DIY Injuries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY Injuries?

Ouch! My TSX bit me!
So, yesterday, I was under the hood to change out the filter, check fluid levels, clean the battery terminals, and do some various what-not items.

Anyway, I unscrewed the air cleaner element housing and twisted it out of the way, so I could remove the filter and clean out the debris underneath the filter. I had it propped open pretty well for a few minutes. Then I lifted it up, toward the engine (where it was still clamped on to the large rubber shaft/hose), and it somehow flipped up and popped me on the eyebrow.

OUCH! Long story short, I opted for no stitches, because I had cleaned it up and dressed it really well. Doc said if they did stitches, it might scar worse. Being that I'm female and a tiny bit vain, I am mostly pissed and a tad embarassed that I will now have a scar that is perpendicular to and that goes into my eyebrow. It's about 1.5" long and probably 3/16" wide.

What I want to know is: Has anyone else injured themselves while doing a little DIY on their Acuras?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
None of scar-worthy mention from my TSX, but working on my wife's Protege5 has given me TWO scars. Both were from the same day while changing the timing belt and water pump as well as accessory belts and some gaskets.

There was simply no room to get my hands in there but I had to do it, so I jammed my hand between engine and some metal bits, and there was a sharp edge that caught me pretty good. Oh well, saved a bunch of money that day and lived to tell about it.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I've punched myself in the face enough to bloody my nose. I was unscrewing a very tight bolt under my car, obliviously pulling the wrench towards myself.

Right when I thought, 'wouldn't it be funny if I punched myself', I ended up doing so. I felt like such a dumbass. FML
Old 10-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The return spring on my sweetie's Echo driver door broke one day while I was getting in, so I pulled the door panel while she napped. I was doing well until I leaned in to inspect my glue-and-tie-wrap repair ... and a metal flange that sticks out (and the door panel pull shelf bolts to) sliced me good on my forehead. I came in with blood streaming down. She didn't know what to be more shocked about, my injury or that I was repairing something as trivial as the door handle (wasn't trivial to ME).
Old 10-15-2009, 06:12 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets see for me was almost having my finger broken by the belt. I dont remember what I was doing in that area but the pulley got my nail and cracked my nail in half. Hurt like a bitch and Im a man. lol.

Thankfully my new TL comes with engine covers to prevent that. I love her but I love my TSX more cuz we shed blood, sweat and oil together.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was putting in the trunk shocks mod, I was laying inside the trunk and released one of the torsion bars. At that point I realized my legs were hanging out and went to prop up the trunk, which my movement was enough to get the trunk moving downward. I wasn't quick enough to catch it and it slammed on my ankle. Hurt like a motherf'er.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not on my car but i did an oil change for a friends 03 TL-S. It was still a little hot from the drive but stilll doable as long as i dont' touch anything. But just so happens his drain bolt is eaten away from wear and tear so pretty much the socket was useless... i get kinda frustrated and i try to muscle it and my elbow touches something extremely hot... and yeah i got a blister on my elbow =[