The evil of rocks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The evil of rocks.

I knew it would evnetually happen, and yesterday it did. On my way home a rock cracked my windshield. Yay for having to go get it repaired. I got up this morning to find it splintering down to the bottom of the glass So much for repairing it. The crack was about 8 inches, but not in my line of sight and not really noticeable since it was pretty low. When I got in the car to come back home this evening, I found a 2 foot crack from the top of the rock chip going straight across the passenger's side.
Now I have to get it replaced, so I searched to try and find some pros and cons about what kind/brand of glass is good and which is bad. I guess my search button is broken cause it didn't get me anything useful. Does anyone have any advice on things to look for or things to avoid when replacing such an important window?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I just went through a windshield replacement on my 05 TSX.

There are 3 types of auto glass. First type is auto brand glass (Acura, Honda) - this is naturally good quality but very pricey. The Acura windshield for my 05 TSX was quoted at $750. Second type is OEM glass (PPG, LOF, Pilkington) - good quality glass and these companies probably actually made the glass - prices for my 05 TSX were in the $100-150 range. The third type is OEE - original equipment equivalent glass - like Safelite - this is sometimes lesser quality.

The OEM folks have the "blueprints" for the glass and can make good replacements and often make the glass for the auto companies. Probably the only difference between OEM glass and the original glass is the name on the windshield. OEE folks don't make glass for the auto companies.

(I ended up with a Pilkington windshield. Pilkington invented the modern process for making plate glass - pouring molten glass over molten tin).

I had problems with the re-installation of the trim around the windshield. Some of the clips got broken and it took extra effort to get them replaced.

Observe the position of the windshield by looking at the little "window" where the VIN number is displayed. Initially my windshield was too low and the VIN was a bit high in the window. Look at the VIN and make sure it's centered in the little "window" - that gives you a good indication of the proper positioning of the windshield.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got my replaced in Feb. by Safelite, and it's been good/seems very sturdy. Two days ago, though, I did notice a rock chip in it, and I ain't HAPPY. I can get it repaired, but I'm sure by the time I figure out where to go and make time to do it, it'll probably spread.