Navigation System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation System Problems

I have an 04 with navigation. About 2 months ago I started having intermittent problems with my nav system and the problem continues to get worse.

After starting the car the nav system wants to reboot...enter pin...find gps...system comes up. This will happen everytime I start the car for a couple of days and then it will work fine for a couple of days.

Alpine referred me to Acura, Acura Customer Care said go to a dealership, Dealer ship said 200.00 to diagnose the problem!

Any ideas? lose wire? Battery issue?

Thanks
Bob
Old 04-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Instructor

The nav system "boots" up every time you start the car, the nav computer/dvd unit in the trunk shuts off when the ignition is turned off.

Are you saying it reboots while the car is on?

There is a way to do a factory reset on the system to put it back to system defaults for everything(it's different than disconnecting the batt)
Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

No. Call Alpine and insist to have them let you send it to them. Make sure you have all the info handy (S/N, Model#, Firmware version,etc) it'll cost you like 250 plus shipping and handling but its better than having the STEALERship charge you just to diagnose it. PLUS Alpine gives you a one-year warranty on the refurbishment!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear

The normal boot process does not require the PIN #, it is my understanding that the pin is required when power is lost or disconnected. That is what is leading me to think it is a loose wire or battery issue. I have tried to find a schematic to see if there is a battery or a hot wire from the fuse box that provides some power power when the car is off but have had no luck.

Alpine did say I could send it in and have it repaired for 169.00 but I have no idea how to get the thing out. Any thoughts?

I really don't think it is the sytem itself, I think it is electrical but can not find any information on the wiring.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
You can press CANCEL MAP and INFO (I think) at the same time and boot to the system screen. From there you can run a diagnostic. It will check the hardware and switches. If all those check out it sounds like a loose power or ground connection.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:14 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by SixPacMac
The normal boot process does not require the PIN #, it is my understanding that the pin is required when power is lost or disconnected. That is what is leading me to think it is a loose wire or battery issue. I have tried to find a schematic to see if there is a battery or a hot wire from the fuse box that provides some power power when the car is off but have had no luck.

Alpine did say I could send it in and have it repaired for 169.00 but I have no idea how to get the thing out. Any thoughts?

I really don't think it is the sytem itself, I think it is electrical but can not find any information on the wiring.
Yes it does get power when the car is off. There is a separate PIN for the radio. If your radio is fine then I'd say the issue is with the wiring to the navi unit. First thing I'd try to look for loose connectors on the back of the nav unit in the trunk. Easiest thing to check and maybe something got knocked loose by something in your trunk.