View Poll Results: Have you had the center console lights out problem?
Yes, and I have Navigation.
18.93%
Yes, and I don't have Navigation.
44.36%
No.
36.71%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: '04 TSX and the problem with the center console lights going out.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Good to hear they are covering it. The fact that Honda even attempts to make out of warranty customers pay for this repair makes me ill. They put what is clearly a bad part in the car and expect the customers to foot the bill for their incompetence. Unbelievable.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:26 PM
such a dirty birdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My (wife's) 04 non-navi has this problem now. It's probably been like this for months before I noticed it, because I don't drive the TSX much. I took it to the dealer with a printout of the TSB. The Service Manager says they won't fix it free (car has 110,000km now), and they are offering a 50/50 split on an estimate of $500 to repair. Sounds fishy to me, I don' t think the faulty component can be replaced for only $500, and given the TSB on this issue I shouldn't have to pay at all.

The service manager told me the TSB only applies to US models, that Acura Canada uses "a different system". Sounds like more BS to me, I'll be following up with Acura Canada's customer service myself. This is really annoying, esp since it took me at least 6 repairs and contacting customer service to get the "sliding seat" issue fixed. Acura is not impressing me with their quality or service.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
From what I remember most people were quoted at least 1k for getting this fixed. In all likelyhood the dealer is planning to charge Acura for the full warranty repair under another in warraty car yet still nail you for $225 bucks. I'd call Acura but wouldn't expect to get anywhere with them either.

Sounds crazy but that $225 may be your best option.

And that TSB not being for Canada is complete and total BS. I'd be pissed they even suggested that.

What dealer is this?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
such a dirty birdy

Hey dom, lookit you, Mr. Mega now. The dealer is Southview Acura in Edmonton. The service manager was really suspicious of me, asking me how I got the TSB, etc. He didn't even want to look at it or acknowledge that it's the same problem once the tech had diagnosed the issue. That's when I got the "different system" bit, when I pushed him to confirm that my car has the problem described in the TSB.

When I got the car back last week, there was an estimate of $250 for repairing the radio. This week I'm told they'll pay half, but mysteriously, the cost to repair is now $500, so my share is still $250. Hmmmm. Seems fishy, no?

It's just a lot of run-around for something that is clearly a defective part and Acura knows it. It's like they are trying to convince me to replace this car with a Lexus instead of another Acura.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majormojo
Hey dom, lookit you, Mr. Mega now. The dealer is Southview Acura in Edmonton. The service manager was really suspicious of me, asking me how I got the TSB, etc. He didn't even want to look at it or acknowledge that it's the same problem once the tech had diagnosed the issue. That's when I got the "different system" bit, when I pushed him to confirm that my car has the problem described in the TSB.
When I had my TSX repaired this week, I discussed all of the items that I wanted fixed under warranty, and mentioned the TSB's. I conspicuously left copies of the TSBs on the front passenger seat when I dropped off my car.

It was curious that the service "write up" people didn't respond or react to comments about TSBs. If they didn't know, they soon found out. I wondered if they weren't expecting customers to know details of TSBs.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Advanced

I took my 2004 TSX w/nav into the dealer yesterday with this problem. I printed off the service bullitein posted on hear and told him the car has 70k and this is whats wrong. He said it was out of warranty, then called me the next day saying they would fix it for free. Im glad the problem was fixed very easy without me paying the bill.

Farmington hills acura of MI quoted me just under 300 to fix it.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:29 AM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by moda_way
04 TSX, VIN 6400, bought in June 2003, lights when out somewhere around 30k and a year later.

so the lights went out on you twice?

