I hit a curb while driving drunk, messed up my car, tried to blame it on the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hit a curb while driving drunk, messed up my car, tried to blame it on the dealer

Today i brought in my car to have the o2 sensor replaced... I had to leave so i left and went back to school for a meeting. came back about an hour and a half later.. didn't notice anything at first.. then later on i was just outside looking at my car.. i had my sunroof tilted.. and WOW there's a HUGE dent near the sunroof. on all four corners..
near the passenger side the roof even has a crease now... so i called back the dealership and drove up right away... they make me wait for 45 mins. and the service Manager comes out. says well theres some hail damage right here.. oh and i used to work at a body shop. this dent is from someone sitting on top of the car.... [what a load of bs] i go around the whole damn dealership asking for a general manager. but then all they do is say he was the highest one of service....
on top of that. they say that it couldn't have happened today since there is "rust" in one of the dents where the paint cracked..... i think they're car wash machine messed up my car... and i believe that maybe the soap or some chemical could have easily caused the metal to rust. please give me some feed back on what to do next!

here are the pictures....

Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Whoa, what a crappy dealership, did you ever experience such problems with them before? I would make sure to get into contact with senior ranking official at the dealership. I am sure there is a way of filling a damage inquiry or report with that dealer. I am at a loss for words, yourself being a paying and loyal customer and this is the type of service and treatment you get in return.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ow! that sucks, Try to contact Acura HQ. See if you can get something done from their end since the Dealer won't admit fault. Not sure if your insurance will do anything about it since the dealer is at fault.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow. Don't stop until you talk to the GM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch!

That really sucks. Happened to my car. I hit a curb on a down-hill turn around 45mph. There was frame damage to my car.

My 2006 TSX with 800 miles on it back in Sept 2006:

All sorts of bending:

The sunroof area of the car is one of the weaker parts of the car.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

^^ hitting a curb caused that type of structural damage? Shocking! did you get the roof repaired? Maybe you could assist ‘vthree’ in the process; my guess is it was probably repaired with some sort of dent removal procedure, maybe removing the sunroof give you access to the roof sheet metal?

on a side note, context not really related, I was lightly rear-ended while stopped at a intersection, no visible damage what so ever, turns out it actually shifted my rear bumper and door gaps significantly.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

idk about the car wash so that would mean evry1s would get messed up i think im not letting them wash mine anymore! they dont even wash it too good at my dealership damm that sucks that should fix it and if not u shpuld key their cars!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

How would keying the cars solve the problem? He also stated that he thinks’ the car wash had something to do with the damage, but after reading ‘GTsx’ post it looks like it might be structural damage, maybe a reckless test drive.

...and please 'tsx4lyfe' use some sort of word processing or at least a dictionary, its very hard to make sense of your posts.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Banned

Gtsx could that happen if the bass in the stereo is too loud something always makes this loud crack noise wen i play this one song guess i should lower bass? or is something off track wit sunroof? Anyone know or does this usually happen due to loud bass? thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Originally Posted by tsx4lyfe
Gtsx could that happen if the bass in the stereo is too loud something always makes this loud crack noise wen i play this one song guess i should lower bass? or is something off track wit sunroof? Anyone know or does this usually happen due to loud bass? thanks
Bro, in all honesty unless you’re running W6’s I don’t see how bass could cause that sort of structural damage, especially not with a stock radio + speakers.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Anyway ‘vthree’ getting back to topic, do you think you might have curbed the car at high speeds and not have noticed the damage? The dents could have very well been dealer caused, but however the rust spot is questionable.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Pain in the @$$

The frame damage was not immediately noticeable on my car. When I hit the curb, this is what my car looked like, no visible frame damage:

The insurance company replaced the rim, tire, and fixed the bumper for ~$1100 at a Honda Collision Center.

After a few weeks of driving around I heard a loud THUD driving to work. It was the moon-roof separating from the body.

Took the car back to the Honda Collision Center to get this repaired. Found out the following after the center did a detailed search:
  • My frame was "flexing" from the accident and needed to be pulled back into spec.
  • My moon-roof had to be taken off and the roof metal repaired to spec.
  • The head-liner was taken off and the moon-roof rails were bent so those got replaced.

