Are remanufactured parts too big a crap shoot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Über Geek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are remanufactured parts too big a crap shoot?

My '04 TSX has trouble starting lately. Since the battery's new (Dec. '09) I think it's the starter motor. A new OEM one is $300.

Remanufactured ones are $100 - $200. I'm broke, so that looks great.

Is it?
Is this a classic you-get-what-you-pay-for?

Any experience with off-brand or rebuilt parts you can share would be helpful.
(Push-starting with my kids in the car is getting OLD real quick.) Thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A "remanufactured" starter is just a used and fixed starter. Just like how a "preowned" car is just a used and cleaned car. Odds are in your favor though, since the part has been repaired, by Honda. It will likely last you just about as long as a new OEM one would, but obviously it doesn't come with any kind of warranty, and just like a new OEM one, it could break in a week.
I'd go with a remanufactured one, but I'm sure there will be lots of posts below mine that tell you to go with the new one to avoid the worry.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reman stuff is usually as good as new, but there are exceptions; some stuff is remanned in Crapistan so beware. Even AutoZone has two levels of remanned parts for some items. If there is a lifetime warrantee and you do the work yourself what can you lose?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep your receipts.

Going back a while, but I bought a replacement alternator at Canadian Tire - in about 2000 - for a 91 Civic Si, for about 1/3 of the Honda price...hey, how much longer was I going to keep that car, I wondered. The replacement died after 11 months, but I still had the bill, and C/T exchanged it for another unit. This time I had the replacement installed by a mechanic (although not a Honda dealer), to make sure my installation wasn't the problem. Three weeks later, the second unit died when I was 800 miles from home, but I knew what the sypmtoms meant, and bought three new batteries to get me home. [Btw, the Honda dealer in Syracuse was a lot less than helpful, and cost me half a day of waiting around.]

When I go home I had a new Honda alternator installed, by Honda, and submitted the bills for the C/T alternator, batteries, hotel, food, and mechanic to C/T. I also mentioned that I'd found two other stranded Civics around town also with C/T replacement alternators, and suggested that they [C/T] had a quality control problem.

I got something like $900 back, everything except the mechanic's labour, about two weeks after I sent my letter.

[I actually kept that Civic for another three years, but had the alternator moved over to a "low-mileage" Japanese replacement engine from Lucky Star Motors, Toronto - now THAT was a good deal, after my engine failed an emissions test at 150,000 miles. ]

Last edited by gdcwatt; 08-09-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
good advice to keep the receipts.

I've changed a starter on on accord before with a re-manufactured unit, bad right out of the box. Took it back, got another one right away, it's worked since.

It's hit or miss with re-manufactured parts, but if you do the work yourself it may be worth it.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I'd see if you can get parts that aren't branded OEM Honda/Acura, but are from the supplier.

For example, my alternator went bad about a year ago, and the shop gave me 3 options....OEM, reman, or a Denso unit, which is the original manufacturer of the OEM part. I went with Denso, which was much less than OEM, but only a little more than reman.