P.S. Feed Hose Leak Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
P.S. Feed Hose Leak Issue

Sorry to re-post, but I need any help you can provide.

Is there a way to temporarily (few weeks, perhaps a month or two) I could buy myself some time before having to replace this power steering feed hose? It's $200 ($180 plus S/H) for the part, plus labor, plus I'm sure my P.S. system could use a good flush after that. (I don't feel qualified for this DIY, frankly.)

I am already having to put a few hundred into my TSX right now for maintenance, and business has been REALLY slow for me, so I'm cash-strapped to say the least. Since I bought mine used in '05, I'm still making payments, too.

I appreciate any input.

Oh, FYI: this hose is leaking from the area where the metal "clamp" is (very close to where the gold-colored bracket bolts on to the oil case/crankcase/whatever it's called).
Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Instructor

no advice, eh?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Pics would be very beneficial to any useful help. However, unless you've already tried tightening the clamp (if possible), I don't think there's much that can be done. Let it leak (and ruin any painted surfaces it comes in contact with), or fix it.

Have you asked an independant shop if they can do anything for you?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Instructor

It's weird ths pics aren't showing up. Here are the links to them:
http://www.vcreativestudio.com/ebay/IMG_0185.jpg
http://www.vcreativestudio.com/ebay/IMG_0186.jpg
Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Are these parts interchangeable?

In my quest to fix this no-fault-of-mine power steering hose leak, I came across a part number for a Honda Accord 4D '03-'07 power steering feed hose that is remarkably similar (one digit off) to the part number of my TSX's P.S. hose.

53713-SDC-A02 TSX part #
Best price I found: $181.84
53713-SDA-A02 Accord part #
Best price I found: $89.70

To slightly complicate matters, Part # 53713-SDA-A02 has now been replaced by 53713-SDA-A52.

As you can see, if the Accord one fits (and the illustrations look remarkably similar), I'd save a $100+. This is enticing to me. If any Acura/Honda techs, talented mechanics, guys or gals with a service manual, or anyone else "in the know" has info on this, I'd love it if you could share.

I'm not just lurking, either. I have been doing my best to share the smattering of knowledge I've just recently acquired through AZine and DIY. If you have knowledge in this area, please let me know. I've tried Google, but the results aren't very enlightening. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by kvan2007

53713-SDC-A02 TSX and JPN Accord part #
Best price I found: $181.84
53713-SDA-A02 Accord part #
Best price I found: $89.70
(Part # 53713-SDA-A02 has now been replaced by 53713-SDA-A52.)
Please, please, everyone. I know this has been a highly sought-after post, and I've had to beat the replies back with a stick.

LOL. Anyway, I was at a local Honda dealership buying some PS fluid, and I was chatting with the parts desk guy, who was very knowledgeable. I decided to ask him about my PS feed hose quandary. Long story short, we pulled both SDA-A02 (American Accord part #, which is now SDA-A52) and SDC-A02 (the TSX and JPN Accord part #). We laid them out, side by side, and he and I scrutinized them. To his surprise, he confirmed my suspicion that I could use the Accord part on my TSX. Of course, I won't know with 100% certainty till I do it, but I have now had two different parts reps @ Honda dealerships say that they use JPN/US parts interchangeably. If so, then it stands to reason that they could use the US part (1/2 the price of JPN one) in a US Accord, and it further stands to reason that I could therefore use the US part in my JPN TSX.

