I hit a curb while driving drunk, messed up my car, tried to blame it on the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Why would we close the thread? If you're going to come and tell everyone that you were stupid enough to drive drunk and hit a curb to cause damage to the frame of your car, I'm of the thought that a little humiliation might not be a bad thing. Should make you think twice about doing something that stupid again.

And if you don't want to hear what people have to say, you don't need to read the thread.

NOTE: Title changed...
Old 02-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Team Owner

dealer messed up my car... not going to fix it.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:44 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
the only one you should blame is yourself-driving while intoxicated and underage at that-DUMB- Just be glad it was only a curb you hit. Then you go blame the dealer-if I were them I would ban you.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the repairs will cost only $100 vthree...My repairs were way above that amount. My car had frame damage and components on the roof had to be replaced like the moon-roof rails. Also parts of my driver side suspension had to be replaced after the initial repair for the rim and bumper.

If you have comprehensive coverage, just say you hit a curb coming home one night and had your car fixed. But then you noticed that your roof started to bend. You can file a supplemental claim which is after the fact since some damage like this does not show up right away.

Best of luck.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 AM
East Coast Crew

I wouldn't make fun of him because he's a lot smarter than most of you guys. He was actually able to do the non-navi to navi conversion himself and he was 19.

Vince, I doubt it was caused by running over a curb. It just sounds pretty bullshit that it will happen. Your suspension has to cause a super amount of stress to the chassis for that to happen. Maybe time for some bars and braces.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to close this thread b/c it is very painful to read the reason for the abuse to the car, but I'm enjoying the responses of folks.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i would like to request a troutslap to everyone who posted in this thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Finding my TL-S

what a great thread to read early in the morning after a stressing exam..ahhh..
Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is this a frame flexing a common problem?

I ran over a curb making a right turn into a parking lot last year
and ended up getting a big knot on my front right tire.
Was going about only 20...

Also, there are tons of pot holes all over Indianapolis.

Just 2 nights ago, went to Walmart, and trying to avoid the big pot holes on the road, went through the parking lot.
But since it was night + pot holes were cover with water, didn't see them in the parking lot and my back wheel went in causing my whole car to feel like it was tipping over

Should I be worried too??
Old 02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by vthree
i'm glad that there are 0 mods who will close this thread. because everyone bashing me is very productive for this forum

Hopefully everyone else will learn that drunk driving in inexcusable. Pisses me off to no end hearing stories about drunk driving. Don't do it again.

Pisses me off even more that the TSX frame will bend like that from hitting a curb.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:06 AM
TSX

Originally Posted by visuelz
I wouldn't make fun of him because he's a lot smarter than most of you guys.

That's an idiotic statement I would have used in the 3rd grade.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Savio
That's an idiotic statement I would have used in the 3rd grade.

You should read this guy's other comments. He's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. Ignore him.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Team Owner

vthree, we all make mistakes, it's in our nature to do the right
thing and fix what we've done wrong. It was wrong for you
to drive drunk, and it was wrong for you to try and make some
bullshit up for your claim. Don't get me wrong. I've done it myself
(except for the bullshit insurance part.) Get it done right, get your
story straight, man up and take responsibility for your actions.
You're the same age as me, and we're not children anymore.
If you're gonna fix it. Fix it right. Fix your attitude while you're
at it too. If you're not gonna take lightly to responses on a forum,
you shouldn't have posted this thread at all.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
VThree, I couldn't let you go unflamed after you claimed that you were trying to come up with a story for your insurance company. Don't even try to go that route. You've already done something dumb enough (hopefully you're learning a lesson here and won't repeat said stupidity) and you don't want to dig yourself into a deeper hole.

WRT to the frame bending. It no doubt a result of the stiffness of the frame. All the energy of the impact moves through the frame and since it's so rigid, very little dissipates until it finds something that will flex, the roof. I doubt potholes are going to cause this kind of problem because there is a lot of elasticity built into the suspension in the vertical plane. The problems most like show up when you have a strong lateral force moving through the frame. The suspension is made to be very rigid in this direction and thus transfers the force into the frame.

VThree, I highly doubt that you'll be able to get problem fixed correctly for $100. You very likely need to have the frame pulled and examined closely for popped welds and things of that nature. If you go the $100 route, don't be surprised at all if the problem reoccurs.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LukeaTron

WRT to the frame bending. It no doubt a result of the stiffness of the frame. All the energy of the impact moves through the frame and since it's so rigid, very little dissipates until it finds something that will flex, the roof. I doubt potholes are going to cause this kind of problem because there is a lot of elasticity built into the suspension in the vertical plane. The problems most like show up when you have a strong lateral force moving through the frame. The suspension is made to be very rigid in this direction and thus transfers the force into the frame.