I got 04 TSX non-navi here bought in Feb 2004, lights just went out at 38k miles. Took it in to South Coast Acura here in Southern California, highly recommended over Tustin Acura (rude, never called me to let me know if parts were in, so i dont bother to call them to cancel the parts too ) for all you locals. SC Acura gave me a loaner car for 1 week while they order and fix the problem, washed my car and "vacuumed the interior too"! That was def a plus

KC
Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

No problems as of yet with an 04 5AT, non navi, VIN# 16,850, and 37,400 miles on it so far.....hope it either breaks before warranty or doesn't break at all!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
its so pathetic how dealers first response is always to deny coverage, even when there is a freaking TSB regarding the issue!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 AM
ABP 6MT

04, around 32k, center lights went out about 2 weeks ago. Need to call dealer, also have clicking clutch issue.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggaman
its so pathetic how dealers first response is always to deny coverage, even when there is a freaking TSB regarding the issue!
If the car is past warranty coverage, the dealer cannot fix it under warr. without a goodwill authorization from the Acura District Service Manager. A Service Bulletin makes no difference, as it's just a description of the problem and repair.

It's as simple as that....
Old 09-05-2006, 06:00 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by majormojo
My (wife's) 04 non-navi has this problem now. It's probably been like this for months before I noticed it, because I don't drive the TSX much. I took it to the dealer with a printout of the TSB. The Service Manager says they won't fix it free (car has 110,000km now), and they are offering a 50/50 split on an estimate of $500 to repair. Sounds fishy to me, I don' t think the faulty component can be replaced for only $500, and given the TSB on this issue I shouldn't have to pay at all.

The service manager told me the TSB only applies to US models, that Acura Canada uses "a different system". Sounds like more BS to me, I'll be following up with Acura Canada's customer service myself. This is really annoying, esp since it took me at least 6 repairs and contacting customer service to get the "sliding seat" issue fixed. Acura is not impressing me with their quality or service.
Oh yeah, the radio in canadian model is "a different system" compared to US model. BULLSHIT!!!!!!!! They are sharing the same body style, engine, suspension, etc.. but not the radio system?? Why someone can be that stupid to say about it???
Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, my lights just went out 2 days ago. I'm at 25,500 or so.
04 TSX
6MT Navi
Old 09-12-2006, 01:11 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Magicking
My 04 TSX I bought in 03 summer. Non-NAVI, Manual, and now is 68000km. At around 57000km, the plastic protector on the A/C display pop-up and I brought to dealership to replace with no charge.

Two week ago, the control and display lights suddenly went dim. I brought to the dealership again, the service guy ask me to pay $1000 CAD to fix it. It was lucky I did the research and printed out the Acura service bulletin about this problem and brought it to the dealership again. I said: "The console is faulty as mentioned in ther service bulletin, therefore Acura should have a call back. Also the console just replaced at 57000km and I should not pay anything." Of course the service guy cannot make the decision and he said he has to talk to the service manager. The service manager just called me back one hour ago and he said I only have to pay for 1 hours service ($100CAD) and Acura will pay the part. Of course I accepted.

In this experience I found that most of the time the dealership will not do any research on faulty parts. If the part is under warranty, of course they will fix it and charge Acura. If the part is not under warranty, the first action they will take is asking customer to pay. In this case, if I didn't show the service bulletin to them and they won't do any research and communicate with Acura.

Therefore next time if the part is even out of warranty, do the research by YOUR OWN FIRST, well prepare before bring your car to the dealership.
Magic king can you forward me the service bulletin
Old 09-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Got Milk???

For those of you with 2004 TSX, when dealer replaced your radio under warranty, have you noticed that your "hazard light" changed from rectangle to triangle with weird bumps around it? I dont exactly remember what my hazard light was prior to the replacement, but i could swear it was a rectangular button instead of triangular...

KC
Old 09-13-2006, 07:55 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

umm....my hazard button is triangular. I think the 04 and 05 are triangular and the 06 is a rectangle
Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

'04 MT non-navi purchased new in June 2003. Lights went out at 40,500 miles a week ago. Dealer seemed to recognize the problem immediately and has ordered replacement radio which is to be installed tomorrow. No charge.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Though I voted no a few weeks ago, my lights went out today

04 Model, bought new in July 2003, 28,500 miles. I think I will just wait before taking it to the dealer along with the 30k maintenance. I will try to get them also to replace the driver's seat leather as I have the discoloration along the edge (PWP/Parchment). At least I am still under warranty.

