Terrible noise from engine bay when releasing clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrible noise from engine bay when releasing clutch!

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed a terrible noise coming from the engine bay when I release the clutch into 1st gear. It almost sounds like a belt is slipping, but I think it more related to the clutch or bearing.

I did some searching, but did not see any similar issues on the forum.

Any one else have this type of issue?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you mean it only happens in 1st gear?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

It seems to only do it from a standstill or slow rolling start, when you are balancing the gas & clutch release for engagement.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear

terrible sound

I had the same problem. When the clutch would start engaging in first gear there would be a metallic grind/squeal coming from the engine area. I took it in to my dealer and they took apart my transmission and said that there was no evidence as to why that type of sound would come from the clutch, all parts were fine, no evidence of abnormal wear. They luckly replaced my whole clutch assembly for free under warranty. I got my car back and it still kinda makes the sound but it is so quiet you have to really listen for it so im not going to worry about it.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^ They took apart your transmission for the clutch squealing problem?
Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this same sound too...But its so intermittent and I havent heard of anyone else having yet, until now...

Its very hard to duplicate. It mostly seems to happen within a few miles of startup...
Old 04-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I've noticed the same issue and also brought it up to the dealer. They did an inspection of the clutch and the tranny and couldn't reproduce it.

I'm interested if anyone has a resolution for this one....
Old 04-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by Redfish
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed a terrible noise coming from the engine bay when I release the clutch into 1st gear. It almost sounds like a belt is slipping, but I think it more related to the clutch or bearing.

I did some searching, but did not see any similar issues on the forum.

Any one else have this type of issue?

Where in CT are you at? What dealer did you go to? We might be able to tag team this one. I went to Schaller in Manchester and no dice
Old 04-09-2006, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah they took apart the transmission. They said they could not reproduce the sound so I drove the car with the manager in the car and I reproduced it. I guess they didnt have to take it apart and replace the clutch but they did.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the sound too and it happens from a standstill. Sounds like the clutch is slipping really bad. I think it is on the clutch or flywheel side, but one of them has been glazed by the clutch material. I think a clutch replacement is the only way to resolve. I just plan on changing my clutch out when it is time and dealing with it for now.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Racer

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM...., ON MY 05' 6SPD. WITH 12,500 MILES WHEN I AM AT A STANDSTILL, AND RIGHT AFTRER I FULLY RELAEASE THE CLUTCH IN FIRST GEAR. IT MAKES A LIGHT SOUNDING CLUNKING NOISE THAT CAN ONLY BE HEARD IF EVERYTHING IS OFF. I HAVE ONLY HEARD THIS SOUND WHEN MY ENGINE IS COLD...., DIRECTLY AFTER FIRST STARING MY CAR AND LETING IT WARM UP A BIT. MY CLUTCH ALSO SLIPS SOMETIMES WHEN MY CAR IS COLD AND..., WHEN IT IS ALSO MORE COLD OUT SIDE..., ( OVER THE WINTER IT WAS ALOT MORE FREQUENT) GETTING A CHECK UP TODAY ACTUALLY, AND I ASKED THEM TO CHECK ON IT. I'LL LET EVERYONE KNOW..., ONCE i KNOW WHATS UP. I DO KNOW ONE THING THOUGH....,IT WILL BE ADDRESSED AND TAKEN CARE OF BEFORE MY WARRANTY IS UP.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Banned

Yeah, I brought my car in and I explained to the service dept that I had that issue. Of course they had found nothing wrong and cannot reproduce the the sound, but they did replace my tranny fluids and I had not heard the sound ever since this morning. But just like what joerockt said:
Originally Posted by joerockt
But its so intermittent and I havent heard of anyone else having yet, until now...

Its very hard to duplicate. It mostly seems to happen within a few miles of startup...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSX6one9
Yeah, I brought my car in and I explained to the service dept that I had that issue. Of course they had found nothing wrong and cannot reproduce the the sound, but they did replace my tranny fluids and I had not heard the sound ever since this morning. But just like what joerockt said:
I'll be replacing mine soon and I can replicate the sound whenever I pull out of my driveway. We'll see if this takes care of it. Thanks!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Racer

yah...., just got word from my mechanic......, they couldnt find anything wrong.., nor could they replicate the noise. But they did replace my train fluid...., and examined the old fluid to see if there was anything in it like metal shavings......, and nothing turned up......, so they said drive it and if it still making the noise then they said to just bring it back in...., so we'll see??????
Old 04-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Thanks for the posts. Sounds like there are more than a few people experiencing this issue. This started to happen since the last oil change, so I haven't brought it up to the dealer yet. I need to schedule an appointment soon. I want it documented, so if there is ever an issue in the future, it will be covered.

