Paint coming off on front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:07 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint coming off on front bumper

I've had this problem ever since i bought the car in October. When I took my TSX home, i noticed a big chip on the front bumper - looked like somebody dropped something on it at the dealership. I called them and took the car back, they painted it and it looked good. Well, about a month later the paint started to peel up - Im not sure if it was just the clear coat or the actual paint (Nighthawk Black). This was happening around the area where the original paint was messed up. They fixed it, but left a little fisheye. They had to order some windshield clips for the car and said they would fix it when i came back. Now, 1 1/2 weeks later the entire front bumper is losing paint. It looks like it was chipped up to hell. it's driving me crazy and looks like white shit all over the bumper. Has this happend to others? is it a defect in the paint? I am so pissed at this crap. Will post pics when i can figure out how to attach.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
must be a poor paint job done by dealer, they shall give you a new bumper. my TSX did not have this problem.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm just funkin around...

u should be able to get a new bumper... when i got the car, the bumper was fine, even up until now.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by SmokinHaze
u should be able to get a new bumper... when i got the car, the bumper was fine, even up until now.

I don't know about a new bumper but for sure a new paint job.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Design By Force

Is it true that because EPA standards have become more strict that paint jobs now are all done with water based paint that chips much more easily?

I saw a few new TSX's that had been all chipped up on the front end from regular wear before i bought mine, and i decided to get the 3M clear bra... I',m glad i did, no chips, no scratches, and i go 30 mi. every day to/from work.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Perhaps when they repainted the damaged area, they didn't add flex to the paint. Or even placed a clear coat on top of the repainted area.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Racer

Those cheap bastards!!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Instructor

I think the paint could not stick on the plastic bumper...i had this problem before when i had
to touch up some scratches from the rear bumper of my other car...but the paint would peeled off and it look ugly because it is a plastic material not metal. So i think they did a
quick job by spray paint on your bumper and leave it at that.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:48 AM
The Power of a Grill

I think i'm going to send an angry letter to Gunn Acura in San Antonio. I just don't like their service. They cant seem to get the bumper right, not to mention all the things they seem to screw up when i take it in. Then I will send a nice letter to the Austin Acura dealership explaining my dissatisfaction with Gunn Acura in San Antonio and requesting future repairs and maintanence to be done with them in Austin with a copy sent to Gunn in San Antonio. I would gladly drive the extra hour to get better service.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:06 AM
Racer

uh, when someone rear ended me, i had to get a new paint job for the rear bumper. the rear bumper paint job has a 5 year warranty.... bring your car to the dealer, have them do it right.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theARCHITECT
Is it true that because EPA standards have become more strict that paint jobs now are all done with water based paint that chips much more easily?

I saw a few new TSX's that had been all chipped up on the front end from regular wear before i bought mine, and i decided to get the 3M clear bra... I',m glad i did, no chips, no scratches, and i go 30 mi. every day to/from work.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SmokinHaze
Take into consideration that the OEM bumpers are not painted when ordered. They're going to have to find someone to paint it. If you're in SA and feel like driving to Austin to get it painted instead (if they'll approve paying you back to have a satisfactory job done), take it to Sutherland Auto Body (512.892.7500: Larry Gilbert) on South lamar in Austin. I've had them do great work and practiced good business for me when I worked at Sterling Acura. They've even fixed a little whack on my rear bumper.

With my standards in my car's care, let's just say that my recommendation is a strong one. Not that I'm saying you'd doubt my opinion 9seeing as we don't know each other), but I am a heavy contributor on here that would not try to steer someone in the wrong direction.

When it comes to having a dealer use a vendor for repairs (especially when doing a touch-up job on a car), they unfortunately use the simpler, cheaper method initially to attempt to rectify the problem. In this case, they should have just sent it to a professional shop in the first place. From your description of what is happening now, they probably just had a touch-up service some out to the dealer and spray the car on-site. I assume this also took just 1 day. If they sent it to a shop to get it done properly, you'd know. There would be no signs of the initial damage. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:05 PM
The Power of a Grill

Thanks Kurt_bradley. It was a one day in-house paint job that they had a guy come in and do. I will look up Sutherland and also see how much they would charge to paint my lip spoiler that i just got but am waiting to get on until after the rear bumper is fixed. Gracias.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

get it repainted... this time pay them to put a few extra layers of clear coat.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Pro

i think extra layer of clear coat will not solve this issue, and extra layer will look darker but more protection against stone chip
i think they prepare paint job must done poorly..
Old 01-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
FYI, not all Acura body shops are Acura certified. Best to ask when getting appraisal for any body work.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Banned

Man......the paint jobs on the TSX is really crappy

Got several pin head size chips on the front of the car......the clearcoat and layer of paint is stripped...can see the bare metal on the hood ...

If they are using the new standard of paint 2 protect the environment...why dont they put several layers of paint on the car....im so pissed. I took it to a dealer and they said they cant do anything about..but offered me a free car wash. Sure....get it wet and let it rust....

I owned several cars for many years and never had problems of rock chips this bad before. I think im going to write a letter to Honda/Acura Canada about this......