Creaking noises coming from the steering column / center console

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking noises coming from the steering column / center console

A few days after I got my car, I noticed some creaking noises coming from the steering column and/or the center console. Here's what I've determined so far:

- The noises are most prevelant when moving slowly (idle speed)
- The car does NOT have to be moving to hear the noises - if I turn the steering wheel while standing still I can hear it.
- The steering wheel does NOT have to be turning to hear the noises - going straight at a low speed, I can still hear the noises
- The noise is not coming from me moving around in the seat.
- The noise is not coming from the sunroof.

I took it into the dealer and they basically said "I don't hear anything" and then "Oh that's just the noise of the leather in the seat and the steering wheel" (Mike Harvey Acura).

Does anybody else have this problem?
Help!
Old 10-03-2003, 12:36 AM
The extra b is for byobb

yeah i have about 10 or so things causing creaks and noises. you just gotta get used to it. most of the tsx's out there have them. I reccomend getting into some good music, with the stereo on 12 or higher all of the noises pretty much drown out.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Instructor

This is pretty ridiculous - my wife's 97 Accord has NO noises at all.
Our old 88 Accord had NO noises at all. WTF?!?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:11 AM
8th Gear

Hey if i were you i would take it back to the dealer. This is a brand new car and there is no reason it should be making strange noises.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Racer

Re: Creaking noises coming from the steering column / center console

Originally posted by pansuria
A few days after I got my car, I noticed some creaking noises coming from the steering column and/or the center console. Here's what I've determined so far:

- The noises are most prevelant when moving slowly (idle speed)
- The car does NOT have to be moving to hear the noises - if I turn the steering wheel while standing still I can hear it.
- The steering wheel does NOT have to be turning to hear the noises - going straight at a low speed, I can still hear the noises
- The noise is not coming from me moving around in the seat.
- The noise is not coming from the sunroof.

I took it into the dealer and they basically said "I don't hear anything" and then "Oh that's just the noise of the leather in the seat and the steering wheel" (Mike Harvey Acura).

Does anybody else have this problem?
Help!
Yup, my steering column buzzes when I hit a sharp bump (sound like it's coming from the area by the tilt/telescope adjustment handle.

I just recently noticed the dash or center console creaking noises a few days ago -- pretty loud, but only when I accelerate or turn at low speed. I also did some tests, and found it had nothing to do with the seat or sunroof. Not sure what to do, or what can be done
Old 10-09-2003, 05:04 PM
CeD

Hey,

You stated that you have creaking sounds coming from the console area: Do you have the 5 speed?

If so, check to see if they are coming from your shiftgate panel. I had this problem where when I braked, and accelerated...it would creak and crack. I took it in to Acura and they took the console panel out and lind the portion that goes over the shiftgate panel with thin tape. It has since stopped. The technician told me that it was due to the plastic peices rubbing against each other.

One thing: Check the area out afterwards. In the process of repairing this... the tech scratched the shiftgate panel and also put a scratch on the top compartment door. I had them replace all panels and all is fine now.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Racer

Originally posted by brerpie
Hey,

You stated that you have creaking sounds coming from the console area: Do you have the 5 speed?

If so, check to see if they are coming from your shiftgate panel. I had this problem where when I braked, and accelerated...it would creak and crack. I took it in to Acura and they took the console panel out and lind the portion that goes over the shiftgate panel with thin tape. It has since stopped. The technician told me that it was due to the plastic peices rubbing against each other.

One thing: Check the area out afterwards. In the process of repairing this... the tech scratched the shiftgate panel and also put a scratch on the top compartment door. I had them replace all panels and all is fine now.
I've got the 6MT, but I'm happy to hear there's a potential fix for my creaking problem.

Good point also about inspecting afterwards. After my dealer fixed the dash rubbing rattle, I found black/greasy handprints all over the passenger side pillar (and I've got the Quartz interior!). I was able to get 'em off with soap and water, but it scared me. After my 5k oil change yesterday, I found little greasy specks near the driver door speaker area -- again I was able to get 'em off. I'm gonna mention this stuff to the dealer, the next time I get a chance.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Racer

I'm taking my car in to the dealer in the morning. I hope they don't give me the "I can't hear anything" treatment. This dashboard/console creaking sucks.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Racer

No luck. I had two service people ride with me to listen to my creaking dash area. I'm driving through the dealer lot doing little figure 8's, and the dash is creaking away, and they're saying, "OK, let me know when you hear it." I actually said "you gotta be kidding me, just listen."

Bottom line, they said bring it in when it gets worse -- otherwise the techs will just be running in circles trying to pinpoint the cause. I suppose they're right.

I honestly didn't think the dealer would be able to help, but knowing I tried makes the creaking a little more bearable -- although still embarrassing
Old 10-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the update. Maybe you should have let them drive it, it may be more noticeable in the driver's seat. I'll be taking it in in a few weeks, I'll let everybody know how it goes.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Racer

Originally posted by pansuria
Thanks for the update. Maybe you should have let them drive it, it may be more noticeable in the driver's seat. I'll be taking it in in a few weeks, I'll let everybody know how it goes.
Actually, I drove with the first dealer rep. Then he went and got the Service Manager, who asked to drive, and we drove around for at least 5 minutes. I appreciate the time they both took with me, but it's too bad they couldn't pinpoint (or really even acknowledge) the problem.

Hopefully someone else, with a slightly louder creak, or a service tech with better hearing, will have some luck.

In the meantime, I'm upping the RPMs and the volume to drown out the cabin noises.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:21 PM
A-TSX Driver...

For what it's worth, about a month or two ago, the dash began cracking/creaking for me. It was quite embarassing when I had people in the car. In any event, I messed around with the passenger side A-pillar - pushed it up & in near the windshield & door, and the creak has never returned. It's been three weeks now, and nothing - one rattle down, fifty to go.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

My 05 got so many rattles that I thought I'm driving a Yugo !
http://www.inet.hr/~bpauric/eindex.htm
Vistied the dealer 6 times, no luck, they must have a hearing problem or it's just me ?