Disappearing oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR
put a catch can inline with the crank brether tube and the pcv and u will see just how mouch oil is blown into the intake manifold
Didn't you read my post? They replaced the PCV waaaay back when and it didn't help at all. Others with the same problem had theirs replaced as well with equally uneventful results.
Have you ever heard of a PCV so f'd up that you get 1 quart every 600 miles (six hundred, not six thousand miles) in the catch can? Not bloody likely!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
Didn't you read my post? They replaced the PCV waaaay back when and it didn't help at all. Others with the same problem had theirs replaced as well with equally uneventful results.
Have you ever heard of a PCV so f'd up that you get 1 quart every 600 miles (six hundred, not six thousand miles) in the catch can? Not bloody likely!
it probablly would help a little ... but the oil blows through with or with out a good PCV ... put a catch can and see ... its also the main reason that REAR mains go !
Old 10-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

also look at my join date ,title and mod list you might think its possible i might have some experience with motors oil consumption and honda in general ... not to say im an expert ,im not ... but find it too coincendental that CLs blew oil through the crank vent tube and u guys have the same disappearing oil problem but its from out of round cylinder walls ? sounds alot like replacing my tranny 3 xs with a new one and ecu that has the same inheriant defect resolved our problems .... oh and replacing your short block can and probablly will reduce your cars resale value...
Old 10-06-2011, 02:48 PM

also look at my join date ,title and mod list you might think its possible i might have some experience with motors oil consumption and honda in general ...
I don't care if you just joined or have been working on Hondas for decades. I'm giving you MY experience which is 1st hand knowledge and not based upon a difference engine altogether.

not to say im an expert ,im not ... but find it too coincendental that CLs blew oil through the crank vent tube and u guys have the same disappearing oil problem but its from out of round cylinder walls ? sounds alot like replacing my tranny 3 xs with a new one and ecu that has the same inheriant defect resolved our problems .... oh and replacing your short block can and probablly will reduce your cars resale value...
Again, the PCV was replaced on mine and did nothing at all. Then the shortblock was replaced as per HONDA and the problem was solved. You'd think they would rather not spend thousands in labour and parts to replace an engine when they would be able to replace a $25 part instead. Apparently they know that replacing the small-$ part does nothing for this problem, and they know that replacing the large-$ shortblock does fix this problem.

I'm sure you know Honda/Acuras, but don't pretend that you know THE cause of THIS problem when you don't necessarily have the experience with it. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to a Senior Mod -- I already said I don't care if you're new or not -- I'm trying to get across to the other members that the problem here isn't always fixed with a cut-and-dry answer.

And, what's worse for resale value: a car that burns 8L of oil between oil changes (that's 1.5 oil changes worth of oil!), or a car that has a brand new, updated, dealer-installed bottom-end with all new valve seals, gaskets, and as such, about 1/2 of the engine mileage as the odometer reads?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so recently it turned out I had a very very small oil leak coming from an o ring between the crankshaft and the pulley. I had it changed and I will post later to see if there is any change in oil consumption.

PS. The oil leak was very minimal (a small drop per week maybe in the garage) but maybe it was leaking more under pressure while not parked.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't care if you just joined or have been working on Hondas for decades. I'm giving you MY experience which is 1st hand knowledge and not based upon a difference engine altogether.

Again, the PCV was replaced on mine and did nothing at all. Then the shortblock was replaced as per HONDA and the problem was solved. You'd think they would rather not spend thousands in labour and parts to replace an engine when they would be able to replace a $25 part instead. Apparently they know that replacing the small-$ part does nothing for this problem, and they know that replacing the large-$ shortblock does fix this problem.

I'm sure you know Honda/Acuras, but don't pretend that you know THE cause of THIS problem when you don't necessarily have the experience with it. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to a Senior Mod -- I already said I don't care if you're new or not -- I'm trying to get across to the other members that the problem here isn't always fixed with a cut-and-dry answer.

And, what's worse for resale value: a car that burns 8L of oil between oil changes (that's 1.5 oil changes worth of oil!), or a car that has a brand new, updated, dealer-installed bottom-end with all new valve seals, gaskets, and as such, about 1/2 of the engine mileage as the odometer reads?
heres what im telling you ... pcv working properly or not the crank gasses get hi enough to force oil through the PCV and back into the manifold ...if youd like proof that yours in still burning oil pull your intake manifold and note the oily residue i gaurantee you your oil issue shows back up even with your new short block oil forced through the working PCV eventually causing it to work less effectively to the point of failure ...this is the ticking sound most honds display that most mistake for valves

Last edited by typeR; 10-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

btw my hondas have been 86 accord 92 prelude,94accord 98 accord v 6 which i still own and acura cl-S heavily moddified
Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 PM

