Help confirm how the front windshield defroster works?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help confirm how the front windshield defroster works?

Hi all,

I don't know if my brain is playing tricks on me but I swear that the front windshield defroster works like this:

1) Air Conditioner turn on
2) Fan speed gradually goes to HIGH
3) Air is directed at front windshield
4) Temperature gets set to LOW

Just recently I noticed that when I use the front windshield defroster, everything above happens except #4. If I set the temp at HIGH, it stays at HIGH when I turn on the front winshield defroster.

Isn't it suppose to auto set on LOW?

Can someone please help me confirm thet it does set to LOW when using the front windshield defroster on a 2005 TSX with Navi?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Canuck

Anyone?

It's an easy test..just turn on car (make sure the temp is set to anything other then 'low)' and press the front windshield defroster..does it autoset to 'Low'?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 2005 non-navi and I see no change in the temperature setting when I press the "defrost". It stays on my set temperature.
Another reason that "low" would not be desired is that hotter air has a lower relative humidity - and that is desired when defrosting.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by darowa
I have a 2005 non-navi and I see no change in the temperature setting when I press the "defrost". It stays on my set temperature.
Another reason that "low" would not be desired is that hotter air has a lower relative humidity - and that is desired when defrosting.
Thanks darowa for respond

I pesonally could swear that it automatically goes to 'LOW'..maybe my climate control as busted before and set autosets on 'LOW' but iy self fixed now hahaha.

Thanks again darowa
Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine has never gone to LOW - but the increased (max) fan speed at the windshield might make you feel colder until the HVAC air gets warmed (once the engine is up to operating temp).
Old 11-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Air conditioning turns on to pull humidity out of the car, temp stays wherever you set it. I never run the air conditioning with my defroster, I force the compressor off and just use hot air instead. The AC on method is great for getting rid of fog buildup on the inside of the windows, and will do the job within a couple of seconds. But to get rid of ice buildup outside the car, using the AC on method doesn't do anything but use your compressor more. I don't want to overuse my AC compressor, since I have an 04 and it is prone to failure.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tangoman
Air conditioning turns on to pull humidity out of the car, temp stays wherever you set it. I never run the air conditioning with my defroster, I force the compressor off and just use hot air instead. The AC on method is great for getting rid of fog buildup on the inside of the windows, and will do the job within a couple of seconds. But to get rid of ice buildup outside the car, using the AC on method doesn't do anything but use your compressor more. I don't want to overuse my AC compressor, since I have an 04 and it is prone to failure.
I would re-think that strategy. Mainly on the basis that without being used for a few months, the AC lines, compressor, etc... can be devoid of oil. By utilizing the compressor at least once a week (as I think it mentions in the owners' manual), the oil in the refrigerant is circulated where it needs to be - the moving parts and the lines!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, its been working the same for over 4 years. I'll run it once a week, but I just know the main shaft fatigues just a bit more every time my car is 10 degrees and the AC compressor kicks on when I start it up because of the damn defroster. I just don't want to have to spend 3 grand replacing it all if it fails! My brother has a CR-V (same ac unit as us) and he just spent 5 days tearing apart the entire thing to replace the catastrophic ac failure. He now understands why the dealer quoted him three thousand dollars to replace it all...