Does anyone know if they are replacing the units with modified or updated units so that it won't happen again? It seems like a few people had it happen more than once
Old 09-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

I had my '04 console replaced a month ago. I don't recall the hazard light button shape before the repairs, but in my quick check this morning, it's triangular .

I did ask the dealer whether the units were new or refurbished replacements. He jibbered some vague double-speak answer. The replacement unit had all of the clear peel-off stuff on it. It looked new and showed no signs of wear or tear.

Let's hope that they replaced it with a unit that resolves the design or manufacturing flaw our originals had.

The good thing about these forums (like this) is to find out this crap, eh! How was life for the consumer before these forums? I bet a lot of people got screwed! Now dealers must deal with (some) consumers who really do know what's going on!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

04 TSX, NBP, Non-Navi, just rolled over 56k miles. Lights went out last week. The dealer is trying to push it off onto the extended warranty that explicitly says it doesn't cover "multi-disk cd changers." Looks like I'll be calling Acura Customer Service (again), if they start running me in circles (again).

I agree with what some of the people here have said. To me, the TSB indicates that it is a faulty item. Not that it 'went bad' but that it was faulty from the beginning. I don't think I should be paying to replace or repair faulty items.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by darkanion
04 TSX, NBP, Non-Navi, just rolled over 56k miles. Lights went out last week. The dealer is trying to push it off onto the extended warranty that explicitly says it doesn't cover "multi-disk cd changers." Looks like I'll be calling Acura Customer Service (again), if they start running me in circles (again).

I agree with what some of the people here have said. To me, the TSB indicates that it is a faulty item. Not that it 'went bad' but that it was faulty from the beginning. I don't think I should be paying to replace or repair faulty items.
The point isn't the CD changer. It's the console, which requires complete replacement of stereo, CD, etc. Did you report a CD changer fault too?

Print out the TSB--it's available by link somewhere on this forum--and show it to the Service Manager. Highlight the sentence regarding goodwill consideration for out of warranty repairs. Ask the Service Manager to appeal to the District Mgr.

Carry a clipboard, notepaper, and pen with you and take notes. Bring a friend or relative along as witness. Have the witness stand away 2 meters or so, within eye view and earshot. This will make the Service Mgr ill at ease that you are monitoring and noting what happens. It's very effective AND important for your defense!

Always be polite and calm and direct. Never be rude or threatening.

Tell the Service Mgr that you will follow up with him in two days to appeal. If your appeal is denied, get the exact details--write it down, write it down, write it down--date, time, name of Service Mgr, etc. Get the name and phone number of the District Manager.

In this situation, it's important to give the Service Mgr at least a second chance to come clean.

If that fails, inform the Service Mgr that you will be appealing and will confirm all that he told you with Acura Customer Service or the District Mgr.

This will bring a LOT of exposure to the service mgr and the dealership in their Customer Care.

Have you considered visiting another Acura dealer?
The following users liked this post:
I.H. (07-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Can't wait to drive

No Problems with my 6MT, navi '04. Had it since late 03, 42k miles on it. Clutch has issues though (squeaking)
Old 09-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
No Problems with my 6MT, navi '04. Had it since late 03, 42k miles on it. Clutch has issues though (squeaking)
I had that fixed too. Although I had read somewhere that something needed lubrication, the dealer determined that the master cylinder (?) needed replacement. Haven't had the squeakyu creaking clutch since then.

It was handled under warranty for my '04 TSX 6MT NoNav.

