Navi not starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009 | 12:16 PM
Advanced

Navi not starting

On my 05 TSX the Navi doesn't seem to want to start right away. I get a message to see dealer regarding the situation. But when I am on long trips, the Navi will eventually start working. I would like to avoid going to the dealer because they will charge me $110 just to look at it. I have cleaned the DVD disc and still nothing works. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? I was wondering if it is the laser on the DVD player that is not reading the disc right away. Another person said that moisture from outside could be the issue, but I don't have it exposed directly to the outside.

Hmm?
Old 02-04-2009 | 03:29 PM
Instructor

maybe talk to someone about getting one of those cd lens cleaners. do u have a warranty?
Old 02-05-2009 | 02:20 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Cool

Originally Posted by rastaman
On my 05 TSX the Navi doesn't seem to want to start right away. I get a message to see dealer regarding the situation. But when I am on long trips, the Navi will eventually start working. I would like to avoid going to the dealer because they will charge me $110 just to look at it. I have cleaned the DVD disc and still nothing works. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? I was wondering if it is the laser on the DVD player that is not reading the disc right away. Another person said that moisture from outside could be the issue, but I don't have it exposed directly to the outside.

Hmm?
Your Navi DVD drive is dirty. The same thing started happening to me. First it was delayed starts and then it was no start. I tried the cleaning disc with no results. Luckily I have a technologically inclined roomie who took the drive apart and blew the dust out of it and wiped the lens as much as he could. My lens had a cloudy coating, probably off-gasses from the plastics in the car. Once the lens was cleared the navi is working like brand new. I had already gone through ordering and replacing a new navi disc with no result and using the lens cleaning DVD sold at Best Buy. The first visit with the lens cleaner brought me a week of use until the drive died again and would not resurrect. Only a manual cleaning of the lens got the drive going again.

A new drive is around $1100 @ the dealer so it may be worth it to take the drive out and visit a techno inclined friend.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad (?) news.
Old 02-05-2009 | 02:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by carcrazyboy68
maybe talk to someone about getting one of those cd lens cleaners. do u have a warranty?
No warranty. That ended after 3 years for the navi.
Old 02-05-2009 | 02:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stevestr
Your Navi DVD drive is dirty. The same thing started happening to me. First it was delayed starts and then it was no start. I tried the cleaning disc with no results. Luckily I have a technologically inclined roomie who took the drive apart and blew the dust out of it and wiped the lens as much as he could. My lens had a cloudy coating, probably off-gasses from the plastics in the car. Once the lens was cleared the navi is working like brand new. I had already gone through ordering and replacing a new navi disc with no result and using the lens cleaning DVD sold at Best Buy. The first visit with the lens cleaner brought me a week of use until the drive died again and would not resurrect. Only a manual cleaning of the lens got the drive going again.

A new drive is around $1100 @ the dealer so it may be worth it to take the drive out and visit a techno inclined friend.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad (?) news.

Thanks for the news. I will look into that. But you say that I can start with the lens DVD cleaner from Best Buy. I will try that.
Old 02-05-2009 | 02:38 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Using the Best Buy disc (I forgot the brand they sold but it was around $17 US I believe - some Gold level) you will have to cycle the navi off and on several times because the navi system stops reading the disc after 3 seconds. I believe the instructions on the disc advise about how to use the disc if you are not using it in a system where you can change the chapters. Anyway after about 7-8 of these eject, insert, start car, 7 seconds, eject, repeat I got some life out of the system for a week and a half.

If you have to have the drive taken apart I was able to clean mine with dry Q-tips and a lot of patience. I would leer away from the wet cleaners.
Old 02-05-2009 | 03:32 PM
Drifting

Be careful about cleaning with the q-tips. The lens sits on a very delicate hinged servo mechanism that is needed to focus the laser on the very tightly packed tracks. If you bend the hinge while cleaning it, the whole device is useless.
Old 02-08-2009 | 08:15 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all of your help. I remember seeing a manual online for fixing the Acura cars. Maybe they have that instruction on how to put the DVD Navi in and out of the truck. Do you guys know if this manual might exist?
Old 02-20-2009 | 02:28 PM
Instructor

Hi,

I had the same issue with my 05 TSX and i opened the Drive and cleaned it and still had the same problems and i have sent it to Alpine for repair and they told me some parts stopped working and they repaired it for $150/-.. You need to ship it to alpine..

Refer this thread..

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/dvd-disc-reading-error-3g-garage-i-001-a-690561/
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:46 AM
Advanced

interesting. I used the DVD lens cleaner and that seems to have worked for the time being. I tried to open the DVD machine to clean the lens but it looked way to complicated once I started. I will look into the Alpine company if it starts to fail on me again. Thanks for your input