VThree, I highly doubt that you'll be able to get problem fixed correctly for $100. You very likely need to have the frame pulled and examined closely for popped welds and things of that nature. If you go the $100 route, don't be surprised at all if the problem reoccurs.

I went out to check on my car and the roof looks fine.

As for VThree... and his $100 fix,
I can only image how pissed and ripped off the person buying his car in the future will feel

It won't be on the CarFax report so the person will probably just blame Acura..
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I don't think anybody here is making "fun" of him. We're just showing our disapproval of actions he took. Driving while intoxicated is very serious. You may not think it's a big deal, but when you've had people in your life die because they were hit by a drunk driver...it hits home. You can't use the "oh well he's smart so it's ok" attitude...that's a poor excuse. Sure, he made a mistake (which everybody does)...but mistakes have consequences and if you can't take the possible consequences that come along with your actions...you shouldn't have done it to begin with. It's all a part of life! Maybe by some of the feedback given here he won't do it again? I'm sure that's what most people are hoping for. It may sound harsh, but it's because a majority of us are "tell it like it is" and caring people. I think it would be all around worse if we didn't care.

In any case...It is a little concerning seeing that driving over a curb can cause so much damage. I guess I now have something I can show my girlfriend that justifies my cringing any time I go over road obstacles!

I think it would take serious damage for the roof to flex. If you replace the sheet metal on the roof and the car continues to flex...won't the new piece end up like that anyway? It doesn't sound like a long term fix to me.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Hopefully everyone else will learn that drunk driving in inexcusable. Pisses me off to no end hearing stories about drunk driving. Don't do it again.

Pisses me off even more that the TSX frame will bend like that from hitting a curb.
Well, there's a difference between hitting a curb and jumping a curb at 45 mph. There's an awful lot of momentum from a 3400 lb. object moving 45 mph so I'm not too shocked that it would do some damage.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Drifting

As I stated in my post above I doubt the problem comes about from driving over a curb so much as hitting the side of the wheel/tire on the curb. You should be able take some pretty serious up and down type forces without issue.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
As I stated in my post above I doubt the problem comes about from driving over a curb so much as hitting the side of the wheel/tire on the curb. You should be able take some pretty serious up and down type forces without issue.
Ahhh. Got it!

I did something similar, but I wasn't drunk...

I was visiting some friends in Sequim, WA a few years ago (when I had my '96 T-Bird). I took a ferry from Kingston to Edmonds (because ferries are rare in California, and it was cool!). When I got off the ferry in Edmonds, I got a little lost while looking for a place to get lunch. I made a U-turn, but wasn't completely paying attention due to being a little frustrated. I was going probably 30 MPH and drove up and back off a curb with both passenger side tires. Was very loud and I was a little scared I messed something up...but I didn't! Didn't scratch a rim, but scuffed the front tire a little. I sat in the parking lot of the fast food place for about 20 minutes inspecting everything. I know I won't do THAT again!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't make fun of him because he's a lot smarter than most of you guys. He was actually able to do the non-navi to navi conversion himself and he was 19.

hahhahaha are you serious?

driving drunk doesnt sound all that smart to me
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
08 MDX with Sports

I want to add that not only I want to slap you for drinking/driving but I want to slap your friend for letting you drive that night..

Its painful to read about people hitting curbs left and right with TSX ouch..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Team Owner

<-- Wants to know how $100 will fix that.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 AM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by jlukja
<-- Wants to know how $100 will fix that.
Asian people will find a way. =]
Old 02-08-2008, 11:48 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm.. well really at first it didn't occur to me that hitting the curb caused the damage to my roof. and I seriously didn't think the dealerships car wash did it... I was trying to look for an excuse to the insurance co. I brought my car in to get my o2 sensor checked bc after my reflash I was having a cel come on for a/f ratio.. and based on other threads it was the o2 sensor.... I'm definitely pissed off at myself. about what happened. and I do intend to man up. I have to talk to my boss so I can go back to work. I'm trying to stay off from working for this sem until I get into nursing school. sorry about my angry caps. me and my gf just broke up recently and had an argument last night. so much stupid stress in my life right now. which is part of the reason why I drank so much that night. friends are somewhat shitty. and I don't really have much but my car and this forum. god and now my car is messed up ...

as far as driving... my alignment isn't so much off? nor does my wheel seem displaced off from the middle...

I have lifetime alingments at firestone so I'm havin them do an alignment and going to check for any serious injuries...

ill have to fix my car later on after I even save enough money to get it fixed. I might just have them paint the roof black too.

as far as the next person to have my car? I don't plan on it.. I've done so much to this tsx. I wouldn't even want to trade it for a new one...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Pro

While the new thread title is PRICELESS, and the best laugh I've had for a month, I think we're coming down a bit hard on V3, at least on the part where we keep accusing him of trying to blame the dealership. But this...