I haven't done it yet, because I was able to finally track down the leak and fix it temporarily with JB Weld. (For the hundreds of you who've been stalking this post and are just dying to know, the hose has a hairline crack in it, just north of that metal "corrugated" fitting. I finally figured that out two nights ago. The JB Weld seems to be holding, but it has only been two days, so we'll see.)
Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most Accord parts like that are interchangeable with TSX parts. It's because it's the same part. Just like how Chevron fuel is one price at one gas station adn a different price somewhere else, the TSX parts are going to a "high end" vehicle so they're more expensive. It's really the same part, so don't worry about it. Enjoy the $100 you saved
Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Itchytoe, I knew that most were interchangeable and that ours are the same car--but this one, for whatever reason, wasn't "translating" or cross-referencing to the appropriate Accord part. Plus, I had two different Honda parts/repair folks tell me it might not work, but that they weren't sure (which is why I asked the third guy, who has lots of experience and why he and I laid the two different hoses out, side by side, to compare them). He'd concurred with your assertion that most parts are interchangeable, but this one wasn't coming up in the parts database like my other parts were (PS reservoir, a TL solenoid, gaskets, crush washer). Luckily, I remembered the part number (soooo many Web searches) for the Japanese Accord, and he was able to pull it and compare the two. And, FWIW, it does have different colored fittings at one end. He and I both highly doubt that that matters, though.

Regardless, I hadn't enjoyed the pleasure of spending yet saving $125 yet, as I was hoping that the JB Weld would hold. It didn't. As Sir Elton says, the bitch is back (the leak). Bleh. So in about a week or so, we'll know if it really does fit, when I install mine.

I plan to do a DIY thread with pics. Though based on the lack of interest in this thread, most folks will never need to know how to do this. Oh well, at least I'll have made a contribution to the AZine community.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:14 PM
4th Gear

Kvan2009, keep us updated on that. As I was changing the oil on my 04 today I discovered that my feed hose was leaking also. I was shocked to find that a replacement hose will be around $200.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Instructor

PS Fluid Possibly Dangerous

Originally Posted by jedi14323
Kvan2009, keep us updated on that. As I was changing the oil on my 04 today I discovered that my feed hose was leaking also. I was shocked to find that a replacement hose will be around $200.
$252 at a dealership and $181 +S/H online, actually. Yep, that is steep. I was informed by two different parts reps at two different Honda dealerships that they frequently interchange parts for the Japanese and American Accords. So, this should work for us as well, using the American Accord PS hose, which is $70-100 cheaper.

Keep your eye on the leak. Friday night, I was underneath the car, trying to drain my ATF, and I got a very clear view of where the fluid is going. It is dripping down the back of the exhaust manifold, down the oil pan, and a little bit onto the catalytic converter. The safety recall on the Acura TLs and RLs states that this fluid on a hot cat. conv. can cause a fire. So, I cleaned mine up and will not drive the car until the new hose arrives on Tuesday. I am not going to risk it! Plus, that stuff was all over my CV boots, axle boots, the PS pump switch (gold and orange little fixture behind the ex. mani.), and it had caked onto a couple of sensors. I'm frankly surprised that i have not had more trouble with this leak. I have no clue how long I've had it, though I took it to JE Acura (blech!) in Houston two years ago for a fluid leak that was on my garage floor. They kept it for four days, but like my A/C noise that scares everyone within a 1/2-block radiius and the three-second delay in shifting on our '03 TL, they "could not duplicate the problem."

Keep an eye on that. I will let you know as soon as I install the part (prob. Tuesday evening) if the cheaper Accord part works.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Jedi, where is your hose leaking, do you know?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM
4th Gear

It is leaking 4 inches above the power steering pressure switch. I degreased the hose and started the car. I could then see the on the hose where the leak is. It is a very slow leak. Fortunetely the power steering fluid is leaking onto the steering rack, then into the frame. Either way i am not driving it until I install a new hose.

Last edited by jedi14323; 11-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM
4th Gear

Interesting Findings, I googled P/N 53713-SDC-A02 and I was directed to http://www.hondapartsnow.com
There it says applications are for 03'-07' 4D Accords, price is still 181.84 + S/H.

Cheapest I have found so far is from http://www.hondasuperstoreparts.com at 176.79 + S/H
Old 11-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Instructor

It worked!

Okay, boys and girls, I have news. I ordered 53713-SDA-A52, the American Accord power steering feed hose, from Saccucci Honda (www.hondapartsdeals.com) for $95. They might be a few bucks more than other places, but their service is awesome, and you get $5 off your first order. Anyway, as my previous posts state, our TSXes are Japanese and the part specified for them is 53713-SDC-A02, which costs twice as much.