I know that all engines burn some oil. My 'new' engine hasn't burned more than probably 250mL per 8000km (a pint? per 5000 miles) since the new shortblock. The stuff that was burned is fine -- it's burning oil quarts/litres at a time that's not. There's a HUGE difference between burning 250mL and burning 8L in the same timeframe. One is normal. One isn't.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

I know that all engines burn some oil. My 'new' engine hasn't burned more than probably 250mL per 8000km (a pint? per 5000 miles) since the new shortblock. The stuff that was burned is fine -- it's burning oil quarts/litres at a time that's not. There's a HUGE difference between burning 250mL and burning 8L in the same timeframe. One is normal. One isn't.
im just saying it will probablly increase ...
Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is the PCV trust me
For the benefit of others who have TSXs using a moderate amount of oil between oil changes.... Replacing the PCV valve may drastically reduce the consumption. Our 2004 TSX has about 71,000 mile on it. I have had the oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles or every 6 months, whichever came first, since it was new. About 12,000 miles ago I noticed the car was using a noticable amount of oil between oil changes... I watched the oil level carefully and found that the car was using 1 quart every 2,500 miles. I had the PCV valve replaced by the dealer when I last had the oil and filter changed.... We have now driven 1,250 miles since the PCV valve was replaced. The oil is at exactly the same place on the dipstick that it was when I checked it the morning after the oil and filter were changed....A big thanks to TypeR for insisting the PCV valve was the culprit. On a side note...I've always checked my oil the morning after the dealers have changed it and the oil has always registered about 1/4 inch above the full mark. Is this too much oil? Does this cause crankcase pressures to be too high and, perhaps, contribute to the premature plugging of the PCV valve?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by vollum
For the benefit of others who have TSXs using a moderate amount of oil between oil changes.... Replacing the PCV valve may drastically reduce the consumption. Our 2004 TSX has about 71,000 mile on it. I have had the oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles or every 6 months, whichever came first, since it was new. About 12,000 miles ago I noticed the car was using a noticable amount of oil between oil changes... I watched the oil level carefully and found that the car was using 1 quart every 2,500 miles. I had the PCV valve replaced by the dealer when I last had the oil and filter changed.... We have now driven 1,250 miles since the PCV valve was replaced. The oil is at exactly the same place on the dipstick that it was when I checked it the morning after the oil and filter were changed....A big thanks to TypeR for insisting the PCV valve was the culprit. On a side note...I've always checked my oil the morning after the dealers have changed it and the oil has always registered about 1/4 inch above the full mark. Is this too much oil? Does this cause crankcase pressures to be too high and, perhaps, contribute to the premature plugging of the PCV valve?
Does anyone know what the recommended interval in terms of time and mileage is for changing the PCV valve? Is this mentioned in the owner's manual?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Instructor

There is no recommended interval. This is kind of funny. The three Acura dealers I have gone to for service on our TSX have all recommended service items/intervals that are not called for in the maintenance manual....fuel injector cleaner...flush cooling system every 40,000 miles or so...change manual transmission fluid every 30,000 miles etc. I had to insist that the dealer replace the PCV valve. They normally do not even stock the valve so I had to wait a week to have the oil and filter change so that they could replace the PCV valve at the same time.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vollum
On a side note...I've always checked my oil the morning after the dealers have changed it and the oil has always registered about 1/4 inch above the full mark. Is this too much oil? Does this cause crankcase pressures to be too high and, perhaps, contribute to the premature plugging of the PCV valve?
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I bring my own oil to the dealership (I bring a 5Q container of Mobil 1 FS), and I believe they always just put the whole thing in (Except for one time, where they left some in the jug and put it in my trunk). Most of the time I'm a little over. Is this a problem?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Resurrecting the thread again if I may.

Can anyone offer additional experience after changing their PCV Valve?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Instructor

I can offer an update on my experience. Oil use dropped to near zero for about 5,000 miles after changing out the PCV valve. Then it rose again although not to the previous level... It is now using about a quart every 5,000 miles. About half the amount it was using before. But, the oil use in our TSX appears to be a function of the number of cold starts. Just got back from a 2,399 mile road trip. Used only about an eighth of a quart in those 2,399 miles. The car is not leaking oil... At least there is no oil on the floor in our parking space. Maybe it is burning out of the valve guides when the engine is still running cold after start up. Haven't seen any smoke though.

Last edited by vollum; 08-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 PM
10th Gear

05 manual here experiencing the same issues. Mine is going through 3 quarts every 3,000 miles, not good.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is there a PCV valve on a 2004 TSX? I asked my service advisor at my local Acura dealer and he didn't think there was. But since they aren't always right, I thought I would ask.

Last edited by GeorgeTSX; 07-11-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just read through this thread. I have some ticking when I first turn on the car, thought it was maybe the caps needing adjustment.

Somewhere in this thread it said it could be the PCV making that ticking, which sounds like caps. The ticking fades fairly quickly and is not present after the engine warms up, only from first cold start.

