Gear-shift Problem with a TSX 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 02:34 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gear-shift Problem with a TSX 6MT

My '06 TSX 6MT is just over two weeks old now and just under 1000 miles. Since day one, I have had intermittent problems getting it to shift smoothly, mainly into 2nd and 3rd gear. About once-twice a day it actually lurches me forward in my seat as if the clutch is coming in on an engine that is braking heavily. Other times, it is as smooth as can be...like it should be, I would think, for a car of this caliber!

I have spent probably 200 of the 1000 miles just driving around trying to figure it out thinking it was me that did not have the rhythm, yet I have owned 5 MT's in the past with no problem and made a comment to the sales guy during my test drive (different car) that it was one of the smoothest MT's I had ever driven. It appears that it has something to do with a load on the engine such as the A/C clutch, yet it still happens with the environmental controls off. I had one service guy tell me yesterday that he thought it was probably normal. Another one at a different dealer this morning said it probably isn't, yet we didn't drive it. I have an appointment Tuesday.

My questions are #1, for those who have a TSX 6MT, do you experience anything like this with yours or does it continually shift smoothly? and #2 is there anyone out there who has seen this before and did you find a solution? Please help! What a bummer to be this frustrated so early in my TSX experience...
Old 04-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
You're going to have to make some adjustments to your shifting technique to compensate for the DBW system. It keeps the throttle open for a little longer after you let off to shift.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:51 PM
my acura sanctuary

that doesn't sound right. I have a 06 6MT with 550mi. and do NOT have any similar to what you are describing I've been driving with AC on most times.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:53 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the feedback. Why though is it super smooth 50% of the time under the same level of acceleration?
Old 04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
my acura sanctuary

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You're going to have to make some adjustments to your shifting technique to compensate for the DBW system. It keeps the throttle open for a little longer after you let off to shift.
Agree ^^that DBW is a little different. I am adjusting a little myself but don't have it perfect yet. I have had 3 MT cars before this, and 3 motorcycles, so shifting is not new to me (though I am no Shumacher or Rossi)
Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 PM
my acura sanctuary

Originally Posted by Cessna
Thanks for the feedback. Why though is it super smooth 50% of the time under the same level of acceleration?
Are you near an area where there are AZine meets or other members? (funny I saw 3 TSXs drive by this morning within 20 mins while getting coffee) If you are near others, find someone who has an 06 MT and let em ride with you/drive your car. Or convince a service tech to ride along to show the issue.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:06 PM
5th Gear

The most severe examples of the condition I am talking about occur in parking lots or residential streets where I am not accelerating very hard at all, so I am not shifting from very high RPM levels...maybe 3-4k at most. I find it hard to understand how the DBW would really make much difference at these levels. You would almost think the DBW would help to improve smoothness at low acceleration.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The DBW throttle serves multiple purposes...

1. It's supposed to smooth out sudden throttle motions
2. It's used to help in emissions control
3. It's used by the VSA system to help control throttle input when the VSA kicks in

What you're running into is actually probably #2. If you're shifting quickly at low rpms, the DBW is still holding the throttle open for a moment before closing the throttle butterfly so if you shift and bring the clutch in before the rpms drop, you're going to get a bit of a lunge.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Advanced

I had the same problem, you just have to adjust to DBW. Im at almost 2k miles on my ride, and I get smoother everyday! Good Luck.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Advanced

I think its normal, because I've noticed it too. You just have to adjust. I think the reason for lunges is the TSX motor operates at pretty high rpm compared to other vehicles. For instance, in 6th gear going 70mph, the rpms are at 3000 which is pretty high for 6th gear.

So if you have driven 5 speed before, I think you kind of have to use a lower gear than what you are used to (or maybe 2 gears lower). So if you are going 40 mph in 4th and then slow down for a turn and then switch to 2nd you might get a braking lunge unless you keep the throttle up. So, try 3rd gear instead.

Anyway, its kind of hard to explain, and it all depends on the driving situation, but I think this behavior is normal.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:02 PM
5th Gear

Thanks to all who have replied. Of course it adds to the frustration when I hear that it is normal, but maybe it is. However let me elaborate:

I don't believe this is a DBW problem for the following reason...After driving home from the office this evening, I have concluded the following: When the a/c compressor engages, the problem occurs. When it is not engaged, the engine shifts smoothly. Again, this may be what everyone sees, however please understand what I am talking about is not a typical MT jerk. It is a neck-shoulder-body-throw-against-the-seat-belt sort of lurch forward when shifting (intermittently) from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. This is not every time, and again I say that when the clutch is not engaged, it shifts perfectly smoothly. Are you all seeing a difference in shift performance when you have your environmental controls on vs. not on?

Thanks again for the discussion.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Registered Abuser

Let me relate a story: Once when going on a trip, I let my sister, who is 4 years my senior, and who has been driving MT most of her life, drive my 2004 6MT TSX. That lasted about 2 miles. For some reason, she was making the car buck violently whenever she had to start from a standing stop. I couldn't really pinpoint what she was doing wrong - my best guess ended up being that she was pushing on the gas too hard, and feeling the car lunge forward, letting off, again and again. It was a very odd feeling. Bottom line is that the TSX is a really "tightly wound" car and requires a REALLY gentle touch while you are getting used to her. AFTER you get used to the car's subtle strong points, you can really wring the hell out of her, but until then, go easy.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your car is two weeks old, you're still in the break-in mode, right? If, however, you wind it out in 1st and 2nd, and then shift into 3rd once you hit your intended cruising speed, you'll get compression braking. I often go 1, 2, 4 around the city.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use all your gears during break in so that they are all run in by the time break-in is over.