Lemon! Plz read.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemon! Plz read.

Hello TSX owners. I am here to try to get a petition going and to see how many other people have also had these problems with their TSX.

I have had my car for about a year and a half and have just over 50 thousand miles on my car. I bought a Acura because Honda is known for its long lasting cars and reliability. Because I am driving about 60 miles a day to work (one) way I didn’t ask any qualms about purchasing a Acura product. My problems started with my brakes, I had about 4,300 miles on it when I noticed a severe vibration in the steering wheel when I applied pressure to my breaks. I took my car in and they fixed it with little questions asked. However about another 8 to 10k miles went by and I noticed the vibration coming back once again. I took it in once again but this time they gave me more of a problem when it came to fixing it under warrantee. I eventually came out on top and got them to replace my rotors and break pads. After all of this I thought the problem would be fixed, I was wrong. I noticed the vibration came back after about 20k more miles. I took it back in and they refused to fix the problem even though its been a ON going issue.

My next problem is with my air conditioner. I have had it in 3 times total to get it fixed finally on the 4th time it has been ok. Although it has been cold outside for the last 3-4 months so I don’t know how well it will work in the summer.

My last problem is with my radio. The lights (on the buttons) keep on going out. When I first got my car from day one my lights flickered on the dash decided to take it in. Of course they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. The lights finally went out on the radio. To make it short the lights on my radio have gone out 3 times and now they are giving me a hard time about fixing it even though this has been a re accruing problem.

My question is who else has had these problems? If you don’t mind I would like you to state your problems and tell me how many times you have had it in for it. Please at least state your first name and What state you live in. I want to know if there is anything I can do to get to dealer to buy back my car from me (lemon law) or what legal action I can take.

Thank you for listening
Old 03-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Racer

Yikes! Sounds like you have gremlins. No issues soo far for me *knock on laminated, synthetic wood grain styled panel*
Old 03-29-2005, 02:03 PM
aka davo-tsx

I hope there are no issues with warped rotors like on the CL. That's one of the things that annoyed me the most about my old car. I took my car in and there was already a TSB about it...

# 01-017 MAY 03 Brakes - Pedal/Steering Wheel Vibrate When Braking
00-037 OCT 03 Brakes - Brake Disc Refinishing Guideline
Old 03-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer.

A few members have had problems with the brakes and I know sauceman had trouble with his A/C. The radio should be replaced under the warranty as there is a TSB issued for it too.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Instructor

im also having vibration problems in my tsx.Im taking it in for the 4th time next week the first 2 times they told me it was perfectly fine.

My car really has 3 annoying problems.one is bad vibration at idle im taking like you can visually see the steering wheel shake.two is vibration thru the pedals and steering wheel while driving.And the infamous windshield rattle.

Droped in there the other day and basically said if these issues are not resolved im getting rid of the car. If they get mean with me i will call the BBB and demand a new car.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
reminds me of ...
Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer.

A few members have had problems with the brakes and I know sauceman had trouble with his A/C. The radio should be replaced under the warranty as there is a TSB issued for it too.
Definitely go to a different dealer. Sauceman has had some similar issues, but it sounded like he has been receiving excellent service from his dealership. In fact, I think he even wrote a thread last week praising them. Switch dealers, and complain about the service of the dealership you're currently at to Acura.

Good luck man....sorry to hear about your problems.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just noticed the same problem today. I just moved to D.C. so I am on the brakes more and it vibrates all the way down to under 40mph. Just went of 20k so I am going to have the brakes looked at when I take it in.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered Abuser

Sorry to hear that you have had all these problems with your TSX. Sorta ruins the experience of what is otherwise a great car. What the others said -- try a different dealer and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. You want to know exactly what they do to the car to try and resolve the problems every time you bring it in. You're probably already doing this.

On another note, I'd love to see a long term writeup for the TSX in a magazine like Car and Driver. Magazines are notoriously hard on long term test cars. With the TSX being what amounts to Honda's latest and greatest Accord, I can't imagine that they'd let a lot of quality control stuff slip by.

I really believe that some cars are just "born bad" (not in the Christine sort of way ) but true lemons. Somehow different problems that show up on different cars just by luck can all appear on the same car. Sucks, but that's the laws of probability. Maybe switch brands and go for Toyota/Lexus?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered Abuser

illmeltwithyou, could you tell us your VIN, or at least the last 6 digits of it? Also, is it Nav/Non-Nav, 5AT or 6MT? You say you've had it for a year and 1/2, so I assume its a 2004.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Eeyore
Sorry to hear that you have had all these problems with your TSX. Sorta ruins the experience of what is otherwise a great car. What the others said -- try a different dealer and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. You want to know exactly what they do to the car to try and resolve the problems every time you bring it in. You're probably already doing this.

On another note, I'd love to see a long term writeup for the TSX in a magazine like Car and Driver. Magazines are notoriously hard on long term test cars. With the TSX being what amounts to Honda's latest and greatest Accord, I can't imagine that they'd let a lot of quality control stuff slip by.