Hmmm..."could not replicate the noise". Everytime we bring my girlfriend's RSX in for the grinding issue, that's the answer we get.

SSN_FT1(SS/DV), I'm right in Newington...and usually go to Morande. You got any mods?!?!?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

No crap! Nope...I go to Schaller...bought the car at Morande, but the service sucked so bad that I switched.

I've got:

lip spolier
35% tint
Comptech RSB
Injen CAI
Yoko Avid v4s
OEM Foglights w/ yellow bulbs
and most importantly HONDATA

BTW...I'm Black on Black

May I have seen you around?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Racer

I had the same issue....they replaced my clutch and now its gone. The noise can duplicated on an incline. When you stress the plate thats when you'll hear it. It had to do with the bearings from what the tech said.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Was that warranty work? If not how much did it set you back?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:06 AM
my acura sanctuary

^^up 2^^
Bearings get replaced when a clutch is replaced, correct?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pedalbikeplus
^^up 2^^
Bearings get replaced when a clutch is replaced, correct?
You mean the throw out bearing?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Thanks guys. I need to have my oil changed soon, I will bring up this issue and see what they say.

Typical clutch setup has a throw-out bearing & pilot bearing. Not sure how the newer Hondas are set up, can't be much different.

SSN, we should do some comparos, I don't have the Hondata. I have a Gtech Pro RR though!

I'm 2004 Carbon Gray with Tint, Slotted Rotors, Comptech RSB, BFGs, Stock Fogs, TB Bypass mod, K&N Drop-in.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

If you want a video comparo...this is the video that LannyM and I did...HONDATA is using it now. LannyM is bone stock and I had just gotten HONDATA two weeks prior.

HONDATA comparo website

Lance is in New Britain, so it looks like we have a few guys from the Hartford area now
Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Redfish
Typical clutch setup has a throw-out bearing & pilot bearing. Not sure how the newer Hondas are set up, can't be much different.
You had me thinking, so I just looked it up in the parts catalog and we have a "Clutch Release Bearing", an assoicated guide to that bearing, and then the clutch fork.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

I brought the TSX to the dealer the other day and told them about the issue. They had not heard of any TSX's with this symptom. They also could not replicate the noise.

So, when I went to pick it up, I took the guy for a drive. At first, I could not get it to make the noise either, but after a few minutes of trying (and almost giving up), it happened.

The guy said it sounded similar to a issue they had with an RSX, probably the throw-out bearing chattering on the shaft. I'm bringing it back next week and they are going to run some tests. I will keep you posted!

PS, I had my alignment done. There's a new SB out for the rear control arm that may be required if the alignment doesn't come in on the rear.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:17 PM
10th Gear

I see from above that an 2004 is doing it.....

are other years having this issue as well?

I wonder if this issue is occuring on all manuals to some degree (more or less).

You guys are making it hard for me to go buy a TSX
Old 04-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Riley....I love this car and highly recommend it. If you haven't driven one, go do it...and you will see.

The list of problems and fixes on this forum is short compared to most other car forums.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:33 AM
10th Gear

Yea, I know they're great. I've driven them a few times now and actaully made an offer last week on a used one. They didn't take my offer but I'm still in the hunt. Maybe today I'll pick one up.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Update!

I brought the car in this past Wednesday. The throw-out bearing was rusted & worn. This led to the 'not' smooth release of the clutch and the chattering/noise on the output shaft.

They replaced everything in the clutch assembly. Clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, flywheel, etc & re-aligned it (again).

They covered everything under warranty. The clutch release is much smoother than it was before. I have always had a difficulty releasing the clutch smoothly...I just thought it was my driving style and some interference with the VSA or DBW. Guess not.

However, now I hear a faint whine from the engine bay...might just be the new bearing, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. Same with the alignment, not sure if it's 100% straight. Few days back on the road will tell...
Old 05-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Just got back from the dealer and asked them to check out the noise. They say I have to replace the entire clutch assembly....over $1000. I have over 100,000 miles on my car, but it's 95% highway...ie no shifting.

So, is this something I can wait on, or should I get it done now? The noise dosn't happen all the time, but it is anoying.

I just think they are doing the typical dealer thing and saying "Replace the whole componenet and that'll fix it." When it could just be a case of replacing one thing.

The funny thing is that they checked it out 5000 miles ago and couldn't find anything after they had done an inspection of the clutch.....weird huh?

I trust their honesty, but I question their technical ability....