All said and done the insurance company had to shell out another $3500 for the supplemental repairs and rental car for the week.

Hope that helps ‘vthree’. Hopefully you got comprehensive coverage if the dealership does not want to pay.

Frame damage can be a weird thing, might not so up for a bit. Shows up slowly and as your car starts to "flex" starts showing up more.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

vthree, thats terrible! I also encourage you to not stop until you get this resolved on their dime. Can others weigh in on whether it would be a good idea to get his insurance company involved and say the dealer was at fault? For the cost of a deductible, perhaps he could get some documentation and a lawyer on his side.

I'd be at a loss of where to go as well man, I feel for you.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where is this rust he's talking about? Can you get some better pictures of that? If there really is rust you're going to have a real hard time getting anything from them. Nothing they'd be using would cause the body to rust in less than a day.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 PM
2006 ASM tsx

g...I did the same exact thing! I ran over a curb with just one wheel..... my bumper was just like urs... omg I didn't realize that hitting a curb could mess up my roof! damn... iono what I will tell my dad.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:31 PM
2006 ASM tsx

god I'm so screwed...... can I wait it out on the repairs????
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Intermediate

vthree, I would not wait out too long on the repairs. The damage is just going to get worse over time as the frame flexes more. If you wait too long, you could have title problems. In some states if your frame is bent past a certain threshold [or bent at all in CA], the car has an auto-salvage title.

My roof did not start bending until a few weeks after I got my car fixed for hitting the curb. Hopefully your dad will understand...

Also better check out on your suspension were you hit the curb. The repair shop missed my suspension the first go.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
where is my garage?!

that's horrible.

i've taken my car into an acura dealership once so far since i bought it (07). they have this horrible wash bay where they 'clean' your car. it looked just as dirty as it did when i rolled in there. going forward, i'm specifically going to request they not was my car based their inability to clean it well, potential for more swirls (they have those big car wash fabric flaps), and now these dents.

keep fighting for your car. they're going to try as hard as they can to stonewall you.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

On a side note I never let them wash the car, (the dealer). I’ve heard some horror stories about swirl marks and what not; I rather not take the risk especially with my father’s NBP MDX, obviously because it being NBP.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Still Lovin my 06

i had a similar probleme like this. i never noticed anything wrong with my sunroof, and then one day this summer, i saw a paint chip on the roof while at the beach. it was rusting.

well, then, i noticed the dents in all 4 corners of the sunroof, with one corner of the glass sunroof actually sitting down below and not flush against the roof.

i spoke to the District Manager who actually works for Acura and not the dealership. He said he believes it could have been caused by a number of things, such as a garage door, or something, but would fix it as a good faith gesture.

i kept saying.....i understand some people come in and try and get things covered under warranty, but why would i lie about something like this.

the car is garage kept, it's in meticulous shape. the inside still smells new carish.

if i were you, i would contact someone on the district level and say you know someone in new jersey that had a very similar problem and theirs was taken care of. if you need to, you can contact me and we can discuss.

maybe there is a structural problem with the sunroof of the TSX. at the very least, you can threated to write to edmonds, consumer reports, the local newspaper, the local news shows, and some national news shows.

that will get them thinking at least.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 PM
2006 ASM tsx

ok everyone... the dealership didnt do it...

me running over a curb with one wheel at 45 mph.. did it.
so frustrating... my tire didnt even loose any air..
it got curbed tho along with the rim...
just can't believe it caused my sunroof to flex so much..... whats a good local shop for me to go to??

mods please change the title of this thread to "I hit a curb at 40mph..."
Old 02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Still Lovin my 06

dang man. sorry to hear that. not to add salt to the wound, but how the heck did you hit a curb doing 45mph?

hope you find a good shop. maybe you can sell a story to the insurance company that you must have hit a pot hole and that caused the damage? only cost the deductible?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Got Phó?

damn, hitting a curb did that? WTF?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Originally Posted by bradykp
dang man. sorry to hear that. not to add salt to the wound, but how the heck did you hit a curb doing 45mph?

hope you find a good shop. maybe you can sell a story to the insurance company that you must have hit a pot hole and that caused the damage? only cost the deductible?

i'm trying to think up a story so my insurance doesnt sky rocket and it's resonable to my dad.... .. ok i was a lil tipsy.. im so pissed man. i fuckin made it all the way home... my friends said o man u cant drive and as i was saying i can drive. i saw the light to turn into my complex and turned early..... sigh
Old 02-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vthree
i'm trying to think up a story so my insurance doesnt sky rocket and it's resonable to my dad.... .. ok i was a lil tipsy.. im so pissed man. i fuckin made it all the way home... my friends said o man u cant drive and as i was saying i can drive. i saw the light to turn into my complex and turned early..... sigh
Why on earth would you ever admit this? LAME
Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have fun with the fraud charges. You already fucked up pretty bad driving drunk and underage.