I think I've had more warranty work done my TSX than my previous 3 Accords combined, all of which I had bought new. 2 of the Accords were US built; the first Accord and the TSX were Japan built. I certainly cannot say that the Japan-built cars are of better quality that the US-built ones. The Accords are all long-lived and dependable.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Cruisin'

just out of curiousity... has anyone remembered doing anythin electrical related in the past before the centre console went blank?

mine just said its prayers and has gone to heaven but does come on here and then to say hello... come on faintly before returning to complete darkness

i do remember jump starting my car about a month or so ago... not sure if that could've created a surge of some sort

thats my five cents (no two cents in aus =p)
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

They called and said the whole unit needs to be replaced. $1400+ to install a new unit. I balked at that, referring to the TSB I had taken over there and pointed out to them. I suggested that they talk to "whoever they need to talk to about this known issue, to see what can be done." I also said I'd call Acura Customer Service, if they thought that might help things along any. "I don't mind doing that for you guys." An hour or so later, "We've ordered a new unit. It'll be in, early next week and we'll get the car back to you. No charge."
Old 09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 04rob
Please indicate if you have had the problem with the center console lights going out (the TSB problem). Bonus points if you post to indicate ~ what mileage/age (of car) it happened.

My lights went out last week. The service rep was very helpful and knew of the TSB. Unfortunately, they did not have the part needed so they ordered one first thing the next day and will be under warranty. Should be here early this week. He said, I will get a notification in the mail

year 04
Miles: 15,000
Old 09-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Instructor

i have navi. and went out too many times 4th unit replaced same shit. i dont think is the bulb it is the unit connect wiring issue.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chicago_tsx
My lights went out last week. The service rep was very helpful and knew of the TSB. Unfortunately, they did not have the part needed so they ordered one first thing the next day and will be under warranty. Should be here early this week. He said, I will get a notification in the mail

year 04
Miles: 15,000
Just got my tsx back last night. Its working but they didn't replace the unit. I know because of a little mark that was on the lower left portion of the radio is still there. They scratched a portion of the silver trim and the area in front of the center storage. They also threw all my stuff that I had in my storage bin onto the floor. Would have emptied it out if I knew. The service rep was really helpful and took it seriously. We made an appointment for later this week for me to drop off my car so they fix it. Sometimes I don't think its the dealership as much as which service rep you get that makes the experience.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
To clarify... is the problem that the ENTIRE centre stack loses all light, or it is just the buttons that fail to light up but the display screens still work?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by curls
To clarify... is the problem that the ENTIRE centre stack loses all light, or it is just the buttons that fail to light up but the display screens still work?

for me, everything worked just fine just the lights were out.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by curls
It was the lights for ENTIRE center stack for me... The clock. The stereo. The A/C unit. Everything worked, but there were no lights. Every once in a while, enough sunlight would shine in the right way that I could see the LCD's were all still working. Other than that, everything looked blacked-out.

I'm still waiting to get mine back. Today makes a week that they've had mine......
Old 09-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by chicago_tsx
Just got my tsx back last night. Its working but they didn't replace the unit.
mate... if we find out what they did to your centre console, you'll be designated legend for the month

hmmm... still not sure what to do, am considering a second hand one if my mechanic doesn't make a breakthrough soon
Old 10-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Central Console Lights

I thought I was going crazy, but I was on a long road trip in a dark area (i.e., no other cars or street lights) and I could swear that I saw the center console lights flickering a bit out of the corner of my eye. I thought I was going nuts. Now, I'm guessing this means they are about to take a dump at some point in the future.

'04 TSX
Non-Nav
35k mi
Old 10-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

console light failure

Where is this console light TSB? I can't seem to locate it.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Instructor

My wife has an 04 with nav, bought in August of 03. Our llights went out about 2 years ago at 30,000. Took it to the dealer, went back that evening, and they said the lights were working fine. I checked the car and the lights were still not working. They called the next day and said they had to order a part. Went back 2 weeks later when the parts came in. They didn't tell us the CD changer had to be removed. Got the car back, lights worked, 6 cds gone. We had to wait 4 weeks for the cds to be mailed back to us from California.

