Gurgle/liquid sound.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Gurgle/liquid sound.

Has anyone ever noticed a sound, more prevalent when stopped or just pulling up to a stoplight (etc...) that is like a gurgle or a sound similar to air bubbles escaping from under a lid? It's coming from the engine bay, just in front of the firewall it seems (from inside the car it's hard to tell, and I can't replicate the problem on-demand). Sometimes it just sounds like a very light, higher-pitched gurgle/bubbles.

I was thinking it might be the power steering pump or fluid. Any ideas? What should I look for? I'm 99% sure my fluids are all topped up but will double check this weekend.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard the fuel in my gas tank sloshing around in there. No gurgles though unless MAYBE you are hearing coolant in the heater core.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
talk about mudflaps....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I know the sound you're talking about - it's kind of faint and seems to happen as you come to a stop. I've narrowed it down to the A/C compressor. Try turning off the A/C and see if it still occurs. Remember that even in the winter, the A/C will kick in if you have the climate control set to AUTO. I found that if I turned off the A/C, that sound would disappear.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know exactly the sound you speak of. My guess is that it's water that's collected in that space under the windshield where the wiper motor is. There's a drain tube in there and I think that when you stop the water sloshes forward and tries to drain faster than the small drain tube will allow. I usually only hear it the first time I stop in the morning. It drives me nuts, not because it's particularly annoying but because I'm not sure where it's coming from. I got it on my Civic too.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 PM

Luke - I doubt it's water, since it was nowhere close to being above 0*C/32*F today here.

Coolant in the heater core is a good one... never thought of that! And the A/C compressor might be it as well. Next time I hear it I'll turn the climate control off and see if it comes back.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 AM

OK I've tried everything and still can't pinpoint why it's happening. Turning off the climate control completely has no effect - it still happens.

I even get it while cruising at 100km/h sometimes. Basically at any speed, or when stopped at a light, there's about a 75% chance it'll be audible.

It sounds like a hiss/gurgle that changes tones a lot. I'll have to double check the coolant level and all fluid levels this weekend, but I haven't seen any leaks on my garage floor, ever.

Anyone have other ideas?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My first thought was the coolant in the heater core as well. Have you done a coolant drain & fill?

I just realized that I didn't have the heater on when I did my drain & fill.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by jlukja
My first thought was the coolant in the heater core as well. Have you done a coolant drain & fill?

I just realized that I didn't have the heater on when I did my drain & fill.
My coolant would have been replaced at around 90,000km due to the new engine block being put in.

This noise started becoming noticeable over the past 3-4 months. It was very rare for a long while (but did happen), but in the past 3-4 months it's been a lot more prevalent.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
My coolant would have been replaced at around 90,000km due to the new engine block being put in.

This noise started becoming noticeable over the past 3-4 months. It was very rare for a long while (but did happen), but in the past 3-4 months it's been a lot more prevalent.

Max heat on for 10 mins once the heat is kicking hot, windows down, rev a little bit, oh and most important.... radiator cap off. Add coolant as needed. Turn motor off, top off radiator and reservoir, capa them both.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by moda_way
Max heat on for 10 mins once the heat is kicking hot, windows down, rev a little bit, oh and most important.... radiator cap off. Add coolant as needed. Turn motor off, top off radiator and reservoir, capa them both.
So basically bleed/burp the system.

Will do that this week sometime, maybe next weekend. I spent my weekend clearing the remaining snowbanks from the yard, putting on the summer tires, changing my wifes' cars' oil and washing my car. Didn't want to bother with the gurgle sound my car was making since there was more fun stuff to do.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:36 AM

OK So I did the procedure, moda_way, and the noise is still there.

I have a feeling it's the DC Header hiss. I always thought the hiss from the DC header was ONLY there during acceleration though. If the DC header hiss is kind of a hiss/gurgle sound vith slightly varying tones, sporadic, and not throttle-dependant, then this is what I'll chalk it up to.

Maybe I'll look at the flex pipe next time I'm under the car doing an oil change. I did have the v1 DC header reinforced though... so if anything it'll be the flex pipe separating?