problems, problems, problems..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems, problems, problems..

this is basically a rant because im so fed up with all this problems this car is givin me so i just wanted to see if anyone else has/had these problems ...

first of all i have an 04 ssm 5at tsx, bought it in july of 08 with 109,xxx miles on it..test drove it everything was good. about a month later the tranny starts whinning everytime i started the car or drove at low speeds, also i had the shaking when going 55mph to 60mph. dealer doesnt do anything bc im outta warranty, whatever.

tranny goes in late november of 09, got a used tranny with 54k, put it in, cost about 1500 altogether because not only did the tranny need to be replaced, all of the transmission mounts needed to be replaced too..awesome.

now when i drive the car the whole thing kinda hops like a tire is about to fall off, and also when i turn i hear a really loud popping sound. came to the conclusion the cv joint is pretty much done. i havent got it fixed yet..

starting this past week whenever i turn my heat on it blows out cold air for literally 45min until it actually heats up..the heated seats still work. also when the heat actually heats up it makes the car overheat, my gauge was pretty much on 'H' the whole time until i turned the heat off...does anyone have any ideas what's goin on with that?

sorry about the long thread im just so pissed off that the car has so many damn problems. any input is appreciated.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
I would suspect that your thermostat is acting up, causing engine overheat and insufficient heating in the interior. I hope you did not drive for an extended amount of time with the needle on 'H' or else you might face a blown head gasket. I suggest getting that problem checked out ASAP.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

thankfully i was only a street away when it went all the way up to 'H' ..for the time being im guessin i shouldnt i drive with the heat on?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your car is overheating STOP pull over turn the car off and call a tow truck!!!!!!!

NEVER NEVER NEVER drive a car that is overheating.

It will be the difference between $45 repair and a $6000 repair.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Usually when a car starts to overheat, it helps to turn the heater on highest setting and full blast. Like HI OFECR mentioned above, you should not drive a car that is overheating.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah you probably need a new thermostat. Pretty easy job to do. Make sure if you are getting someone else to do it that you get an OEM one. The aftermarket ones I have heard are problematic. As everyone else said don't drive your car until you get this fixed! Even if you drove it for a block on H you could have caused damage to the engine.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

thanks for all the input guys!! i really do appreciate it.
thankfully my boss owns a shop and is lettin me get my car fully fixed tomorrow, all the problems i mentioned will hopefully be done or somewhat close to fixed late tomorrow..ill let everyone know the outcome!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jptsx12
thanks for all the input guys!! i really do appreciate it.
thankfully my boss owns a shop and is lettin me get my car fully fixed tomorrow, all the problems i mentioned will hopefully be done or somewhat close to fixed late tomorrow..ill let everyone know the outcome!
Good luck with that; hope you can make out. I see you've joined the legions who have ummm...... interesting things to say about their 04 TSX.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I know that Honda is typically a brand that most relate to "long lasting vehicles", but you didn't begin ownership of your TSX until over 100k miles. Unless the previous owner(s) took immaculate care of it (with some sort of paperwork like receipts or service records to prove it), there's no telling what sort of life it has had.

The problems you've experienced sound like things one should be prepared for (not necessarily financially, but somewhat mentally) on a vehicle with a six figure mileage.

I know how you feel...I went through some resentment when a basket of problems popped up with a '96 Ford Thunderbird I used to own. Probably not quite as expensive as what you've encountered...but it consumed A LOT of my time.

It sucks that so many problems occurred so quickly, though. I'm glad to hear that you're able to get them fixed! Hopefully you will resent your TSX less when it's done.

Last edited by thunder04; 12-28-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Any car should be serviced, even if it's Honda.

a month later the tranny starts whinning everytime i started the car or drove at low speeds, also i had the shaking when going 55mph to 60mph. dealer doesnt do anything bc im outta warranty, whatever.
Did you try changing ATF in your tranny after buying the car? It is recommended to replace ALL fluids as you don't know which of them were ever changed by a previous owner.
now when i drive the car the whole thing kinda hops like a tire is about to fall off, and also when i turn i hear a really loud popping sound. came to the conclusion the cv joint is pretty much done. i havent got it fixed yet..
not fixed again.. it's like you're waiting for something even bigger to happen with your car...
starting this past week whenever i turn my heat on it blows out cold air for literally 45min until it actually heats up.
Again...

Don't whine on forums, visit a mechanic URGENTLY. All your problems happen because you don't treat your car well.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by thunder04
I know that Honda is typically a brand that most relate to "long lasting vehicles", but you didn't begin ownership of your TSX until over 100k miles. Unless the previous owner(s) took immaculate care of it (with some sort of paperwork like receipts or service records to prove it), there's no telling what sort of life it has had.

The problems you've experienced sound like things one should be prepared for (not necessarily financially, but somewhat mentally) on a vehicle with a six figure mileage.

I know how you feel...I went through some resentment when a basket of problems popped up with a '96 Ford Thunderbird I used to own. Probably not quite as expensive as what you've encountered...but it consumed A LOT of my time.

It sucks that so many problems occurred so quickly, though. I'm glad to hear that you're able to get them fixed! Hopefully you will resent your TSX less when it's done.

Any car with that mileage is going to start needing some work. I don't care if it is a Honda or not. It doesn't help that you don't know its service history.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

ok, well i got everything checked out and ordered today..turns out the axle is bad, which i knew, i do have a anti-freeze leak but when they were tryin to find the leak they also found a transmission leak from a bad clip? i have no idea supposly its an easy fix

i had a bad o2 sensor after my tranny was replaced. i had no idea how expensive they were! a parts place around here wanted $542! acura wants $208.

i also have a bad thermostat and got 2 new tires. andddd i believe that's it. pretty much costing another grand.

i understand i was puttin the axle off, but only because im 19yr old paying for everything on my own. so its not that i treat my car badly, regardless these problems would of still occured, it just took me a while for me to get enough money after the tranny replacement. so it's not that im 'whining' i was seein if anyone else expeirenced these same problems.

about the previous owners...the first owner did all the schedualed maitence and showed with records and receipts, the 2nd owner i have no idea

i love the car, dont get me wrong, i just dont like the problems, and im sure after everything is fixed i will love it even more. but thanks everyone for listenin and all the replies. i do appreciate it.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

the car is fixed! its rides as smooth as butter now and im lovin every second of it! i knew there was a reason that i bought thus car...i know it seemed as if i hated the car, but even with all the problems the car is still awesome.

thanks to everyone for the replies. now all that is left is owing my boss money for a veryyy long time
Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
the car is fixed! its rides as smooth as butter now and im lovin every second of it! i knew there was a reason that i bought thus car...i know it seemed as if i hated the car, but even with all the problems the car is still awesome.

thanks to everyone for the replies. now all that is left is owing my boss money for a veryyy long time
Glad to hear it worked out. I'm sure you'll enjoy your car now that it seems to be in good working order. A number of the comments here appear to be, as David E. Davis would occasionally say (for those that don't know who he is, look it up), a keen grasp of the obvious. Starting out with a car with 6 digit mileage can be a daunting task. But...... my 05 is at almost 113K and I will have no qualms about selling this car when the time comes. It's in perfect condition, never been hit, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and maintained by the book. It has allot of life left in it.

And to anyone that feels they need to burn this kid..... his thread is kind of what I thought that this forum format was for. Express ideas, ask for advice, share experiences, and hopefully respect each other. I actually remember what is was like to be 19, though we didn't have anything like this to reach out to.

Congratulations; you seemed to have kept your spirits up throughout this ordeal.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

No problem, good to hear everything is okay now and that the car is back on the road.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts