reduce vibration from driver's side radiator fan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
reduce vibration from driver's side radiator fan?

So the motor on my driver's side fan finally kicked the bucket. I just had the motor replaced with an aftermarket motor as i wanted to keep the stock fan blades, but unfortunately I got crazy vibrations through the car and steering wheel when it turned on and I was in drive but stopped. Now with the oem fan motor, I always got increased steering wheel and car vibrations when it kicked in (totally normal on all tsx's). But this was different. So it turns out the fan was wobbling, and I ended up having to replace the entire fan and motor this time with an aftermarket one. Besides being somewhat louder, this new fan/motor also introduces more vibration (though not as cyclical) when it is running (it cycles every 30 or so secs w/the ac on), and has also somehow made the wheel vibration with the passenger side fan just running by itself a bit increased as well (that's new). This sucks, and I'm looking at the install for the new fan and it seems like my fan housing that connects to the radiator has much less "wiggle" than it used to. Normally you can rattle this thing around in its housing. But of course the idiots at the shop stripped a bolt at the top and just used a zip tie to secure the new fan at the top. The rest of the install looks good as I don't see anything out of place or loose. I'm thinking maybe the zip tie is too tight or that the aftermarket fan motor is just crappier and causes more wheel/car vibration.

I wanted to originally replace with the oem acura Japanese made motor, but it was some crazy $300 minimum for the part when the passenger side motor was only $60. Who knows why. So anyway. Does anyone know if I have any options here for reducing the vibration when the driver's side fan activates and cycles on? This is the trouble with aftermarket parts. Note that the vibration isn't noticeable when in neutral or when moving in D, it's when idling in D at a stop. This is the same behavior the car had from day 1 before I replaced the fan and motor. Now it's just more substantial vibration and is annoying.

Last edited by Jottle; 08-13-2018 at 01:26 PM.