I really believe that some cars are just "born bad" (not in the Christine sort of way ) but true lemons. Somehow different problems that show up on different cars just by luck can all appear on the same car. Sucks, but that's the laws of probability. Maybe switch brands and go for Toyota/Lexus?
No magazine can do what Sauceman has been able to do. He's over 100k miles (if I remember correctly) and he's done a few long-term reviews.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
No magazine can do what Sauceman has been able to do. He's over 100k miles (if I remember correctly) and he's done a few long-term reviews.
Good point, I forgot about the Sauce.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Advanced

20,000 miles and the rotors and pads have been replaced twice.

No issues with either dealer... Appletree in Fletcher, NC and Performance in Chapel Hill the second time.

The Acura dealer I would avoid (and did for a year) was Pye Acura in Chattanooga. They did not want to fix anything. They told me they could not find the problem with my RSX (2nd gear grind) even after driving a whole 3.4 miles. They are just plain jackasses.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:05 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't had not one problem with my TSX.... I love it, almost at 20,000mi's and the only thing I've had replaced/changed is the oil/filter, Mobil 1 of course.
Good luck with resolving your problems, and I suggest seeing a different dealer.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:02 AM
4th Gear

Yeah My car is a 04 about a year and a half old. has about 55k miles on it. 6MT has the gun metal rims on it. I really do love this car its sporty yet luxurious I really don't want to take the lemon law road but if i have to I will do so. Thanks guys for posting your thoughts and your problems. My goal is to get around 40 to 50 people posting with some of the same problems i have. That way i can document this and will help me out in my case.

Thank you TSX owners.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by illmeltwithyou
Hello TSX owners. I am here to try to get a petition going and to see how many other people have also had these problems with their TSX.

I have had my car for about a year and a half and have just over 50 thousand miles on my car. I bought a Acura because Honda is known for its long lasting cars and reliability. Because I am driving about 60 miles a day to work (one) way I didn’t ask any qualms about purchasing a Acura product. My problems started with my brakes, I had about 4,300 miles on it when I noticed a severe vibration in the steering wheel when I applied pressure to my breaks. I took my car in and they fixed it with little questions asked. However about another 8 to 10k miles went by and I noticed the vibration coming back once again. I took it in once again but this time they gave me more of a problem when it came to fixing it under warrantee. I eventually came out on top and got them to replace my rotors and break pads. After all of this I thought the problem would be fixed, I was wrong. I noticed the vibration came back after about 20k more miles. I took it back in and they refused to fix the problem even though its been a ON going issue.

My next problem is with my air conditioner. I have had it in 3 times total to get it fixed finally on the 4th time it has been ok. Although it has been cold outside for the last 3-4 months so I don’t know how well it will work in the summer.

My last problem is with my radio. The lights (on the buttons) keep on going out. When I first got my car from day one my lights flickered on the dash decided to take it in. Of course they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. The lights finally went out on the radio. To make it short the lights on my radio have gone out 3 times and now they are giving me a hard time about fixing it even though this has been a re accruing problem.

My question is who else has had these problems? If you don’t mind I would like you to state your problems and tell me how many times you have had it in for it. Please at least state your first name and What state you live in. I want to know if there is anything I can do to get to dealer to buy back my car from me (lemon law) or what legal action I can take.

Thank you for listening

You should check your state's Lemon Law. I know in Colorado if you have to take your car back to the dealer more than 7 times in the first 12 months and the dealer cannot resolve the problem you are allowed by law to a total refund. It sounds like you might be closing in on 7 visits with no solution in sight.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:16 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by NightShredder
You should check your state's Lemon Law. I know in Colorado if you have to take your car back to the dealer more than 7 times in the first 12 months and the dealer cannot resolve the problem you are allowed by law to a total refund. It sounds like you might be closing in on 7 visits with no solution in sight.
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s pretty close to being the same in every state. I know it’s 7 times like you said but it doesn’t have to be the same consistent problem. For the same problem it’s 4 times with in the same time period. I’ve done (some) research on the matter but not 100% sure how right I am. I called the district rep yesterday and got some answers out of him but it was still a bit shady.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by illmeltwithyou
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s pretty close to being the same in every state. I know it’s 7 times like you said but it doesn’t have to be the same consistent problem. For the same problem it’s 4 times with in the same time period. I’ve done (some) research on the matter but not 100% sure how right I am. I called the district rep yesterday and got some answers out of him but it was still a bit shady.

Don't talk to a district rep he is not your advocate in this situation, talk to someone who knows how to do legal research. Each state sets their own Lemon Laws that are lobbied hard by the auto industry. The industry has a large financial interest in the details of what defines a "Lemon" in the legal sense. But the laws are all similar in each state except for these details. Such as how many times constitutes a "Lemon" and what time period from the sale of the car that the law valid and so forth. It is the details that will help you decide where you stand in getting another car or a refund. I suggest looking on your state's web page and look for links to the legislature because that is where you will find what you are looking for. You might have to page through some dry reading, but it is all public record and everyone has access to it free of charge. You just have to know where to look. Also some law schools have students who participate in free workshops that offer legal pointers. I would not call it advice, but they point you in the right direction as far as what the law says.