Is it recommended to change the PCV? Or can we just clean it during the next oil change? I have an 06 TSX with ~125k miles.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeTSX
Is there a PCV valve on a 2004 TSX? I asked my service advisor at my local Acura dealer and he didn't think there was. But since they aren't always right, I thought I would ask.
Originally Posted by SeaJay
I just read through this thread. I have some ticking when I first turn on the car, thought it was maybe the caps needing adjustment.

Somewhere in this thread it said it could be the PCV making that ticking, which sounds like caps. The ticking fades fairly quickly and is not present after the engine warms up, only from first cold start.

Is it recommended to change the PCV? Or can we just clean it during the next oil change? I have an 06 TSX with ~125k miles.
The 04 TSX does have a PCV valve; the engines in all TSX's are essentially the same, with a few internal and external changes in the 2nd gen engine (oil filter location being one). There is no recommended interval for PCV valve replacement, but it's so easy (and cheap) to replace, I see no reason not to replace it as often as your driving style might dictate (whenever that is). All highway driving, maybe every 100K or so, mostly around town, I'd do it more often.

The noise at start up is most likely the valves; assuming they weren't, they should have been adjusted at around 105K (same interval as the spark plugs). It could also be the fuel injection; it can make a ticking noise when cold that mirrors valve clatter.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 PM
10th Gear

I've resorted to leaving nasty comments on the Acura Instagram account. I always ask why my 05 TSX is using so much oil.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Geez this sucks. My 04 6MT has 149k on it now and I think I might burn 0.25 quarts over 9k miles? Very low oil consumption trates. Now, I basically drive at 3-4k rpm on the highway all day so I don't sit up there in the rev range.

But, I'm surprised so many people are chiming in with these issues. It was my understanding that the k-series motors were a huge improvement over the older H/B/D series stuff and oil consumption was greatly improved.

My H23 in my older Prelude burned oil pretty quickly but that was up in the 150k mile range as well. I don't have much to add to this thread other than check your oil regularly and drive it until it dies.

Moving to 10w30 should NOT help and all it will do is increase your oil pressure when the car is cold.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Instructor

My 04 with 167,000 burns about 1 quart every 600 miles. It started burning oil around 90,000.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Simba91102
The 04 TSX does have a PCV valve; the engines in all TSX's are essentially the same, with a few internal and external changes in the 2nd gen engine (oil filter location being one). There is no recommended interval for PCV valve replacement, but it's so easy (and cheap) to replace, I see no reason not to replace it as often as your driving style might dictate (whenever that is). All highway driving, maybe every 100K or so, mostly around town, I'd do it more often.

The noise at start up is most likely the valves; assuming they weren't, they should have been adjusted at around 105K (same interval as the spark plugs). It could also be the fuel injection; it can make a ticking noise when cold that mirrors valve clatter.
This worries me as I am currently selling my s2000 and looking to pick up a 04-06 tsx. But which tsx got the 2nd Gen motor?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
This worries me as I am currently selling my s2000 and looking to pick up a 04-06 tsx. But which tsx got the 2nd Gen motor?
The 2 generation TSX is the 09 through present (and last) models. And to further complicate things, the first generation 06-08 models received some mid-cycle upgrades (memory for driver's seat, upgraded dash computer w/ a maintenance nanny, thicker steering wheel, the federally mandated TPMS arrived in 07, slightly upgraded power, some exteriors changes)(you can research them if you want to know all the changes). I've had both, and though many here crow about the 06-08 models, I'm less impressed with the need for the changes. And stay clear of 04 models. Many (maybe even most) are OK, but many have suffered considerable new model blues and the accompanying problems. That said, the 1st gen TSX's are getting so old now, you would probably be wise to buy as new as possible.

Don't assume the 1st gen and 2nd gen cars are comparable. They're considerably different, and in my opinion, so different that the 2nd gen car probably should have had a different name (I've had both models. An 05, 07, and have an 010 now).
Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM
10th Gear

Mine still doing it. This will be my last Acura I purchase.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Nichter98
Mine still doing it. This will be my last Acura I purchase.
Mines eat up about a quart every 1k I learned to live with it. But I've notice different oil consumption depending on what oil brand I use.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still use oil (1 - 2 quarts/6,000 miles), and it still seems that I use oil when I vtec a lot, especially when in higher gears with heavy loads/at higher speeds. 6MT, now with 155,000 miles, and the car has been using oil like that since it had 85,000 miles. Oil consumption test showed that when I drive quietly, not on the highway, during the winter, the car hardly uses any oil.

For the past two years, I've been adding Mobile1 0w40, to replace what's used between oil changes. I don't know if it's helped, but I doubt it's hurt, and I feel better.

Yesterday I passed another emissions test, again with no problems, but I did this one 8 months early, so regardless of how much oil the car uses over the next, say, 80,000 miles, it will still be licensed.

Last edited by gdcwatt; 04-13-2014 at 06:31 AM.