Not a great experience.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Cruisin'

2004 at 74,000 mi.
6mt navi

i noticed it when i went for a second test drive at night before i even bought the car. i was like, "shouldn't these be lit up?"
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Well, I’m the author of the 11th post in this thread of messages, and here I am, back almost exactly two months later to report that I just switched from Haven’t Had the Problem to HAVE Had the Problem. Everything was normal when I turned on the car last night, but about 10 minutes into my trip, the center stack – or, as Acura calls it, the audio-HVAC display --went dark.
The mileage on my NBP ’04 6MT non-navi is about 40,650, so the “good” news is that this will be taken care of under warranty. As I said in the earlier post, I feared winding up the unfortunate group to which the problem happens well after the warranty is kaput. What I fear now, based on what some of the others who’ve had the problem fixed, is that getting the audio module replaced will be unnecessarily difficult and time consuming. I hope the local dealer’s service department will – if it doesn’t have a replacement audio unit in stock – just order one without requiring me to come in just so a tech can confirm the obvious, and that the wait will be no more than a few days.
Ideally, they’ll already have one and I’ll be able -- soon -- to leave the car for a day, get a loaner and return at the end of the day to find the job done well. Seems to me I recall a number of posters reporting that when they got their cars back after the audio module was replaced, some cosmetic damage had been done to the cars’ interiors in the disassembly-reassembly process. THAT would really bug me.
I’m thinking about trying to deal directly with the service manager, in hopes that he can expedite things and, most importantly, assign the job to the right person. Doesn’t have to be the most technically savvy guy in the place, just competent AND careful. You don’t want to have interior gouges or scratches to constantly remind you that the tech who replaced your audio module wasn’t very good.
Wish this worrier luck.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

I have to go back to get the lights fixed again. This time I bought painters tape and will tape over all the areas (silver trim, two sides in front of storage bin, and even shift knob) that they damaged last time. I know it sounds super anal but I don't care. Even though they gave me a loaner last time, i didn't like the fact I had to wait a week to have them replace the damage.

RX280, if you are really worried about possible damage, you could try that.

Originally Posted by rx280
Well, I’m the author of the 11th post in this thread of messages, and here I am, back almost exactly two months later to report that I just switched from Haven’t Had the Problem to HAVE Had the Problem. Everything was normal when I turned on the car last night, but about 10 minutes into my trip, the center stack – or, as Acura calls it, the audio-HVAC display --went dark.
The mileage on my NBP ’04 6MT non-navi is about 40,650, so the “good” news is that this will be taken care of under warranty. As I said in the earlier post, I feared winding up the unfortunate group to which the problem happens well after the warranty is kaput. What I fear now, based on what some of the others who’ve had the problem fixed, is that getting the audio module replaced will be unnecessarily difficult and time consuming. I hope the local dealer’s service department will – if it doesn’t have a replacement audio unit in stock – just order one without requiring me to come in just so a tech can confirm the obvious, and that the wait will be no more than a few days.
Ideally, they’ll already have one and I’ll be able -- soon -- to leave the car for a day, get a loaner and return at the end of the day to find the job done well. Seems to me I recall a number of posters reporting that when they got their cars back after the audio module was replaced, some cosmetic damage had been done to the cars’ interiors in the disassembly-reassembly process. THAT would really bug me.
I’m thinking about trying to deal directly with the service manager, in hopes that he can expedite things and, most importantly, assign the job to the right person. Doesn’t have to be the most technically savvy guy in the place, just competent AND careful. You don’t want to have interior gouges or scratches to constantly remind you that the tech who replaced your audio module wasn’t very good.
Wish this worrier luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Advanced

My car is in the dealer for this problem right now. They ordered the replacement radio and it turns out that is not the problem. Looks like they are going to need it for a few more days.

Oh well, gives them time to replace the sway bar end links under warranty. They have been clanking for 1-2K miles and probably went bad because I lowered the car...
Old 11-16-2006, 11:56 AM
8th Gear

HVAC lights out @ ~52k miles, YM: 2004, non-navi.

Can someone please post a link to the TSB regarding this issue. I cant seem to find it, and I know I read it a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Poll: '04 TSX and the problem with the center console lights going out.