What do you guys think?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Hey bud.

I'd think that if the throw-out bearing binds up, you could be in for some trouble. A throw-out bearing is cheap. It's the other stuff that is expensive (and the labor). I think the dealer uses the 'replace it all' theory. That's nice if the car is under warranty.

I wish I asked to review the removed hardware...to see what the components looked like. I have to bring mine back on Monday. I found a loose bolt on the cowl, and it seems to pull a little left.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

What kind of damage am I looking at if the throw out bearing binds up? Should I just suck it up and replace all of it or should I push the issue of only replacing what it damaged?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
What kind of damage am I looking at if the throw out bearing binds up? Should I just suck it up and replace all of it or should I push the issue of only replacing what it damaged?
If you have to pay for the parts and labor, then definitely replace all the related parts when the trans case is apart. Throw out bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch release fork, and pilot bushing. You don't want to pay for labor twice if one of those other parts gone bad soon after the repair.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

unless you do it yourself...then you could pick & choose based on what you find.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
Just got back from the dealer and asked them to check out the noise. They say I have to replace the entire clutch assembly....over $1000. I have over 100,000 miles on my car, but it's 95% highway...ie no shifting.

So, is this something I can wait on, or should I get it done now? The noise dosn't happen all the time, but it is anoying.

I just think they are doing the typical dealer thing and saying "Replace the whole componenet and that'll fix it." When it could just be a case of replacing one thing.

The funny thing is that they checked it out 5000 miles ago and couldn't find anything after they had done an inspection of the clutch.....weird huh?

I trust their honesty, but I question their technical ability....

What do you guys think?
I get the same sound but it doesnt happen often enough to take it into the dealer because it probably wont do it. Im not going to do anthing until the bitch falls out of the bottom of the car. it is annoying (Scruuuuuurnch) but the car doesnt jerk or anything so I guess its just something the car does.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by moda_way
I'll be replacing mine soon and I can replicate the sound whenever I pull out of my driveway. We'll see if this takes care of it. Thanks!!!
UPDATE

Well, I replaced my MTF at 55k and the sound has not come back. Not sure what it could be internally that could make the sound, but it definitely is not there anymore.

All I can say is, I'm replacing my tranny fluid next time at 100k instead of 120K and it will be with something other than Acura MTF as well. Not say the stuff is bad, but I gotta believe there is better.

The fluid at the change was pretty thin, very dark and was definitely ready to be taken out.

I did get 3 quarts and it took 2.5 b/c I continued to fill it with a hand pump until it drained out, so I know the 2.1 quarts is is there.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moda_way
...All I can say is, I'm replacing my tranny fluid next time at 100k instead of 120K...
Wow, you have 120K miles??

I've got 16K miles and have this noise
Old 05-24-2006, 05:52 PM
VSA Rocks

Over the past few weeks, I've been noticing a sqeal/squeak now as opposed to the dreaded clicking from the cruise/start switches.

For those of you getting the noise, can it be described as a slight squeak when releasing the clutch into a gear? It appears that the sound is only heard after a load is placed on the clutch. It doesn't make any sound if I simply push the clutch in without going into a gear or hitting the throttle.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

To me, it initially sounded like a belt slipping, but worse...not a good sound.

Moda...changing the tranny fluid wouldn't affect the throw-out bearing lubrication...
Old 05-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

2004 MT.
I've had that noise almost from day 1. Now have 80k. Also got the gear whine from the MT. I talked to the local dealers in Hunterdon Cty, and 2 guys told me separately to change the trans fluid more often. When I changed it at 40k, it was dirty, so now I change it every 30k. It still comes out slightly dirty. The gear whine has not gotten worse. The grinding noise on take off in first gear is very intermittent and not predictable. Cold, hot, whatever. Sometimes won't hear it for weeks, then every day for 3 days. Always in first gear.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have something like this on my 04 w/ ~25K miles. It's been doing it for some time. I'd describe mine as a sort of hesitation and groan that reverberates back in the car when launching in first. Drives me nuts. I have somewhat convinced myself that I just don't know how to drive the car right but I've never had problems like this in my previous MTs. Mine seems to be worse when cold, and for some reason, doesn't seem to happen as often or severely when turning from a start. Not sure if this is the same thing. Figure that either my clutch is going bad, VSA is doing something, or DBW is unrefined. Glad to know others have what may be the same problem. Getting annoying enough that I'm going to take it in, happens often, makes me hate the car every time it does it. Once I'm rolling and the window seals aren't chattering, I love it again though. Very frustrating.

Quick Reply: Terrible noise from engine bay when releasing clutch!