Well, I got the Accord part in on Tuesday afternoon. I began removal of the old one, but I didn't have a flare nut wrench. In fact, I didn't even know what that was until late Tuesday night, when I'd given up on removing that friggin' nut (the one that attaches the feed hose to the gearbox) for the evening. I went to Harbor Freight the next morning and purchased a set of crowfoot flare nut wrench attachments for my socket wrench. That did the trick in under a minute!

So, without much trouble, I removed and installed the Accord hose on my car. The little guide/bracket things were a PITA to fasten down (well, just the one closest to the gearbox/steering column area). That one gave me sore fingertips! Sheesh.

I've put less than 100 miles on the car thus far, but it seems to be working like a charm. I just started the car and took a gander down into the engine bay, and there are no leaks and no problems. My exhaust manifold and catalytic converter are now free from power steering fluid residue. And I saved a tidy sum: about $200 or so in parts and labor.

I will update in 1,000 miles or so, and let everyone know if things are still going smoothly. I have a feeling they will be, though. I'm really happy that this worked out.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice, good job! Saved some money, helped anyone else out whose looking for the same replacement part, and you probably learned a lot in the process!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM
6th Gear

Hey man thanks for the info. Saved me about $200. Ive been needing to replace mine hose for about 2 months now.. and just couldnt spend $280
Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Instructor

I'm a woman, and you're welcome. Glad I could help. :-)

So I had to take an 1,800 mile road trip last month for a funeral, and my car was in tip-top shape. The PS hose held up fine, as did my wheel bearing, my ATF change, my oil/filter change, and the other random things I've fixed on my car in the last few months. Yay for me and extra yays for all the folks here on Azine.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm surprised I didn't see this post earlier. That's some useful information!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just found a leak of my own at the sensor end. Just wanted to know how your accord hose is holding up and if you have any more tips. thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

well i just ordered the accord part. hope this works for me too!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
kvan2007:

Are you the original owner of your 2004 TSX? If not, how long have you had it and how many miles did it have when you got it?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

Just got the hose delivered last night and jumped right in to replace it. Don't worry if you don't have a flare wrench as it isn't critical. I used a 19mm wrench at the hard line connection, as well as at the sensor that you need to switch to the new line. I do agree with the OP that the hardest part is getting the far bracket back on. That thing is a PITA. I was using a pry bar and everything to work that bolt in and eventually got it. Funny thing is it went in when i decided to lessen the muscle and use a little finesse. I would have done a write up but was rushing a bit, so I don't have any pictures. The only other part that took a little work was getting the stock strut bar back on. I can't see how the job can be done if you don't remove this. Anyway, so far so good with the accord hose.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Ugh! I just spoke with Acura Customer Care about the P.S. Hose Recall Campaign, and I was informed that I'll still have to take my car into the dealer to have the repair "approved" by them.

(A little bkgrd.): About six or eight months ago, I noticed a hose leaking fluid under my engine. I was new to DIY, so I had no clue. Helpful Azine folks showed me that it was the P.S. hose. It had leaked all down the ex. manifold, and a little had made its way to the onto the cat. converter. What a mess. Well, I tried a clamp, leak-stopping fluid with parrafin, and JB Weld. Nothing worked. So I did my homework and discovered (and shared with the boards) that a Honda P.S. hose would fit my car and cost $100 less. So I bought the hose, the o-ring, the P.S. fluid, and a couple of tools and replaced the damned thing myself. Yay for me.

Now that there is a recall (damned late, if you ask me), I cannot just be reimbursed for the parts (labor?), tools, fluid, etc. I have to take it to the dealer, drop it off, wait for their inspection, (I can only imagine it'll be rejected, since it's a Honda Accord P.S. hose), and then I won't get my $ back

Or if it by some miracle my repair is "blessed," I have to gather all my receipts, submit them to a "case manager" and they'll "review" them, says the Acura 1-800 # rep.

This sucks.