...I don't see ANY relevance here at all.

And V3, I hope you went back and told the dealership the real reason the car got messed up.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Asian people will find a way. =]
this is unfortunately true. but you also get what you pay for.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor

So by that rational its okay to make fun of someone who drives drunk as long as they are dumb?

Seriously, driving drunk is the dumbest thing ANYONE could ever do. Call a cab even if its $100 its well worth it. Taking into account that the average cost of a DUI is over $5k.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Instructor

I realize that everyone makes mistakes, crashed my first car when I was 16 while spinning out in a parking lot. But honestly no excuse for driving drunk. I had a friends mom who was paralyzed from the waist down because some dumb shit didn't want to leave his car at the club....
Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro

I gotta take a step back. I hadn't read the through posts on page 3 yet. I didn't realize he had considered making up a story for the insurance claim... on that.

Kudos for coming around and "intending to man up" though.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Oh well it's

Way to go fucktard, should'nt be driving drunk. I think the dents on your roof are well deserved. Rather a damaged vehicle than a lost life due to your stupidity.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vthree
hmmm.. well really at first it didn't occur to me that hitting the curb caused the damage to my roof. and I seriously didn't think the dealerships car wash did it... I was trying to look for an excuse to the insurance co. I brought my car in to get my o2 sensor checked bc after my reflash I was having a cel come on for a/f ratio.. and based on other threads it was the o2 sensor.... I'm definitely pissed off at myself. about what happened. and I do intend to man up. I have to talk to my boss so I can go back to work. I'm trying to stay off from working for this sem until I get into nursing school. sorry about my angry caps. me and my gf just broke up recently and had an argument last night. so much stupid stress in my life right now. which is part of the reason why I drank so much that night. friends are somewhat shitty. and I don't really have much but my car and this forum. god and now my car is messed up ...

as far as driving... my alignment isn't so much off? nor does my wheel seem displaced off from the middle...

I have lifetime alingments at firestone so I'm havin them do an alignment and going to check for any serious injuries...

ill have to fix my car later on after I even save enough money to get it fixed. I might just have them paint the roof black too.

as far as the next person to have my car? I don't plan on it.. I've done so much to this tsx. I wouldn't even want to trade it for a new one...
Do yourself a favor and find new friends.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
2006 ASM tsx

ok.. some relief...

just had an alignment done. and a few quotes on fixes..

alignment.. they were actually able to align the car.... my front right casture [sp] is at the max. 4.0....
due to the right control arm being bent.... [so the wheel does look like its pushed back]
no damage to the rim. no major damage to the frame.

the ROOF of the car is another story... also good to know... all the damage incurred is from the actual flex? i think thats how he phrased it... he said none of it will get any worse... so i have time to save up to fix it....

the quote from that guy for the roof was $800.... while another quote was $300 [don't really trust that shop] I also ran into an individual one man shop and he said he could do it for $400...
i'll just have a bruised car for a while.... =/

control arm = $126 or so.
fixing roof. $300+
Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Advanced

all together.. 426 and counting + beers for one night of fun.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I don't agree with Vthree, I feel like he has already gotten the message and he intends to take responsibility for what happened. It sounds like he already feels bad about the situation, so I'm not going to keep kicking him while he is down. We were all young once and we have all made mistakes in our lives. It's a part of growing up. It's how we react and grow from those mistakes that define us and the type of person that we become as we get older. If anything, I think he is learning a valuable lesson and in the end I hope it will make him a better man who uses better judgement in the future.

Vthree, since you were a good member of the forum up until now, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt this time. I wouldn't have thought to check my roof either after hitting a curb, so I hope that when you started the thread, you really hadn't noticed the roof damage before and truly thought that the dealer did it. In the future, just think twice about what you're doing. Get a designated driver or take a taxi if you've had some drinks. And don't try to come to the forum to have us help you do anything dishonest.

Just my
Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Ludacris Speed GO!

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Why would we close the thread? If you're going to come and tell everyone that you were stupid enough to drive drunk and hit a curb to cause damage to the frame of your car, I'm of the thought that a little humiliation might not be a bad thing. Should make you think twice about doing something that stupid again.

And if you don't want to hear what people have to say, you don't need to read the thread.

NOTE: Title changed...
True
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Is waiting in

Reading all of this makes me want to go drink and drive.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:56 PM
who dat lil kid?

omg...please change your picture...you've just embarrassed us...

v3...forgive and forget man...just stay in Arlington and concentrate on school man
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Learning as I go

Cooooldd man, that was cooold. hahah

Did you tell your father yet?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Originally Posted by pure_ecstasy
Cooooldd man, that was cooold. hahah

Did you tell your father yet?

no. im not going to. i called up my boss and will start working again... gonna save up and fix it myself...

lesson learned.