Manual Tranny question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004 | 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Manual Tranny question/problem

Hi all -

I've been a TSX owner for a little over a week and I think I may have a problem with my 6MT.

Occassionaly (~50%) when shifting into 3rd, I feel a bit of vibration in the shifter. It's a bit more pronounced if I purposfully push the stick up (forwards) while in 3rd. I haven't noticed any weird sounds coming from the tranny, and it's only in 3rd that it happens. The car still accellerates normally.

At first, I thought that it was because the car was new and perhaps needed to be broken in a bit, but now having 1300 miles it still does it. I don't spend a lot of time in 3rd as most of my driving is at highway speeds.

So, I was wondering if other 6MT drivers have felt the same thing or have any idea what is wrong. I'll address it at the dealer when I get a chance to bring it in, but was looking for advice before going in blind.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2004 | 04:50 PM
Safety Car

No, I don't expereince that vibration with my 6MT. Keep us posted.
Old 08-01-2004 | 12:39 AM
Instructor

I used to have similar problem but mine was 1st to 2nd. There was a little grind but that hardly happen.
Old 08-01-2004 | 05:27 AM
Race Director

Probably normal - you are always going to get some vibration through the drivetrain - it's just a matter how sensitive you are to it.
Old 08-01-2004 | 11:21 AM
Orangeblood

When I was a noob with this car, I found myself leaving hand on shifter (quit pretty quickly). Doing that usually causes you to apply some pressure to the shifter in the gate. I believe this more firmly "couples" the shifter with the linkage and gearbox, causing some vibration to come to your hand through the shifter.

Is this what you're feeling? If so, put your hand somewhere else, or be careful not to push or pull at all when hand resting on shifter.
Old 08-01-2004 | 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Yes, MarkPinTx, I feel it when I leave my hand on the shifter as I'm rowing through the gears - and more pronounced if I apply a bit of pressure to the stick. However, the part that bothers me is that it is ONLY in 3rd, and does not happen every time I am in 3rd. Oh well, maybe I'm being a bit too picky b/c the car is new. I guess this is what the warranty is for.
Old 08-01-2004 | 11:38 PM
Racer

I know EXACTLY what your talking about. i have about 1800 miles, the last 800, i been driving pretty hard , now its gone. i forgot about it and your post reminded me, when i went out today started driving, and it was gone. i dont know when it went away. maybe you just need ride it alittle bit more.
Old 08-04-2004 | 05:54 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nct1596
Hi all -

I've been a TSX owner for a little over a week and I think I may have a problem with my 6MT.

Occassionaly (~50%) when shifting into 3rd, I feel a bit of vibration in the shifter. It's a bit more pronounced if I purposfully push the stick up (forwards) while in 3rd. I haven't noticed any weird sounds coming from the tranny, and it's only in 3rd that it happens. The car still accellerates normally.

At first, I thought that it was because the car was new and perhaps needed to be broken in a bit, but now having 1300 miles it still does it. I don't spend a lot of time in 3rd as most of my driving is at highway speeds.

So, I was wondering if other 6MT drivers have felt the same thing or have any idea what is wrong. I'll address it at the dealer when I get a chance to bring it in, but was looking for advice before going in blind.

Thanks in advance!
I am new here too. I bought my 6MT tsx 3 weeks ago. It has 300 miles on it now. Please excuse me if I ask a dumb question. Is it normal to have a little vibration on the shifter for a new car?

nct1596, I noticed the same vibration issue. The vibration only happens in 3rd. For the other gears, I don't feel anything.

BTW, did you have a chance to check with the dealer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2004 | 08:15 PM
Instructor

All,

It's not a good idea to leave your hand on the shifter and apply pressure not shifting. This causes the forks that move the transmission internals to press up against whatever parts they move, causing premature wear. I learned this from restoring a couple of MGs (old British sport cars for you youngsters) and it may be less applicable to new cars, but manual transmission haven't changed much is decades, so I'll be it still applies.