I've had it with this mysterious knocking noise!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had it with this mysterious knocking noise!!!!!!

Basically I have this knocking, clunking noise coming from the rear of my car. I have tein ss coilovers, 19's and a comptech rear sway, but the car has been making this noise way before any of those mods.

I have tried stripping the trunk bare, taking the sway off completely, checking everything underneath the car, I really dont know what else to do.

Its not bad on the highway, but more at low speeds, on backroads, or on uneven pavement.

I have had other cars that were dropped with rims, I understand that with that the car will transmit certain noises, but this knocking I'm hearing is not normal.

I need to fix this

I'm open for any suggestions, If anyone has any ideas please speak up!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my CT sway used to make a clunking noise until I re-torqued the bolts holding the brackets on. That would be my suggestion...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:18 AM
5th Gear

i have the rattle because the license plate frame is not fully attached to the car. There are two bolts to secure the top of the frame, but there are no holes to secure the bottom frame. So it rattles.

How do you re-torque the frame?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:11 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for the bottom license frame noise, go to home depot/lowes and get some plastic bumpers (ones you put on foot of a desk) and stick it on the back of the license plate or frame.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you get it investigated by the dealership?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by IneedaTSX
Basically I have this knocking, clunking noise coming from the rear of my car. I have tein ss coilovers, 19's and a comptech rear sway, but the car has been making this noise way before any of those mods.

I have tried stripping the trunk bare, taking the sway off completely, checking everything underneath the car, I really dont know what else to do.

Its not bad on the highway, but more at low speeds, on backroads, or on uneven pavement.

I have had other cars that were dropped with rims, I understand that with that the car will transmit certain noises, but this knocking I'm hearing is not normal.

I need to fix this

I have the same problem. But i seem to notice it more when the weather is cold/wet. Same for you? Lot of people have talked about this problem, yet no one really has found a solution. I'm still searching like u are.
BTW, i have an A=spec suspen. and Comptech Rear sway.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Instructor

As far as the rear plate, I already have rubber weather stripping under it so thats not it. I never went to the dealer to have them look at it, but now that I have coilovers and rims, I'm sure they would blame it on them.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

The same problem was fixed on my EuroAccord two days ago in stealership - the problem was related with drain-pipe going from sunroof to left side of the trunk. Drain-pipe wasn't fixed properly and was knocking-clunking on rough road surface. They used noisebuster and double-sided scotch to fix it.

I hope it will help ...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Do you have a picture of where the drain is? Or can you explain it to me? I want to try this
Old 07-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech

If you pull your left driverside trunk liner out, you'll see the drain hose.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Racer

I just installed my Comptech Rear sway and there was a noticeable clanking noise at idle... I too retorqued the bolts and it worked like a charm no noise or understeer! Also maybe the sway bar is rubbing against your exhaust? Try using lower hangers for the exhaust to prevent a rub, this was a problem for me and new hangers solved it pretty quickly...
Old 07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Instructor

I also noticed that when I open my driver door, I hear a clunk.....I'm pretty sure its the same clunk I hear when driving
Old 07-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Instructor

I tired the sunroof drain, still makes the noise........any other thoughts?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I tired the sunroof drain, still makes the noise........any other thoughts?
check to see if the end links are broken
Old 07-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Instructor

ok I've done the sunroof drain, checked the endlinks, torqued the sway bar and it still makes the noise.

Today while the car was at idle, I hear the same knocking coming very lightly from my driverside muffler. I am 99% sure that that is the problem, Its raining hard so I cant do it today, but I am going to try to fix it.

I'm thinking maybee adding more hangers, or replacing the rubber on the hangers with heavier duty ones.

Now that I'm pretty sure its the muffler, I could bring it to the dealer, but odds are they will blame it on the aftermarket stuff, even though the exhaust is stock.

Anyone have any experience with exhausts? What would be a sure fix if this turns out to be my problem?
Old 07-16-2005, 03:24 AM
10th Gear

I need to fix this

you might want to check your swaybar link. i'm not very sure it is the same noise that my friednd's car have. his car made a "noise" when he drove on a badroad, or unpavement street, or at bump, etc. we spend alot of time to figure it out what that noise was and at last we found out it was from the swaybar link (both side). after we replaced that "noise" is gone. i know that "noise" is botering alot. good luck.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:35 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

my car made a weird clicking sound too. and it was loud and obnoxious over any kinda rough surface... took it to the dealer in and out in one day, they said there were a few bolts semi loose on the frame???
Old 07-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Yeah I've checked the endlinks, everything is fine. I am bringing the car into the dealer on thursday so we'll see what happens
Old 07-17-2005, 02:19 AM
10th Gear

Yeah I've checked the endlinks, everything is fine. I am bringing the car into the dealer on thursday so we'll see what happens
how did you check those? visually? or did you disconnect it?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheBiggyBik
how did you check those? visually? or did you disconnect it?

I checked them visually, disconnected them, even took the sway bar entirely off......still the same noise.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Hey everyone, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

For a while I was convinced that it had something to do with the rear chamber kit that I had on the car. I was willing to deal the noise untill I could take the rear chamber off.

Well the rear chamber is off, its still making the noise.

I have been to 2 acura dealers, both were "unable to duplicate the problem".

They said it knocks just as much as any other TSX, which is BS!!!!

They also tried to blame it on the new 6x9 speakers I installed, saying that the speaker harnesses are bouncing around in the trunk

I'm clueless, I've checked everything under there...had both acura dealers and mavis check and they tell me everything is secure....but it still knocks!!!!!!!!

Anyone out there have any ideas?