? Obviously its not a driver issue, otherwise they would have mentioned something and they didnt say that this was a "good faith" warranty repair. Maybe I should try to force a 100K mile warranty on the clutch? I'll find out more when I talk with them...

The DSM finally did call and gave the to take care of it.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Advanced

I haven't posted in here in a while, but I was experiencing the same problem as a lot of you have. I was pretty sure that the noise is the throw bearing in the clutch, and I took my car ('04 TSX 6MT - 61,000 miles) into the local NC Acura dealership.

Even though I was out of warranty, they are replacing that bearing for me (they thanked me for my guess as to what the problem was), and are doing so 'under warranty'. I am also paying for a new clutch and pressure plate, and they will be taking care of the labor costs for that for me as well, since the transmission will already be torn apart.

So, all-in-all, not too bad of a fix... 2 1/2 years of ownership, and 61,000 miles later, and the only problem I've had is costing me $390. I'll take that... Still love the car. (I also have a TL loaner, and I can't wait for my TSX back as well!)
Old 11-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

-

Hola, desde españa tengo un honda accord (tsx) es igual que el vuestro y tambien hace este ruido, encontre un video que suena igual,

el video, que casualidad que es el embrague de la honda cbr 600f4....

http://www.tecnun.es/labcad/Mechanic...s/IMGP1663.AVI
Old 11-24-2006, 11:45 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I have not noticed this at all on my TSX, but just to be clear on what I'm listening for in case I ever do encounter it, it's a whine/squeal noise when engaging first gear in a normal fashion, right?

Thanks, guys.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skiper
Hola, desde españa tengo un honda accord (tsx) es igual que el vuestro y tambien hace este ruido, encontre un video que suena igual,

el video, que casualidad que es el embrague de la honda cbr 600f4....

Hello, from Spain I have a sling accord (tsx) is just as yours and also it makes east noise, encontre a video that sounds equal, the video, that chance that is the clutch of the honda cbr 600f4…. (moto)

http://www.tecnun.es/labcad/Mechani...os/IMGP1663.AVI
Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

Same Problems with Clutch Slipping Noise - 2004 TSX - 6SP

I live in California, and am having the same problems with the clutch slipping noise. I have been documenting it since 34K miles. Each time I take it into the delaer though, they are unable to duplicate it. It does happen mostly under load in my mind, and I am not sure if it correlates with the A/C being on or not.

Other probems that may be related are that my A/C compressor clutch mechanism was completely fried in the heat of the summer this year, and now my VSA light is coming on with the cold. The A/C compressor was replaced under warranty, but the VSA light has not been able to be duplicated either. If anybody can figure this out, that would help.

Not sure if it would be beneficial to compare VIN numbers and see if the problem is attributable to a specific manufacturing site and time frame. At least that way we might be able to get acura to pay for repairs.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Mine did it with the AC off.

Skiper, welcome. Your link doesn't work for me.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 AM
Intermediate

Mine did it with the AC off.

Skiper, welcome. Your link doesn't work for me.
ok, link

Old 12-22-2006, 03:58 PM
5th Gear

Warranty Covered T.O. Bearing Noise

My Acura dealership in Colorado Springs relaced the clutch assembly under warranty for this t.o. bearing noise. I'm at 35,000 mi and have head this noise since about 10,000 mi.. The dealership has tried other ways to cure the noise, but nothing seemed to get it and it got much worse. Thanks to the recent postings on this topic, they quickly agreed that the t.o. bearing was the culprit. I had a leaking main shaft and left axle seal that were replaced along with the t.o. bearing and clutch assembly with flywheel. No more squeak/creak-ing in 1st! That noise was quite an embarrassment on an otherwise great sports sedan.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Nice, you will also notice the clutch release in 1st is smoother...
Old 06-04-2008, 03:55 PM
10th Gear

Hello everyone, I purchased an 04 tsx with 86,000 km on it from an Acura dealer in Toronto about two weeks ago. For about a week the car was just fine. After the first week the car started to make that belt slipping noise only while engaging first gear. I would notice it was louder when engaging 1st gear while on a hill though. Anyhow, my car has been at the dealer for three days and they have replaced the whole clutch assembly. The service rep said there was wear on the friction plate. There has to be some sort of defect with one or many of the clutch components as the advisor said although there was wear, it didnt seem like abnormal wear and they were surprised it was making such a noise. If anyone is having a hard time replicating the sound try this: Put your e-brake up, put car in 1st gear, then slowly give gas while letting off the clutch. The tech did this when we went for an initial test drive and the sound was even more pronounced. He even shifted to second gear and it still made the noise. Just remember if not to give it to much gas while the e-brake is on. I'm glad everything is fine now, hope this helps.