You're just choked full of genius, aren't you. Man up boy.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
who's your car insurance provider?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
TSX

What's the next story you are going to give us?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Unauthorized User

Oh wow! you drove drunk and hit a curb, and told us the dealer did that? Dude, you need to get your story straight before you people on Azine. Otherwise you're going to get Flamed, because no one is going to give you any sympathy.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Unauthorized User

Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Originally Posted by VegaTSX
Oh wow! you drove drunk and hit a curb, and told us the dealer did that? Dude, you need to get your story straight before you people on Azine. Otherwise you're going to get Flamed, because no one is going to give you any sympathy.

? i already asked the moderator to change the title. and thanks u idiots for following along.. i thought at first the dealer did it..

if you ran into a curb would you think ur roof would be fkd up? god i swear dont even try to flame.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
2006 ASM tsx

mods please just close this thread i have already found a solution
going to cost about $100 to fix it

everything else is ok.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
mods please just close this thread i have already found a solution
going to cost about $100 to fix it

everything else is ok.
You're going to be able to re-strengthen and square the frame for $100?

to the drunk driving.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Unauthorized User

Yeah whatever loser. You already screwed yourself for driving drunk. Repair for $100 another BS.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:55 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Originally Posted by VegaTSX
Yeah whatever loser. You already screwed yourself for driving drunk. Repair for $100 another BS.
Driving drunk? Are you retarded? secondly if you a hit curb that hard to begin with you must have been more than a little ‘tipsy’ but no you decided to blame the dealer from the get go when it clearly wasn’t his fault but, your carelessness.

And ya $100 is bullshit..I would like to see that statement or price qoute.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

? i already asked the moderator to change the title. and thanks u idiots for following along.. i thought at first the dealer did it..

if you ran into a curb would you think ur roof would be fkd up? god i swear dont even try to flame.
Boy and were nice to you…actually sympathized with you in the beginning, and this is what we get.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:25 AM
2006 ASM tsx

ok guys i'm going to commit suicide now! your all so perfect!!!! woohooo be happy when im dead ok?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:26 AM
2006 ASM tsx

i'm glad that there are 0 mods who will close this thread. because everyone bashing me is very productive for this forum
Old 02-08-2008, 05:27 AM
2006 ASM tsx

my friend had a wreck very similar.. he had everything fixed for 400....

now we are guessing mine since its just the roof would be about 100 or so

when i get my quote i will more than gladly make a copy of it for all u to fucking see
Old 02-08-2008, 05:31 AM
2006 ASM tsx

on top of all these things. i really did think the dealer did it at FIRST.

I DID NOT SEE A CONNECTION BETWEEN HITTING A CURB AND DENTS IN MY ROOF. would you>?

i thought the dents in the roof were completely irrelevant with my small drunk accident.
i tapped the curb. my tire is STILL INFLATED and HOLDING AIR. so HOW THE HELL WOULD ANY OTHER PROBLEMS OCCUR? I FIXED THE PROBLEMS THAT LOOK TO COME FROM WHAT I DID. I HAD MY WHEELS ALIGNED [EVEN THE DEALER LOOKED AT MY CAR AND NOTICED NOTHING] OK SO IF FOR ONE SECOND ALL YOU PEOPLE COULD JUST STOP SAYING THAT IM COMING UP WITH STORIES. AND REALIZE THAT A) I SERIOUSLY THOGUHT THE DEALER DID MESS UP MY CAR AND B) I HAD NO CONNECTION BETWEEN MY ROOF AND HITTING A CURB......

MODERATORS PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD.

Quick Reply: I hit a curb while driving drunk, messed up my car, tried to blame it on the dealer