Over-tightened lugs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over-tightened lugs!

I'll start this off by saying I love the service department at my dealership, Greenwich Acura. They always go out of their way to help me, they're mod-friendly, and are generally wonderful to deal with.

That said, why do so many service techs approach wheel installation with the, "turn the airgun as high as I can and go berzerk on the lugs" approach?!

I had my TSX in at my dealership three weeks ago and one of the things they did was put my Hawk HPS pads on. Well, when they re-installed my rims, they apparently used God's own impact wrench on the Volk lugs I have on there. I went at it today with an 18" breaker bar and got the locking nut loose, and then on the following nut, I broke the socket I was using clean off. It was that tight.

Anyone else encounter this? My plan now is to go back to Acura, ask that they loosen all the lugs and then hand torque them all to 80lb/ft so that I can perform my swap back to the OEM wheels myself.

This was more of a rant than anything else so I hope this is an OK place to put it!

- Matt, now short one socket.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I stripped one of my Volk lugs today......dayum......... Does anyone know where I can order a new set? I have the Volk GTC's.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
I'll start this off by saying I love the service department at my dealership, Greenwich Acura. They always go out of their way to help me, they're mod-friendly, and are generally wonderful to deal with.

That said, why do so many service techs approach wheel installation with the, "turn the airgun as high as I can and go berzerk on the lugs" approach?!

I had my TSX in at my dealership three weeks ago and one of the things they did was put my Hawk HPS pads on. Well, when they re-installed my rims, they apparently used God's own impact wrench on the Volk lugs I have on there. I went at it today with an 18" breaker bar and got the locking nut loose, and then on the following nut, I broke the socket I was using clean off. It was that tight.

Anyone else encounter this? My plan now is to go back to Acura, ask that they loosen all the lugs and then hand torque them all to 80lb/ft so that I can perform my swap back to the OEM wheels myself.

This was more of a rant than anything else so I hope this is an OK place to put it!

- Matt, now short one socket.
I find most places do this as well. Today, a mechanic went over each lug on one of my wheels 3 times with the air gun. Completely unnecessary...but I'm guessing they don't want any liability whatsoever if there happens to be a problem with your wheels.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using a "torque stick" with an air gun is not uncommon, it's what I use at work.

If these were used with the air gun there is no way they can be over torqued.

But, from what most recommendations state, aftermarket lugs SHOULD be hand torqued, and not torqued with a hand gun. Even in conjunction with a "torque stick".
Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
Using a "torque stick" with an air gun is not uncommon, it's what I use at work.

If these were used with the air gun there is no way they can be over torqued.

But, from what most recommendations state, aftermarket lugs SHOULD be hand torqued, and not torqued with a hand gun. Even in conjunction with a "torque stick".
Have to agree. I use a torque stick exclusively. For the O.P......how good of a socket were you using?, as some of the cheap/thin "made in China" ones often can't withstand even 80ft/lbs.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know Honda/Acura mechanics are given torque sticks. Given that, they can and will sometimes just grab an impact an hammer them down. Just depends if the mechanic cares to walk 50ft to grab it or not. In any event, you aren't going to find any consistency, so you gotta deal with what they do.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,575 Posts
hmmm maybe I need to get me a torque stick. I just use my impact gun to but the lugs back on on the middle setting and then tighten with the a torque wrench.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Littering and.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to me yesterday. Had new tires put on my summer rims about a week ago. Tried to put my winter rims on yesterday and not a single lug would budge. I decided not to push my luck and keep trying, because the last time I did that, I actually sheared the stud off. Paid $10 to have Pep-boys switch them out.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
I stripped one of my Volk lugs today......dayum......... Does anyone know where I can order a new set? I have the Volk GTC's.
that sucks cause I dont think you can buy just one of those.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
I know Honda/Acura mechanics are given torque sticks. Given that, they can and will sometimes just grab an impact an hammer them down. Just depends if the mechanic cares to walk 50ft to grab it or not. In any event, you aren't going to find any consistency, so you gotta deal with what they do.
Given??? No I bought mine. I think Honda supplied one to our shop (that management payed for). The hourly guys fight over that one. Line Techs aren't "given" any tools, at least where I work.

And the only time I don't use it is when the car has aftermarket wheels with lug pockets that are too small for the tool, or the cust. specifically requests "hand" torquing the wheels.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by poltergeist
specifically requests "hand" torquing the wheels.
wow I didnt even know dealers would allow you to do this or actually follow through if you do.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "cave men" at Discount Tire use torque wrenches and the torque spec is on the work order.

Unfortunately the jacking instructions aren't, and the doofus put my 91 Corvette on a platform jack before I caught him. Ended up jacking the car on the floor pans which are plastic in front and steel in back - can you believe no damage ? Moral of the story is watch 'em every minute if you value your vehicle.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
wow I didnt even know dealers would allow you to do this or actually follow through if you do.
Probably depends how good your dealership is and what kind of relationship you have with them. I know that if I'd asked for hand torquing my service department would have done so no questions asked. The tire shop that originally put my Advans on hand-torqued the lugs per the instruction of the shop manager. I was impressed with him for that.

I'm giving it one more try on the weekend, I'm going to buy a better quality socket (as was suggested, I don't think the one that broke was stellar). After that it becomes Acura's problem!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poltergeist
Given??? No I bought mine. I think Honda supplied one to our shop (that management payed for). The hourly guys fight over that one. Line Techs aren't "given" any tools, at least where I work.

And the only time I don't use it is when the car has aftermarket wheels with lug pockets that are too small for the tool, or the cust. specifically requests "hand" torquing the wheels.
Yeah, I had to buy all my tools when I used to work for a dealer, all the techs did.

I did the same practice too, if the lug holes were too small I'd bust out the thin wall sockets and the torque wrench, and if the customer asked for hand torque-age then hand torque-age it is....especially if they are watching.

Oh, just to add to my previous post, it is possible to "over-torque" with a torque stick, only if you hold onto the torque stick while using it. It alters the torsinal (sp?) force, thus resulting in over torque-age.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
that sucks cause I dont think you can buy just one of those.
Yea I know....... Any idea where I can get a set?