Let the door rattles commence!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 10:53 AM
TSX-Black Bolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Let the door rattles commence!

I know this has been posted before...need to vent.

8500 miles on it, and both passenger door and drivers door.
What’s funny it was not there two days ago, then BAM! Both of the doors at the same place at the same time.

So let’s see.

1: bad design on door panel.
2: weak assembly on door panel.
3: bad material used to make door panel.
4: Onehunglow, forgot one screw during assembly.
5: Twcanchew, mounted the door panel incorrectly.
6: Sumlikemyoung, did not hang the wiring properly.

either way...its a common issues with most TSXs, and there should be some TBS, out or a complete replacement of all door panels with a fixed designed.

Have a dealer appointment this Monday...I will give them a shot.
Before I go in and fix it.

I was thinking of a complete disassembly of the panel, and rebuild using glue, and better hardware. Daynmat the back side of it, and the inside of the door it self, and while I am at it..a speaker replacement, with a baffle.

Anyone out there, with a good permanent fix?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Master in Science

Re: Let the door rattles commence!

Replace the speaker and dynamat the back so the bass doesn't reverbate (sp?) inside the door.

I replaced the speaker only, and it made a huge difference. I still get a little noise with very low bass, even though I cut off the low frequencies in my amp.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:15 PM
TSX-Black Bolt

Do you have the stock amp? Or is it a replacement?

Should i Use a baffle basket behind the speaker?
Old 05-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

this is what NOT to do

This is what has been replace and has not worked after 3 attemps. If your dealer does this it's a waste of time
72325-SEA-003
81536-SDA-A71 (Frame L FR)
77241-SECA00ZA (panel B DR NH)
72275-SEA-003 (Channel L. FR)
72375-SEA-003.

Acura does not have a TSB but needs to have one issued. I've had my car in the shop 51 days for various rattles. Good luck and let me know if they find the solution.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:52 PM
TSX-Black Bolt

The car is at the dealers now...

They called me and said we are going to replace both door panels completely.
They did not even make an attempt, to pull it to see if they can fix the rattle.
Just…”we ordered 2 new full door panels, for your car “

That’s one way, to fix a door rattle.

The tech told me sometimes when you pull the panels, you can cause more problems. He said that the door pockets are two piece designed , and are plastic welded together and when pulling the door panels you can sometimes break the weld, he said the clips that hold the door are tightly seated against the metal frame, simply trying to remove it can cause more vibration, when mounting the door panel back in place.

Or there could be a fix for the infamous door rattle, and ACURA is not admitting to it, There may be a new replacement panel made just for this type of problem...

Lets see...I hope it does not come back in another 8500 miles..
Old 05-18-2004, 12:56 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my door panels replaced twice. The first time they broke those plastic welds. The second time all went well and I was rattle free for a while, but they came back.

So the door panel replacement doesnt work, dont bother.

Its quite frustrating.

By there is some hope for a TSB. See this thread.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=9469
Old 05-18-2004, 02:57 PM
TSX-Black Bolt

I did not want to hear that...

The dealer will have a regular vistor every 8500 miles, replacing door panels, or until there is a fix.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:44 PM
TSX-Black Bolt

Door panels replace...not as much nosie...but there is still some..
So is the nosie coming from the door panels?

Or the door itself?

Brand new car.....DAMMM
Old 05-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Cruisin'

I'm almost to the point of asking them to replace the entire door. Has anyone thought of that?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

mark tate -

I've thought of that, but haven't asked yet. I have about 15 days total in the shop, various replaced parts, calls to Acura, a service manager who just says he can't hear it, so there's nothing he can do. Very frustrating. Like others have said, I'll just complain every single time I take it in for an oil change (every 5k miles).

Acura said they weren't aware of a problem when I called them. This is after the dealer told me they had seen 80 TSX's with the same problem. His answer was, "I can't be aware of every problem."
Old 05-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

Make sure you have the senior techincian drive with you. Don't just rely on leaving the car with them. Take them on the same route you drive. If it takes an hour, so be it. My tech rode with me 4-5 miles and said that even he could not live with the rattles. Acura knows of this problem and it is a shame that they don't step up to the plate and resolve this issue.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Can't wait to drive

I think having the dealer replace the door panel parts won't fix the rattles if the design is the flaw in the first place. I found the following to be the cause / solution to the common rattles:

Most rattles are caused by bass output of the speakers. If you have the stock speakers, you are SOL because the clamp on design and the cheap lightweight bracket of the door speaker will rattle if you crank up the volume and / or bass. I replace my speakers with aftermarkets and I dynamat them also..so I don't have any rattles from them

Another place is the plastic plate behind the interior door handles, that is used to cover the two screws. That tends to rattle, also. I find slipping a thin foam or double side tape behind that does the trick

Finally, another major rattle area is the door locks. the plastic surrounding piece rattles when you crank up the speakers. That is very noticible since it's almost next to you ear when you drive. Solution is to remove it, and spray (lightly) some lubricant, like lithium grease or similar non oily thin lubricant so the rattle is minimized.

Rear deck is also another rattle prone area..I bought some dynamat for the rear deck speakers, but I've been too busy (lazy) to install them

Anyone else notice other significant rattles?
Old 05-31-2004, 11:14 PM
Instructor

I had a somewhat faint but very annoying rattle in my drivers side door - it would rattle at certain bass frequencies. If I pushed on the door panel firmly the rattle would go away.

When I replaced the door speakers I managed to find out what was causing that rattle. There is wiring bundled in plastic conduit, right behind the switch area. It's secured pretty well, but in my case the conduit was lightly brushing against the moisture barrier. The rattling was caused by the conduit and the plastic film vibrating against each other.

My ghetto fix was to put some hockey tape around the conduit. I was hoping the cloth tape would act as a soft barrier and prevent vibration, and it worked.

Now if only I could get the rear shelf to stop vibrating like mad when the bass is turned up...
Old 06-01-2004, 11:34 AM
TSX-Black Bolt

I was told if you removed the door panels....that you risk breaking clips...and other parts of the door. Then when you put them back on...you may end up with more rattles...

That is why i am staying away from a speaker upgrade.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Can't wait to drive

I partially broke a door clip or two when I replaced my door speakers. At the worst, you can purchase new clips from the dealer for a few bucks if they are completely shot. If you are spending money on new speakers anyway, it's worth replacing them. If you just want to fix a little rattle, I would be more hesitant. Even though the clips broke partially, they are still pretty secure and I have no rattles from them
Old 06-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Instructor

I definitely recommend using a panel removal tool for the clips. The TSX's door panels are really stiff, so it does take some effort to cram the tool in. But the tool hooks to make sure the clip comes off the door, instead of the clip separating from the panel and potentially breaking the plastic there.

Here is a pic of one from Crutchfield
Crutchfield