SRS unit failure and repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS unit failure and repair

There is little information on this issue so I decided to share the story here.

Several months ago my Acura TSX 2004 started having a red SRS light on the dash. At first it was intermittent, once a week and eventually the light stayed on all the time. My mechanic read code 53-42 - Internal SRS unit failure.
I kept hoping it was an electrical issue and not the computer itself: checked the voltage, the alternator, the battery and they were all good. Then I ordered a new SRS unit from Delray Acura for about $330.
They shipped me a different part number ending with 3060 and assured me it was compatible with my TSX and it was.

Then I went to install it. Many sources tell you you have to remove the center console etc etc. Do not listen, waste of time. It is a simple job, watch this video

Anyway, I installed the new SRS unit and the red light stayed on but now it was accompanied by a blinking orange light: "Side airbag is off". I figured it was an old code, cleared the code and the problem remained.

The new code said 85-43 - Faulty OPDS sensor. I took the car to a more knowledgeable Honda mechanic who tried to calibrate OPDS four times, gave up and told me to buy a new seat because it will be cheaper to replace the seat than to replace the sensor inside the seat.
Needless to say I was very disappointed.

Now the good news: I drove home for about 30 min with the blinking orange light and the permanent red SRS light. Then I went back to my car, started it and both lights were gone. It has been a week and they stay gone.
I do not exactly know what happened. It appears that the new SRS computer needed some time to adjust while the car is running, maybe it needs to charge capacitors or exchange handshakes with OPDS computer or who knows.
Interestingly enough the tech manual tells you before calibrating the new OPDS leave the car running for 30 min with A/C on to dry the air in the car. Maybe the computer sets a timer for that...

Anyway, the bottom line is when you put a new SRS unit mount it and give it time to adjust, maybe it will fix itself.

thanks,
Sergey